Page 45 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    There is no version where we get both Jons that's going to be totally New-reader friendly. But then, not every comic is made with that in mind. And this doesn't have to be one either.
    But to be quite frank, it is and it does because of the very nature of the book. That's what they've set out to do. That's very, very clearly why they picked Jon "the son of Clark and Lois" Kent to be the only suitable successor that commands the nearest thing to Clark's level of readability while being new. It's not devoid of continuity, but it's also not going to sacrifice it's streamlined and adaptation friendly nature (Jim Lee more or less called DC comics an IP farm this time last year) just for the sake of pleasing a relatively small subsection of die-hards.

Ultimately this book will live or die by Taylor's skill as a writer and DC's promotion. And Taylor is someone who knows how to please a crowd and play to the fans...to a point. In at least this case, he won't sacrifice the new fresh start this book offers. No writer would or should in this context, and no publisher would let them.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Lois is particularly disgusting for actually going with them into space and then leaving after only a few days. Like...that's almost Morrison Talia levels of not giving a **** about your kid XD

Could she have done anything to stop what happened? Obviously not. But that's not really the point. She abandoned her child with someone that Clark didn't even trust to be alone with him. And neither she nor Clark have really had any moment to reflect on the absolutely awful situation they're in. No they shouldn't spend every waking moment angsting over it but for ****'s sake, their straight up negligence ruined their son's childhood and cost them the chance to raise him through the most formidable years of his life. But it was mostly shrugged off as easily as Jon's super traumatizing experience on Earth-3.

Because nobody at DC cares about the journey when it comes to him. They just want the instant gratification.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Right now I'm grumpy about Jon being aged up and Clark being off in space away from his supporting cast in what should be a crucial time, he should be dealing with fall out from the reveal of his identity but that story is already failing to hit all the beats before moving on to the next story.
    And from Jon being sent off into space with Jor-El (the dumbest thing Clark and Lois have probably ever done), Jon being fast aged in space, then sent to the future and aged some more, it feels wrong to so quickly separate the family again. We might accept Jon aging and moving into a new role if we were given some time to let the characters breath a little.
    tv Lois would slap the %#^ out of comic Lois if she found out about the Jor-El bullshit.

He hasn't particularly been better as he is now. At worst, he's just been such a blank slate that he has no character and constantly gets overshadowed by the Legion. At best, the times he shows personality, it's when PKJ (and I assume Taylor will follow suit) try to make him act like his old self.
    Yes, him acting as his old self is appropriate. He's the same person. Just with a lot more story potential now.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Yes, him acting as his old self is appropriate. He's the same person. Just with a lot more story potential now.
    He had plenty of story potential before. That's kind of been the whole reason this whole situation has been so annoying. He was in a super unique position before as one of the very rare examples of a character whose actual growth from a rookie kid into the man who'd one day be a hero on par with the big names but they bulldozed over all that so they could just jump right him in to him being just...yet another young adult super. Now the only thing that sets him apart is the fact that his story is nowhere near as interesting as Conner and Kara's anymore.

He had plenty of story potential before. That's kind of been the whole reason this whole situation has been so annoying. He was in a super unique position before as one of the very rare examples of a character whose actual growth from a rookie kid into the man who'd one day be a hero on par with the big names but they bulldozed over all that so they could just jump right him in to him being just...yet another young adult super. Now the only thing that sets him apart is the fact that his story is nowhere near as interesting as Conner and Kara's anymore.
    The thing that sets him apart is that he's the Son of Superman who happens to be Superman. He finally broke out of Damian's shadow and the kid stuff. Now he's a man ready to handle business.

Well, unfortunately, the man that he's grown to be isn't anywhere near as compelling to me as the child that he was and the adventures he could have had. Now he's lost most of his charm and he's just a fresh coat of paint on New 52 Superman, with some sprinkles of Mark Grayson thrown in. We have enough heroes stepping into the shoes of their mentors. With DC, we rarely actually get to see the process of a young hero growing up in the strange and unique world that they're. The world that would shape them into the adults they'd eventually be. That's a whole adventure in and of itself. One that does offer wide variety of stories and tones. That isn't to say Jon has nothing going for him now. But so far nothing I've seen or heard is worth sacrificing what we could have seen.

But that's just how I feel on the matter. Like I've said before, I'm not trying to discourage anyone who's seeing what I don't. They keep trying to make it seem like he's different from Clark but I'm not really holding out a lot of hope in that regard. Hoping I'm wrong and my mind is changed because I genuinely love Taylor's work and this is a character that I really used to enjoy reading....But this just ain't it for me so far. It gets my usual three or four issue chance but I really don't think that's gonna make much of a difference at this point.

Mighty Member

Thinking that how the public perceives a character doesn't factor into that character's experience in the comics is pretty wrong. Look at at the Guardians of the Galaxy.
    What about them? Their comics don't directly reflect the Cinematic Universe Status Quo.

Also, Jon is boring as a 10 year old.
    He wouldn't have the fanbase he did have if that were true.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    He wouldn't have the fanbase he did have if that were true.
    I don't really subscribe to this theory. It's not provable either way.

Mighty Member

I don't really subscribe to this theory. It's not provable either way.
    No, the fact that he has a fanbase is provable. And generally safe to assume that fanbases don't find characters they are fans of boring.
    Currently Reading:

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    No, the fact that he has a fanbase is provable. And generally safe to assume that fanbases don't find characters they are fans of boring.
    10 year old Jon had a fanbase, they are few and far between as of now.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I think people screaming for supersons and deaged jon would disagree.regardless,kid jon was awesome..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Just because we're quiet, doesn't mean we're gone. What good did complaining on social media do? They never listened to us...except they did. How much promotion did SSoK receive? One article on DC's official website and that's it. Where were Taylor's interviews? Where were the tweets and articles reminding us to buy the book? They knew that if they gave us any forum to voice our opposition, we would take it, and so they instead opted to do as little as possible to get the word out and just let the sheer popularity of Tom Taylor carry that book to the starting line, which is, contrary to popular opinion, not a recipe for success.

As time went on and the release date got closer (and delayed), we just slowly resigned ourselves to watching the book fizzle out because we certainly weren't going to buy it and who knows who would past the first issue.

I know I say "we" which is very assumptive and weird of me, but I'm just sharing my perspective as a Jon Kent fan observing this entire situation play out in real time and assuming it's applicable to others because, buy and large, it has.
    Last edited by garazza; 07-23-2021 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    Just because we're quiet, doesn't mean we're gone. What good did complaining on social media do? They never listened to us...except they did. How much promotion did SSoK receive? One article on DC's official website and that's it. Where were Taylor's interviews? Where were the tweets and articles reminding us to buy the book? They knew that if they gave us any forum to voice our opposition, we would take it, and so they instead opted to do as little as possible to get the word out and just let the sheer popularity of Tom Taylor carry that book to the starting line, which is, contrary to popular opinion, not a recipe for success.

As time went on and the release date got closer (and delayed), we just slowly resigned ourselves to watching the book fizzle out because we certainly weren't going to buy it and who knows who would past the first issue.

I know I say "we" which is very assumptive and weird of me, but I'm just sharing my perspective as a Jon Kent fan observing this entire situation play out in real time and assuming it's applicable to others because, buy and large, it has.
    Top ten conspiracy theories I've seen on this site.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post

We'll see what happens. I imagine even if there is initial positive buzz, I'm not sure how long it will last in this current era of DC. I mean, the new Wonder Girl got tons of buzz and her first issue sold really well, but I barely heard anything about the second one. I'm just not sure the casual readership DC is counting on will keep showing up long term.

We're still here.
    Currently Reading:

Oh, we're here.