Page 18 of 91 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I mean so far his solar flare power has mattered more for him than it has for Clark. Even if just barely XD
    Just waiting for Jon to use it to end every fight .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Just waiting for Jon to use it to end every fight .
    Jon's hair will turn blonde and spiky when he gets really angry.

Spectacular Member

But seriously, redirecting Solar Flare to his fists or whatever could be an interesting addition to his powers. It’d help him not be mini-Clark at least if he had slightly different powers or could use them differently.

Yeah. Putting more emphasis on his energy based powers than his strength would be a pretty cool road to go down. Learning to control his solar flare ability should have been the first thing he and Clark did after the Super Sons of Tomorrow fiasco. You'd think there would have been some urgency after seeing how unstable it was and how dangerous it could possibly become in the furture.

Spectacular Member

*adds to list of what DC should have done with Jon*

Now I really wish that’d have happened

Mighty Member

Yeah, can't say I'm happy about this. I like Taylor, and I know he is capable of writing a good older Jon, but this is a serious fruit of the poison tree situation. We'll see how well it sells. This will be the real test of whether Jon gets de-aged.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Yeah, can't say I'm happy about this. I like Taylor, and I know he is capable of writing a good older Jon, but this is a serious fruit of the poison tree situation. We'll see how well it sells. This will be the real test of whether Jon gets de-aged.
    Which honestly makes me feel kinda bad that I'm hoping for a Tom Taylor book not to sell. I freakin love the dude's writing but....man I do not want this to go on any longer.

Of course the problem is de-aging isn't a guarantee if the book fails. It's just the best case scenario. They could just as easily decide Jon's not viable and get rid of him. Either by killing him or reducing him to a background extra like Lois has pretty much become in Superman books. He could very well end up like Cassie (who's been irrelevant for years) or most of the lesser Teen Titans. Hell even some of the more well known Titans.

If they're that stuck then, personally, I wouldn't mind them aging him down some (even if it's not back to 10. I'd also be okay with him being Damian's age like he is in DCeased) and putting him in Titans Academy until they can think of a better plan for him (hell, that might be the better plan). He's got more of a reason to be there than Shazam lol
    Last edited by Blue22; 04-21-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Mighty Member

Which honestly makes me feel kinda bad that I'm hoping for a Tom Taylor book not to sell. I freakin love the dude's writing but....man I do not want this to go on any longer.

Of course the problem is, de-aging isn't a guarantee if the book fails. It's just the best case scenario. They could just as easily decide Jon's not viable and get rid of him. Either by killing him or reducing him to a background extra like Lois has pretty much become in Superman books. He could very well end up like Cassie (who's been irrelevant for years) or most of the lesser Teen Titans. Hell even some of the more well known Titans.
    I have to believe that eventually DC will get the message. I mean Dick and Wally faced a long road to recovery, but they seem to be stablizing. Bart was deaged and brought back to life. Granted Jon isn't as long a lived character, but the young version of him has a passionate fanbase. I hope it should work out eventually. Even if the result is a writer reconning the road to get Jon to this point and filling in the missing pieces.

That said, given Taylor is the one writing it and people were generally satisfied with his older Jon in DCeased, there is always the chance that this title succeeds. Though the low sales for Johnson's first issues might be a positive sign.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

I have no doubt that a Taylor Superman book will be just as good as his Nightwing (which has surpassed even Super Sons, Runaways, and Titans Academy as the top book in my pool right now). But it still ain't for me. Just like his Injustice books. I thought they were very good, for the most part. It just wasn't a story I wanted to see. It's not my Jon. Happy for everyone who's excited. And I am SUPER happy for Taylor (pun kinda intended). But I'm speaking for what I want.

Spectacular Member

Yeah I agree with all of this. I do think he’ll be restored...eventually. It’s similar to what happened to Dick and Wally

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

My guess is that they're hoping for a Miles Morales situation where they can have both characters operating as Superman at the same time. Fans of classic Superman get their classic Clark Kent. And fans of New 52 Superbro get...something kinda like that, maybe. At the very least something new...ish?

But...Marvel tends to handle their legacy characters a lot better than DC. Especially as of late. So I don't see that happening. The way Jon is now, I don't see it. He's just....nowhere near as endearing to all audiences as Miles is. He wasn't even that at his best, during Tomasi's reign.
    It's time to redefine what classic is.New52 or atleast Morrison's superman was more close to the original working class hero who leapt tall buildings.if jon is gonna be like that,he would be the "classic" siegel action hero superman(i doubt it considering its taylor who writes only mainstream superman).
    When you say classic it normally either means donner Superman or byrne superman.The rule clinging boyscouts.
    This is the core of superman

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Siegel
    We saved the cover. The rest of the drawings were a crude version of Superman. It wasn't really Superman: that was before he evolved into a costumed figure. He was simply wearing a T-shirt and pants;
    https://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2012...-together.html
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-21-2021 at 08:24 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GhostCryptid13 View Post
    Yeah I agree with all of this. I do think he’ll be restored...eventually. It’s similar to what happened to Dick and Wally
    How would that work exactly? What needs to be restored? Jon actually lived those years of his lives that we didn't see. This wasn't a time travel or evil clone storyline. It's not similar to Dick and Wally at all, Jon only started to exist a few years ago.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    How would that work exactly? What needs to be restored? Jon actually lived those years of his lives that we didn't see. This wasn't a time travel or evil clone storyline. It's not similar to Dick and Wally at all, Jon only started to exist a few years ago.
    The time doesn't matter for them.The time they spend with kid jon is what matters.They have a point.The kid has an audience.He can have adventures and pure unadulturated fun.He is not stuck playing hero.
    @Blue22 It's sort of like fairytale. ain't it?The whole vibe of supersons.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The time doesn't matter for them.The time they spend with kid jon is what matters.They have a point.The kid has an audience.He can have adventures and pure unadulturated fun.He is not stuck playing hero.
    @Blue22 It's sort of like fairytale. ain't it?The whole vibe of supersons.
    They don't have any point though, if the reason why he becomes kid jon again doesn't matter, why don't these disgruntled fans just support the new super sons comic instead of still tryingto make it happen in continuity.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

My my, I think there should be more Jon appreciation in his appreciation thread

The hype around the announcement is crazy, and DC was smart to use Taylor’s goodwill to win fans over. I’ve already seen many people comment “I dislike aged up Jon but Tom Taylor will probably make me like him”. For sure I thought he would be spammed with cries of “de-age Jon!” the way Superman social media has been plagued lately, so this is a good step forward. Now we just have to wait for the actual book to come out.

Nice to see Timms on art. Between him, Phil Hester, and Scott Godlewski, it seems deliberate that Jon’s stories have a animated/cartoony style to compliment his more energetic and youthful personality, while Clark has a classic, realistic art style.