Page 26 of 91 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    He still doesn't have the actual education experience from, you know, being tortured in a volcano from age 10 to 17.

Whatever. I'm never going to be ok with aged up Jon and I'm never going to stop complaining about this until he's de-aged. So I have a long time of unhapinness with the Superman sector of the DCU coming. At least another year or so at best case scenario.
    You and me both. I still regard this "Jon" as fake. Between this, and Bendis now on Justice League, I've pretty much cut out all Superman stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    Kara’s 21 so that’s not really an issue. Jon going to college before Tim though...lol.

Eh, I don’t think the American education system does much for Jon in terms of academics. His brain has super-processing speed and he’s been shown tinkering with advanced Kryptonian algorithms even as a kid. His dad brought him everywhere to train him to respond to crisis or diplomatic situations. His real education was far beyond normal than even the regular college graduate.

One thing that school does crucially provide is socialization though. I hope that Taylor addresses the fact that Jon’s only form of socialization for years was freaking Ultraman.
    American Education or not (not that I disagree there are massive issues with it), Jon still skipped out on years of education, and as you pointed out, socialization with his peers. Kara had Kryptonian education, and Conner could be explained by having the information pumped into his head during his early development. Jon? He had some elementary school and hung out either with Kathy, an alien refugee, or Damian, whom has his own social issues. And that was before Ultraman.

Incredible Member

As far as his academic prowress goes... the kid was building advanced Kryptonian robots back in Tomasi's/Gleason's run (that's how his dad and him went to Dinosaur Island), so clearly even as a 10 year old he was beyond what most high school students know of at least physics.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Whatever. I'm never going to be ok with aged up Jon and I'm never going to stop complaining about this until he's de-aged. So I have a long time of unhapinness with the Superman sector of the DCU coming. At least another year or so at best case scenario.
    I grumpily stand in stubborn solidarity with you, brother XD

I'm going to go ahead and call S:SoK as being an abysmal failure in comparison to the other Superman books, like AC and Superman and the Authority, which will do relatively well themselves. Morrison has name cache, and people have been craving what PKJ is serving, but Taylor? Not even his fan-favorite status will help him. He was set up for failure and by god is he going to deliver failure and we're gonna make sure it arrives on time.

Spectacular Member

So do you think if Son of Kal-El fails then Jon will be de-aged?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GhostCryptid13 View Post
    depends on whether they think supersons and kid jon is worth keeping around..If yes,he might be stuck in that role as well.whatever happens they need a direction.Personally speaking,i have been enjoying the new run...I want a superman that can i root for.Clark just ain't that.I want someone who's motive is to do the right thing.
    edit-scratch that the new direction in action has me actually excited.I hope Clark kent gets to be superman i can root for...
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    As far as his academic prowress goes... the kid was building advanced Kryptonian robots back in Tomasi's/Gleason's run (that's how his dad and him went to Dinosaur Island), so clearly even as a 10 year old he was beyond what most high school students know of at least physics.
    That's cause it's a silverage superman thing.bendis and tomasi took from the same source.The higher ups just wanted some time leaps.I see jon being the man of tomorrow regardless..I love his new costume(without the cape).I would love it if they give power ranger or cyborg 009 inspired costume for jon later on..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-26-2021 at 10:43 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

I would have written Jon's time away from his parents as both educational and about heroics, nothing a simple line of dialogue couldn’t fix. Jor-El would have ontentionally expanded his scientific mind (less time in the volcano) while learning political and social science with the Legion. He already has a firm grasp of English literature because of his parents. He's basically been homeschooling. So when he returned, have him write whatever tests that will formalise everything he's learnt, so college is next step. Absolutely no to committing fraud to explain why he's fit to go to college now, I don'tcarewhatkindof money or influence Damian's dad has. I'm hoping Taylor fills in the Earth 3 gaps with Jor-El, not Ultraman. There is nothing to learn from Ultraman except he's truly Clark and Lois’s son by not breaking.

That's the hope. But it's just as likely that he just gets pushed to side and stays a supporting character in Clark books. Again, I guess it all depends on what DC's train off thought would be. They already know Super Sons (and by extension Kid Jon) has an audience, otherwise they wouldn't keep bringing it back. But if SOKL falls flat they could just as easily decide Jon's just not a character worth investing in. Kinda risky to hope for this book to not do well but it's a risk I'm willing to take at this point. :/

Petty as hell, yeah. But it wouldn't be the first time I've wished for a new status quo not to work so that I could get something that I loved back (It took a while but Spidey and MJ are back together....not remarried but....back together is a start. There was also the big Inhumans push a few years back. Glad that went up in flames.)
    Last edited by Blue22; 05-26-2021 at 09:27 PM.

Spectacular Member

I’m kinda in a weird position with SOKL. Part of me wants it to fail because it could bring kid Jon back. On the other hand, the idea that DC would shove him to the side if it fails scares me...and if it’s good then I might want to read it anyway

tbh all of this just makes me want to make my own superhero universe even though it would probably be a fruitless endeavor unless I make video games based on them (and even then it’d probably still not work out)

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I would have written Jon's time away from his parents as both educational and about heroics, nothing a simple line of dialogue couldn’t fix. Jor-El would have ontentionally expanded his scientific mind (less time in the volcano) while learning political and social science with the Legion. He already has a firm grasp of English literature because of his parents. He's basically been homeschooling. So when he returned, have him write whatever tests that will formalise everything he's learnt, so college is next step. Absolutely no to committing fraud to explain why he's fit to go to college now, I don'tcarewhatkindof money or influence Damian's dad has. I'm hoping Taylor fills in the Earth 3 gaps with Jor-El, not Ultraman. There is nothing to learn from Ultraman except he's truly Clark and Lois’s son by not breaking.
    They should have expanded on jon's time away.period.Hopefully,ultraman is back for that tale...
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    They should have expanded on jon's time away.period.Hopefully,ultraman is back for that tale...
    I have been singing this song pretty much since day one. I have never been overtly against the ageing. There's pros and cons for it but I really WANTED to see more of his time being aged up, a few handful of flashback panels in one issue is not enough!

I’m kinda in a weird position with SOKL. Part of me wants it to fail because it could bring kid Jon back. On the other hand, the idea that DC would shove him to the side if it fails scares me...and if it’s good then I might want to read it anyway

tbh all of this just makes me want to make my own superhero universe even though it would probably be a fruitless endeavor unless I make video games based on them (and even then it’d probably still not work out)
    There's always fanfiction or indie comics. Most the early image/wildstorm characters were just spins on DC and Marvel before they found their way.

Jon in College felt weird but I'll give Taylor the benefit of the doubt. Superlad compared Jon's time in the Legion as High School but I saw it more as a summer camp or after-school club.

I'm with the "Jon's time in Space should be expanded on" camp. His scenes with Ultraman should be the tip of the iceberg.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    There's always fanfiction or indie comics. Most the early image/wildstorm characters were just spins on DC and Marvel before they found their way.

Jon in College felt weird but I'll give Taylor the benefit of the doubt. Superlad compared Jon's time in the Legion as High School but I saw it more as a summer camp or after-school club.

I'm with the "Jon's time in Space should be expanded on" camp. His scenes with Ultraman should be the tip of the iceberg.
    Basically, since they weren't actually using his time in the future for formal education.

Basically, since they weren't actually using his time in the future for formal education.
    LOSH took six issues to get Jon to watch a video and he didn't even finish it. DC needs to stop giving more credit to that book that it deserves or seeing it as an opportunity for a potential retcon to justify a what is universally regarded as a mistake. So far in his run, PKJ has been pretty hellbent on establishing Jon's "time" with the Legion as being more important and informative than being the son of Lois and Clark or the Super Sons.

Ironically Titans Academy would've served that purpose better. Because it's closer to an actual school and could've served as a cool hub for Jon's off screen adventures.

I liked Bendis's LOSH but Jon was the weak link. Granted he's a victim of Bendis's tendency to meander. There was setup for something interesting but it took to long together.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-27-2021 at 08:03 AM.