Page 27 of 91 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I love the idea going so wild and crazy with Jon's upbringing, and then ironically grounding more when he's finally nearing full manhood. It's like going from Silver Age Superboy to college years Spider-Man.

There's something really, really charming and alien about Jon's "final frontier" being normal stuff like navigating a college party, or settling on a major. And all the while he's got more power and agency than anyone else in his family have ever had.

So conceptually it ties all the weirdness together in service of a greater idea. And in that spirit I no longer *really* need to see his years on Earth-3 or with Jor-El, but if it somehow played into a present day story I'd be down.

The Legion stuff and how impactful it was on him is something I'm more interested in because now we'd get more of his singular POV on it, so I'm glad Taylor will be exploring some of that in the book via his relationship with Saturn Girl.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Mighty Member

As a person who despised Bendis's run and despised his Legion of Super-Heroes run even more, I'm hoping Taylor fixes this mess. Until someone writes Jon well again, I'm content with calling this one the Usurper.

HA! I love how he's still holding it! XD

https://otter-the-author.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    As a person who despised Bendis's run and despised his Legion of Super-Heroes run even more, I'm hoping Taylor fixes this mess. Until someone writes Jon well again, I'm content with calling this one the Usurper.
    He's not. There's no indication he plans to de-age jon at this time. So we're going to have to wait and hope this fails and they decide to de-age him. Sound like overall DC has things planned out through 2022, so we have to endure this another year or so at least. Maybe if this fails Jon can be de-aged as part of next years "crisis level" event.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Wait...Jon's going to college at age 17? Also I don't think he has much of a secret identity if his Dad outed himself? At least his own personal fortress of solitude sounds cool.

Superman: Son of Kal-El #2

story by TOM TAYLOR
    pencils by JOHN TIMMS
    cover by JOHN TIMMS
    ON SALE 8/10/21
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES | FC | DC
    card stock variant by INHYUK LEE
    US $4.99
    Suicide Squad Movie card stock variant by SAMI BASRI $4.99
    Jonathan Kent now dons his father’s cape, but can he be Superman and still have a normal life? It’s tough in this modern world. Danger is everywhere. The new Superman learns this the hard way on his first day of college, and a deadly attack forces Jon to step from the shadows and into the spotlight—where his identity is exposed to the Truth, an activist news machine ready to upset everything.
    But first, the son still has some things to learn from his father—and a few cool toys to inherit. Ask yourself, what would you do with your very own Fortress of Solitude? This all-new chapter in the legacy of Man of Steel has only just begun to reveal its surprises!
    No one can understand the way I pray for this comic to fail miserably.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post

HA! I love how he's still holding it! XD

https://otter-the-author.tumblr.com/
    Shouldn't that be clark?It's an invincible meme....
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    So conceptually it ties all the weirdness together in service of a greater idea. And in that spirit I no longer *really* need to see his years on Earth-3 or with Jor-El, but if it somehow played into a present day story I'd be down.
    I am not saying legion stuff should be expanded on.but,it is of less priority.It isn't a big enough hole to be filled.
    Here Jon is in the shadow world..Things jon need to get over and fight.He's literally in a world where the superhero value system is in the antagonistic position..Supervillains loose..but they would be the "good" guys from a superhero persepective... He gets to feel what abuse is like...from his father.There is actual meat.Beside,there is too much holes...they need to prioritise what holes to fill..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-27-2021 at 09:26 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Shouldn't that be clark?It's an invincible meme....
    Probably. But drawing Super Sons stuff is kinda this artist's thing. Plus...let's be real. Clark wouldn't be the one yelling at Jon like that for doing something stupid. This needed to be Damian XD

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Probably. But drawing Super Sons stuff is kinda this artist's thing. Plus...let's be real. Clark wouldn't be the one yelling at Jon like that for doing something stupid. This needed to be Damian XD
    why do people think clark kent is some puppy dog is beyond me.You do realise clark gets pissed more easily than bruce does?Especially, if it's regarding others.Righteous anger and altruism is what made him put on the costume...There isn't a version of superman who wouldn't yell at Jon for doing stupid things.Remember how he reacted to jon getting hurt falling from a tree towards kathy's dad?remember how he reacted to damian kidnapping jon?Also,the modern heavenly "father" nonesense makes sure that clark is paternal in nature..Invincible is a dark twist of that characterisation.He is still acting like your dad.But,he just not loving anymore...He is way more tangled up and human..It's like when a teenager grows up and realising their parent are just flawed individuals
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-27-2021 at 10:53 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    why do people think clark kent is some puppy dog is beyond me.You do realise clark gets pissed more easily than bruce does?Especially, if it's regarding others.Righteous anger and altruism is what made him put on the costume...There isn't a version of superman who wouldn't yell at Jon for doing stupid things.Remember how he reacted to jon getting hurt falling from a tree towards kathy's dad?remember how he reacted to damian kidnapping jon?Also,the modern heavenly "father" nonesense makes sure that clark is paternal in nature..Invincible is a dark twist of that characterisation.He is still acting like your dad.But,he just not loving anymore...He is way more tangled up and human..It's like when a teenager grows up and realising their parent are just flawed individuals
    You...uh....went a tad deep there for something that was just said in jest XD

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    He's not. There's no indication he plans to de-age jon at this time. So we're going to have to wait and hope this fails and they decide to de-age him. Sound like overall DC has things planned out through 2022, so we have to endure this another year or so at least. Maybe if this fails Jon can be de-aged as part of next years "crisis level" event.
    Do you honestly think Jon will be de-aged if he fails at the only reason for his existence(being a younger and more hip Superman)

What will almost certainly happen is that he is either killed off or erased.

Hopefully Superman & Lois keeps that from happening...

But a better alternative is to hope that this comic doesn’t fail, because it’s quite literally the only reason Jon is being kept alive
    Last edited by kryptonian; 05-28-2021 at 05:47 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Do you honestly think Jon will be de-aged if he fails at the only reason for his existence(being a younger and more hip Superman)

What will almost certainly happen is that he is either killed off or erased.

Hopefully Superman & Lois keeps that from happening...

But a better alternative is to hope that this comic doesn’t fail, because it’s quite literally the only reason Jon is being kept alive
    I think it's possible for him to be de-aged. They have to understand this move has been highly unpopular and there's a demand for Jon to be de-aged. Of course DC could choose to be stubborn and kick against the goads so to speak. But I'm not backing down. I want Jon de-aged. If they kill him off or erase him from existence I'll just demand he be brought back to life as a kid or be reintroduced as a kid. And if this fails, I can only imagine killing off Jon to have even worse effects on the sales of the books, so it will lead to another failure. Attempting a reboot to erase him from continuity is likewise a move I can see as similarly disastrous. In any case, I'm not compromising or settling for something I don't want because of fears things could be worse. That's an awful reason for accepting and supporting something that you're unhappy with. So yes, I will hope this fails and that DC will get the message to undo the age up.
    Last edited by Artemisfanboy; 05-28-2021 at 07:01 AM.

BANNED

All dc needs to do to erase Jon and not suffer the consequences is to get mark waid, reset everything back to issue 1, and promote the shit out of that book

An A list Superman writer can almost certainly preserve the jonless status quo for years

Again...is that really a risk Jon fans should be taking if the book fails, because DC is known for being pricks
    Last edited by kryptonian; 05-28-2021 at 07:43 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    All dc needs to do to erase Jon and not suffer the consequences is to get mark waid, reset everything back to issue 1, and promote the shit out of that book

An A list Superman writer can almost certainly preserve the jonless status quo for years

Again...is that really a risk that should be taken if the book fails, because DC is known for being pricks
    I can't see them rebooting Superman from scratch right now since that would also likely entail doing the same to the rest of the DC universe (which is pretty well off), especially after Death Metal made a point of breaking the cycles of reboots. So I don't see them trashing everything in the universe for a hail mary pass just for Superman's sales. Seems like a recipe for disaster. I also heavily question scenario you've proposed on multiple levels. Whether they could get Mark Waid, or whether he or any other A-List writer could sell a rebooted status quo. You can look at the New 52 for similar parallels as things might play out, but potentially with worse reception. They had Grant Morrison on Action, but you had plenty of people displeased with the dissolution of the Clark-Lois marriage, and the Kents being dead right out of the gate. And things just got worse as things went on which is what lead to them bringing back pre-flashpoint Clark, Lois, and introducing Jon. I question whether they could get away with not suffering the consequences so easily. So I don't find a New 52 styled reboot likely, and if they did, it would be a colossally bad move that would surely backfire and make things worse universe line wide.

The threat of death is possibly more likely, but I only see that pissing us off more. I don't see Mark Waid or anybody else being able to make Superman with a dead child work as a direction. It would likewise be a bad move. And we'll just demand he be brought back life as a kid.

So, yeah, I'm sticking with hoping this book fails, and it leads to Jon being de-aged. I'm not going to be scared into complacency by threats that things could be worse. DC could choose to be stupid and blow everything up, but then they'd be slicing their own throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    So, yeah, I'm sticking with hoping this book fails, and it leads to Jon being de-aged. I'm not going to be scared into complacency by threats that things could be worse. DC could choose to be stupid and blow everything up, but then they'd be slicing their own throats.
    Agreed. Out of all the conflicts between fans and DC, this is one of the few times that fans are 100% in the right and DC is the one entirely in the wrong. If DC wants to cut its nose to spite its face, that's their problem, not mine. If you don't want to reverse a decision that is so unpopular it literally lead to a boycott, fine by me, have fun making less money than you would if you actually respected your reading and paying audience, I'll take my money elsewhere.

BANNED

They don’t need to reboot the universe, just soft reboot Superman, and a bunch of A-list writers who are truly hackish can write a Superman story where Superman overcomes his grief and moves on quickly before getting into their new jonless status quo

Hell...one can write a truly great story out of Superman’s grief and boom...no would would dare try to undo that story because of how iconic it is(killing joke) and it will be decades before Jon is even entertained to come back

Wishing for son of Kal-el to fail is too risky, because Jon is literally being kept alive by that book
    Last edited by kryptonian; 05-28-2021 at 09:30 AM.