Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Why ? He isn't Kryptonian, he's an Earthling, and a US citizen to be more precise. His ties to Krypton's culture are even weaker than his father's. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for him to have one. He is the Son of Superman and Lois Lane but the only world he knows as a child his Earth, and its cultures.

I know that some peoples want their children to have names from other cultures than the main one in the country they live in, but usually, it's because they have a deep-rooted attachment to their place of birth (or for religious reasons, obviously). But in Clark's case, krypton always felt so remote that it'd be strange that he want to name his only child with a Kryptonian name. Plus, it would have been a secret name since until he revealed his identity, Jon couldn't have been using it anyway.

That's why (Hyppo)Lyta makes sense for the name of a Wonder Woman's daughter - she loves Themyscira and she has deep rooted cultural and familial ties to it. Naming a children after her mother makes sense in that regard.

With Jon, it'd feel cheap, I think.
    Just because Krypton is far removed from Clark, I don't think it should just die away because he made earth his real home and so on and so on. I do see value in keeping someone's culture alive, even in something as insignificant (to others) as a name. I'm not advocating that they do away with Jonathan Samuel Kent and changing it to whatever's Kryptonain, just give him a name to go with his El roots. There's nothing wrong in honouring both cultures imo. I want him to have that name even if he never gets to use considering how sporadically they use Kal as it is.

Why ? He isn't Kryptonian, he's an Earthling, and a US citizen to be more precise. His ties to Krypton's culture are even weaker than his father's. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for him to have one. He is the Son of Superman and Lois Lane but the only world he knows as a child his Earth, and its cultures.

I know that some peoples want their children to have names from other cultures than the main one in the country they live in, but usually, it's because they have a deep-rooted attachment to their place of birth (or for religious reasons, obviously). But in Clark's case, krypton always felt so remote that it'd be strange that he want to name his only child with a Kryptonian name. Plus, it would have been a secret name since until he revealed his identity, Jon couldn't have been using it anyway.

That's why (Hyppo)Lyta makes sense for the name of a Wonder Woman's daughter - she loves Themyscira and she has deep rooted cultural and familial ties to it. Naming a children after her mother makes sense in that regard.

Kon-El is not a Kryptonian either, but have the name.

I agree with pretty much all of this. It's a cute sentiment, I guess but I never felt like a Kryptonian name was something he really...needs. I don't wanna say it'd be pointless but....It kinda feels that way.

Honestly it felt unnecessary with Conner too.

I mean, if Clark still acknowledges himself as Kal-El and wants to keep his culture alive, I think it makes sense for his son to have both an Earth name and a Kryptonian name.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Kon-El is not a Kryptonian either, but have the name.
    Fair point. I keep forgetting it, because I know him moe from the YJ cartoon.

Did Jon ever got a Kryptonian name?
    I thought Jon was the Kryptonian name? Like it could be short for Jonathan but it could also mean in this case Jon-el.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I thought Jon was the Kryptonian name? Like it could be short for Jonathan but it could also mean in this case Jon-el.
    It actually works, never thought this.
    But i don't think it's his Kryptonian name.

Fair point. I keep forgetting it, because I know him moe from the YJ cartoon.
    He's actually got the name there too. But I think its only been mentioned like once or twice.

Mighty Member

Did Jon ever got a Kryptonian name?
    I still say it should be Van-El.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

I think giving Jon a separate Kryptonian name is unnecessary and clunky. Jon-El works fine. Maybe Jon was a Kryptonian name anyways, it fits with the three letter male names we've seen.

Hey you know what I just noticed, if you look at the party page of Death Metal #7 you can see Jon dancing with Cassandra Cain. Not trying make anything out of that, I just did not notice him until just now.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Hey you know what I just noticed, if you look at the party page of Death Metal #7 you can see Jon dancing with Cassandra Cain. Not trying make anything out of that, I just did not notice him until just now.
    That would be a cool ship.You are right.it's in the corner.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-08-2021 at 06:38 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

It'd be a hell of a lot more interesting than Saturn Girl...Actually it'd be a hell of a lot more interesting than anything teen Jon's been up to.

Jon: Psssst. Damian. That new Batgirl. What's her name?

Damian: You mean my sister?

Jon: .....
    Last edited by Blue22; 01-08-2021 at 08:58 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The problem is that character is part of bat-franchise.Batman has systematically taken apart superman since darkknight returns.And for good reasons,they are phylosophically at odds.One is "jesus" and the other is "god is dead".I believe,They should put a safe distance between superman and batman for the time being.But then again, super-sons was good.A super-character actually not turning into goo or gods or stooges or whatever when bat-character comes in contact with them.Not only that,actually giving it back to the bully.It was a first in a very long time.Who knows how long that's gonna last.But,then again damian has given his due.So,jon should be the one to let him step over now.Usually,when the rich ubermensch bruce wayne arrives all the fight in clark just leaves his body.It's like kryptonite ain't his weakness.Batman is and ofcourse people not buying what he is selling anymore.

granted,This kinda nonesense wouldn't be much problem Had clark kent been an act.But,this feels like batman treating superman like a chump.Superman taking it.I believe,jon is better off with dating mary marvel.Jon x mary all the way for me.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"