Page 39 of 91 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Teen Jon sadly isn’t as unpopular as I want him to be...given that his failed legion comic still sold more than PK Johnson’s action comics

30,000 units(legion) vs 24,000 units(action)
    Bendis has name-cache and a built-in audience. PKJ doesn't. On the bright side, one of those books is cancelled in all but name and the other is still on-going.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I feel Legion only sold well cause the art was beautiful & they have a kind of cult following who are gonna buy, I severely doubt people were purchasing it for Jon.

Still sold more

It doesn’t matter the motives why costumers bought it

And the same thing is going to happen to Taylor with the main difference being that it will actually have good reviews

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    Bendis has name-cache and a built-in audience. PKJ doesn't. On the bright side, one of those books is cancelled in all but name and the other is still on-going.
    It doesn’t really matter

Teen Jon is still going to be the luckiest reviled character in DC

Always starring in titles that just happen to be either uncancellable(action/Superman) or having a writer protect him(bendis/Taylor) with the sheer strength of his brand

Incredible Member

Always starring in titles that just happen to be either uncancellable(action/Superman) or having a writer protect him(bendis/Taylor) with the sheer strength of his brand
    I'm certain that's by design, not luck. DC's probably not taking any chances after Superman of Metropolis was the only Future State comic of the first weeks to not go to second printings (even that God-awful Flash comic managed it for some reason).

Anyway, Jon Kent saving Billy, calling him kid and emphasizing he's grown up while Billy hasn't has to be the biggest possible disrespect to Billy. I love it. It makes sense for Billy's story where he needs to be at a low point in his life.

It doesn’t really matter

Teen Jon is still going to be the luckiest reviled character in DC

Tell me about it. DC knows Teen Jon is a bad idea so they have good artists draw him in an attempt to try and hide his toxic traits under a false veneer. Ivan Reis, David Lafuente, Ryan Sook, Scott Godlewski, Phil Hester, Daniel Sampiere, Inhyuk Lee. All of their talent, wasted, on a failed concept.

In other news, Bleeding Cool apparently has information about Jon and Damian in 5G that they'll release the same way they did the timeline: https://twitter.com/richjohnston/sta...71681798791169
    Last edited by garazza; 07-20-2021 at 09:15 AM.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

“Relax, kid.” “‘Kid’?! You’re younger than me!” “Not anymore.”

Lol this sounds exactly like something Jon would say since Damian was the one who gave him an age complex in Super Sons in the first place. I like that Jon has that little Damian-influenced streak of immaturity in him, and I want to see a funny take on the Super Sons with the reversed dynamic. Jon would totally gloat.

The fact that this is the first interaction between Jon and Billy frustrates me to no end. Back before Bendis was announced for Superman, I had a ton of ideas for stories involving kid Jon and Billy Batson/Shazam. Both are young, boisterous and dynamic characters that could have resulted in some fun and engaging stories where Jon could meet another kid superhero. Now we're stuck with unfaithful representations of both Jon and Billy which is a real shame.

Mighty Member

In other news, Bleeding Cool apparently has information about Jon and Damian in 5G that they'll release the same way they did the timeline: https://twitter.com/richjohnston/sta...71681798791169
    Bleeding Cool just released the article.

Damian Wayne Would Have Been the Big Bad of the 5G DC Universe

It's not surprising, frankly. Both Teen Titans and Bendis's work with Damian hinted at a darker path for the character.

However, what really bothers me is the revelation that Death Metal was just going to end with Jon and Damian their new ages with zero explanation once the universe rebooted. That means Bendis's age-up of the character was completely unnecessary, since Jon (and the rest of the Universe) was just going to age-up with no explanation anyway. That means there's no real story reason we couldn't have gotten two more years of kid Jon and in-continuity Super Sons comics. The original run never needed to be cancelled. That frustrates me to no end.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

I actually forgot about Billy. I'll just had that potentially fun dynamic to the list of things we lost.

On the bright side, there's finally some good news regarding current Jon. After reading the 5G plans, I can safely say that this is direction is already WAY better than what Didio wanted....Still sucks. But better.

BANNED

I actually think that making Damian and Jon enemies for a while before rebuilding their relationship sounds more interesting than the limbo we are in right now.

But then again...if it were up to me...the age up would happen after death metal along with Damian after two years of kid Jon slowly realizing his sexuality along with Damian.

And the rebuilding of Damian and Jon’s relationship would have also entailed a later romance, spiritually becoming the new Apollo and Midnighter

It can still happen...but Damian has to be aged up first

I actually think that making Damian and Jon enemies for a while before rebuilding their relationship sounds more interesting than the limbo we are in right now.
    Eh. Only Jon sucks right now. Damian had a bad couple of years but he's currently doing great. Williamson has really saved this kid.

But then again...if it were up to me...the age up would happen after death metal along with Damian after two years of kid Jon slowly realizing his sexuality along with Damian.

And the rebuilding of Damian and Jon’s relationship would have also entailed a later romance, spiritually becoming the new Apollo and Midnighter

It can still happen...but Damian has to be aged up first
    I'd have to do a hard pass on that. Like...it's bad enough I have no interest in Jon anymore but that's a surefire way to make me not care for Super Sons too. I like the brotherly relationship they had before. Never was too big on shipping those two together. It'd feel too much like shipping Dick and Wally or Cap and Bucky....Or Tim and Kon. Actually that's a way better example than the other two. If either (or both) of them are gay/bi/anything, that's fine. But...not with each other.
    Last edited by Blue22; 07-20-2021 at 02:06 PM.

I keep saying we can just make Damian 15 now that he's 14 and draw him a tad taller then nothing will be really weird if Damian and Jon hang out now. Nothing all that weird if a 15 and 17 year old are hanging out together.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

That'd fix one problem with Jon's age up (though it was honestly one of the smaller problems) but not the ones I've been the most annoyed with. Like...things always go back to Super Sons (even Bendis seems to think that was the only reason people want kid Jon back) but for me that only scratches the surface. I'm not a fan of any of the directions Jon's been taken in for reasons that have almost nothing to do with his friendship with Damian.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

*sigh*

No one's gonna believe me. No one's gonna believe me, but I genuinely never intent to be That Guy, but I actually kind of...really like this idea?

*doges tossed fruit*

The Pro X and Magneto of the DCU really got me. That means Damian wouldn't really be a "bad guy" in the hand rubbing cackling sort of way, but rather in the "oh wow, he kind of has a point, but is going about it in a pretty messed up way" way. And Jon forever holding out a candle of hope for his friend, but knowing he's got to stop him at every turn is cool as hell to me. Not just that, but also the idea that the new Batman wouldn't trust Jon because of his past friendship with Damian.

And if it's anything like X and Magneto then you know it's only a matter of time till they see eye to eye, and that'll be its own event.

Ever since Bendis ramped up Jon's impact on the DCU I kept saying that the actual sons of Batman and Superman should have much more impact on the DCU than what they've been relegated to. And the idea that they were going to be the center of it is just so much validation.

________

Like I wonder if the Pro X comparison went deeper? Maybe Jon's whole thing was preaching equality and integration with the United Planets, but Earth kept getting more and more xenophobic? There's honestly a lot to chew on here.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    *sigh*

No one's gonna believe me. No one's gonna believe me, but I genuinely never intent to be That Guy, but I actually kind of...really like this idea?

*doges tossed fruit*

The Pro X and Magneto of the DCU really got me. That means Damian wouldn't really be a "bad guy" in the hand rubbing cackling sort of way, but rather in the "oh wow, he kind of has a point, but is going about it in a pretty messed up way" way. And Jon forever holding out a candle of hope for his friend, but knowing he's got to stop him at every turn is cool as hell to me. Not just that, but also the idea that the new Batman wouldn't trust Jon because of his past friendship with Damian.

And if it's anything like X and Magneto then you know it's only a matter of time till they see eye to eye, and that'll be its own event.

Ever since Bendis ramped up Jon's impact on the DCU I kept saying that the actual sons of Batman and Superman should have much more impact on the DCU than what they've been relegated to. And the idea that they were going to be the center of it is just so much validation.

________

Like I wonder if the Pro X comparison went deeper? Maybe Jon's whole thing was preaching equality and integration with the United Planets, but Earth kept getting more and more xenophobic? There's honestly a lot to chew on here.
    Not anymore, big guy.