Page 57 of 91 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Ships and superhero action/drama are very clearly not mutually exclusive, and in fact enhance each other.

There's a reason people respond to who a person dates. It's because it speaks on their character in the same way what they stand for as a hero and person does. You get yet another avenue to explore the inner workings of a character and the themes that make them up. That even extends to when ships are primarily frivolous in nature. That absence of deeper connection is in itself an chance to say something about the character (s).

This is more or less fiction 101, in my opinion.
    I am not saying they are.I am saying there is a limit to flexibility and layers have a core.If batman sucks at detective stories and crime drama/thriller stories.Then people won't care who he has a relationship with..The superhero genre is flexible.but,it does break.I mean,thats why we don't have basketball superhero sports book.Where a caped crusaders leaps and throws balls into hoops.(i wonder if they could do that.i mean that would be fun..now that i said it out loud)

you don't need a ship to get inner workings of a character as well.There are platonic relationships,you know.I mean,brother,friends,comrades,father -son,rivals,mother-daughter, team-mates...etc.All sort of dynamics can do that.while romance can be a great Avenue.Certain stories need that crux.For example:-maybe a fantastic four because of the family theme.berserk needs it even though it's a dark medival fantasy story.Because that story requires the love triangle leading to a tragedy.For superman and zorro the love triangle with secret id is more intrinsic.but,these guys don't need it and can without it perfectly fine.batman?even less so..batman doesn't need it.Spiderman might because of the teen drama asoect

But,yeah!I don't think it's a requirement to have a ship for superhero story to be successful.That's all i am saying.Let alone focus on it much.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-12-2021 at 08:08 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Hey guys, remind me. Am I wrong in that Jon introduced Damian to manga or was Damian reading it before SuperSons. Because I swear he got Damian into it and not the reverse. Or am I not recalling right.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Hey guys, remind me. Am I wrong in that Jon introduced Damian to manga or was Damian reading it before SuperSons. Because I swear he got Damian into it and not the reverse. Or am I not recalling right.
    That is pure fanon. The most any anime, or manga, has been referenced before now was a poster in Jon's room in Hamilton that vaguely resembled Naruto. People saw that little easter egg and fucking ran with it, much to my personal annoyance, but that's just me. Damian reading manga is a brand new thing and quite out of the blue if you've only been reading comics and haven't been paying attention to the fandom.
    Last edited by garazza; 08-14-2021 at 03:34 PM.

Yeah. There is literally nothing to suggest that manga/anime is a concept that was introduced to Damian by Jon. Even before Jon was in the picture, Damian was already shown to have some degree of interest in normal things for kids his age like video games and movies. They didn't have to be things that Jon showed him.

There has never been a moment where the two have even talked about manga when they're together. The closest you get is Jon name-dropping Power Rangers and Star Wars.
    Last edited by Blue22; 08-14-2021 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    That is pure fanon. The most any anime, or manga, has been referenced before now was a poster in Jon's room in Hamilton that vaguely resembled Naruto. People saw that little easter egg and fucking ran with it, much to my personal annoyance, but that's just me. Damian reading manga is a brand new thing and quite out of the blue if you've only been reading comics and haven't been paying attention to the fandom.
    Not saying Jon introduced manga to Damian (knowing Damian, he would stumble across it eventually). As for Jon's room;

Also note the very distinct hairstyle over Alfred's shoulder. Even among anime protagonists, it stands out in being Goku's hair.

But, all of those are, are Easter eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Not saying Jon introduced manga to Damian (knowing Damian, he would stumble across it eventually). As for Jon's room;

Also note the very distinct hairstyle over Alfred's shoulder. Even among anime protagonists, it stands out in being Goku's hair.

I was remembering the poster closer to Lois. I would recognize Naruto's jacket anywhere.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Interesting because I thought SuperSons had something with a nod to him talking to Damian about it. And I thought it was weird that Damian was reading it too. Because, yes he draws, but the only person other than Jon knowing about some Anime is Bruce knowing who Rei Hino is from Sailor Moon (she's Sailor Mars for the fact). Yea it threw me for a loop given only a few years ago he didn't know about jokes in taffy wrappers (Thanks Bryan Q Miller Batgirl).

Goku and Naruto, probably has other posters there too given he reads comics. So it would at least make some sense that the two would have some discussion about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Yeah. There is literally nothing to suggest that manga/anime is a concept that was introduced to Damian by Jon. Even before Jon was in the picture, Damian was already shown to have some degree of interest in normal things for kids his age like video games and movies. They didn't have to be things that Jon showed him.

There has never been a moment where the two have even talked about manga when they're together. The closest you get is Jon name-dropping Power Rangers and Star Wars.
    The only reason I asked was that until the recent Robin run, I had not seen him be interested in that. He's drawn and I know he's played games and movies, but never been interested in manga (certainly not Shojo). I guess it makes sense that he might like it for the art?

I was remembering the poster closer to Lois. I would recognize Naruto's jacket anywhere.
    Yeah that's him alright.

Love the new look Jon
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Love the new look Jon
    I wouldn't even call it a new look. Belt aside, it's just still way too similar to Clark (I feel like I'll be saying that for a long time, in relation to things involving Jon). It wasn't that special in Future State and the added cape makes it even less special. I think what really sucks is that fake Jon actually DOES have a really good costume that they even reference in this issue....but then they go with that.

Oh wow. I noticed the Naruto poster right away when I first read this issue but how the hell did I miss Goku behind Alfred? I need more of this. Just make Jon a full on weeb XD

Gimme like one panel of him watching Berserk or Devilman on mute so Clark doesn't hear lol
    Last edited by Blue22; 08-24-2021 at 10:38 AM.

I wouldn't even call it a new look. Belt aside, it's just still way too similar to Clark (I feel like I'll be saying that for a long time, in relation to things involving Jon). It wasn't that special in Future State and the added cape makes it even less special. I think what really sucks is that fake Jon actually DOES have a really good costume that they even reference in this issue....but then they go with that.
    I just like it more then the one he’s been wearing. A lot less lines, I like that it’s very simple.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I just like it more then the one he’s been wearing. A lot less lines, I like that it’s very simple.
    I like the simpler design, too. I really liked the armored suit when first appeared post-age up, it was just the right amount of over-designed. But they threw that one away in favor of the more boring and less interesting and somehow more complicated Legion costume that they don't bother explaining how he got. This is a great Superman costume for Jon. It has all the elements of a Superman costume, but it's distinct from the original.

Just waiting for fake Jon to have his nickname become "Clark", have a girlfriend named "Louise" (goes by Lois), and end up just full on phasing out Clark to be Clark.

Yes. I have become incredibly pessimistic towards about everything Super in the mainline. Elseworlds and stuff on television, yeah. I'll check it out. But mainline is dead to me.

Just waiting for fake Jon to have his nickname become "Clark", have a girlfriend named "Louise" (goes by Lois), and end up just full on phasing out Clark to be Clark.

Yes. I have become incredibly pessimistic towards about everything Super in the mainline. Elseworlds and stuff on television, yeah. I'll check it out. But mainline is dead to me.
    I'mma give Taylor about one or two more goes before Jon is officially a lost cause for me. But I feel the sentiment. That said, given the rumors that people talk about more than they actually talk about the book, it might be more accurate to say he'll have his own "Lewis" lol

I don't really care either way. But I kinda hope that if they plan on pulling this plug, they wait until they know for sure if this book is a sure-fire success so that it feels less like a contrived attempt at forcing relevancy...you know...like it did for Tim. Who had no relevance before he came out and now comics twitter thinks he's the best thing ever. Because I guess a character's sexuality solves all their problems now XD

I'mma give Taylor about one or two more goes before Jon is officially a lost cause for me. But I feel the sentiment. That said, given the rumors that people talk about more than they actually talk about the book, it might be more accurate to say he'll have his own "Lewis" lol

I don't really care either way. But I kinda hope that if they plan on pulling this plug, they wait until they know for sure if this book is a sure-fire success so that it feels less like a contrived attempt at forcing relevancy...you know...like it did for Tim. Who had no relevance before he came out and now comics twitter thinks he's the best thing ever. Because I guess a character's sexuality solves all their problems now XD
    Well, it certainly pleased a certain fandom that's been writing fanfics of him being gay for years.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

From Jorge Jimenez’s Twitter!

I mean.. one day, maybe, I would have to draw him as an adult, right? superbo... SUPERMAN! #superman #jonathankent #wip ⁦@TomTaylorMade and ⁦@johntimmsart thanks for your amazing run

https://twitter.com/JorgeJimenezArt/...832787973?s=20