Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 273
  1. #241
    Astonishing Member Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,142

    Default

    Ok for that...what exactly were Maxima's powers again? She was Jean Grey with Superman stranger and invulnerable right?

  2. #242
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Ok for that...what exactly were Maxima's powers again? She was Jean Grey with Superman stranger and invulnerable right?
    Basically yeah. She's used a ton of random one-off mental powers but is basically just a high-level psychokinetic who occasionally finds real creative ways to use her telepathy/telekinesis (but seems to often prefer the direct and simple "brain blast" approach).

    Physically her strength and durability seem to be high-end (below Clark but above most others) but I'm not sure if that's raw physicality or if she uses her mental powers to boost her stats the way Conner Kent did with his tactile telekinesis.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  3. #243
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,070

    Default

    Her powers can be classified as "kitchen sink." She was able to manipulate matter with her mind, which was ridiculous (someone mentioned her costume was inappropriate so she turned it into a 90s women's power suit).

    Basically semi-Superman raw stats and then anything you need her to be able to do. She's very silver age if you get right down to it, from motive to abilities.

  4. #244
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    5,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Her powers can be classified as "kitchen sink." She was able to manipulate matter with her mind, which was ridiculous (someone mentioned her costume was inappropriate so she turned it into a 90s women's power suit).
    Is it weird that that scene in Justice League America #71 is one of my favorites?? Not in a creepy way, but in a "damn I wish I could just get dressed/change clothes every day with a wave of my hands" kind of way...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  5. #245
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Is it weird that that scene in Justice League America #71 is one of my favorites?? Not in a creepy way, but in a "damn I wish I could just get dressed/change clothes every day with a wave of my hands" kind of way...
    Hey man, her ridiculous qualities are what made me love her.

  6. #246
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,464

    Default

    I think that's just high-end, very precise telekinesis. Just grabbing threads and re-weaving them into something different, maybe on the molecular level, but still just, at its core, mentally pulling something from "here" to "there."

    It's why I list her as a telepath/telekinetic with physical stats, instead of breaking every random power down into its own thing; pretty much everything Max has done (that I've seen anyway) can be categorized as creative application of Omega level telekinesis or telepathy.

    Maybe I'm forgetting or unaware of particular examples that don't fit within that framework though.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

    ~ Black Panther.

  7. #247
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think that's just high-end, very precise telekinesis. Just grabbing threads and re-weaving them into something different, maybe on the molecular level, but still just, at its core, mentally pulling something from "here" to "there."

    It's why I list her as a telepath/telekinetic with physical stats, instead of breaking every random power down into its own thing; pretty much everything Max has done (that I've seen anyway) can be categorized as creative application of Omega level telekinesis or telepathy.

    Maybe I'm forgetting or unaware of particular examples that don't fit within that framework though.
    I'd argue it's more that they had no real idea what to do with her powers and made it up as they went. Normally it wouldn't work but it is perfect given her narrative insofar as being the engineered product of many years of selective breeding.

  8. #248

  9. #249
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,784

    Default



    Maxima commission
    by
    phil-cho

  10. #250
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,691

    Default

    I’ve wondered if a good “origin story” for Almerac might be to make it a “gateway” planet against Apokilips, Mongul, The Reach, etc., with the idea being that’s why they’re a warlike powerhouse but not a conquering empire - as well as perhaps a way to complicate things for Superman and everyone else.

    I mean, imagine if Almerac has treaty with the Green Lanterns that allows them to be a refuge for warlords, despots, and bruisers across the Galaxy so that they can hold off a mutual enemy, and maybe the Guardians even have a tacit approval of the “breeding program” Almerac uses, making things awkward for Superman and the Justice League.
    Franchise Wars Podcast and YouTube Host.
    TITANS pilot Recap, Reaction, and Review video! https://youtu.be/l1tKBTUtiyM
    The Force Awakens vs The Last Jedi https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=408109126
    Teen Titans (03) vs Teen Titans Go! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=400482734

  11. #251
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,070

    Default

    That looks pretty cool. That reminds me I never posted that redesign I talked about doing long ago. Maybe I'll work up the courage to do so one day so you all can have a good laugh.

  12. #252
    Traveler of omniverses Thor-Ul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Halfway between Asgard & Krypton
    Posts
    3,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Hmm i wonder what Maxima would think if she met one of the Kryptonian Phantom Zoners? Seemingly part of her attraction to Superman was that she liked him as a person and not just because he was both powerful and handsome.
    Back in bussiness, this is a good point to cast away the original Maxima motivations towards Superman. It had more sense when Superman was the only one Krypotonian alive. But with that many others kryptonians accessible, that make the motivations weak. Why would not she prefer other options like Zod, for example?
    All the background of Maxima is great and interesting, but her attittude should be something more in the line of characters like Namor, Hulk, Black Adam: characters who you don't know if will be your friend or your enemy this week.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 06-09-2021 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Expand info.
    "But was it worth it to try and appeal to new, younger readers if it meant alienating a large portion of the existing long-term fan base?"
    Arius_de_Galdri (reddit poster)

  13. #253
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Back in bussiness, this is a good point to cast away the original Maxima motivations towards Superman. It had more sense when Superman was the only one Krypotonian alive. But with that many others kryptonians accessible, that make the motivations weak. Why would not she prefer other options like Zod, for example?
    All the background of Maxima is great and interesting, but her attittude should be something more in the line of characters like Namor, Hulk, Black Adam: characters who you don't know if will be your friend or your enemy this week.
    At least in my take, it's equal parts his physiology as well as his exploits-- most recently at that point that he bested Mongul in single combat.

    Say what you will about other Kryptonians and Daxamites, they ain't Superman.

    I wouldn't get away from the classic motivation, but I'd definitely play with it some. It's definitely problematic, but everything about Max is problematic and I'd rather lean into that and create an interesting narrative instead of sanitizing a villain/anti-hero (at best) and making her kind of generic.

  14. #254

    Default

    Technically, Maxima found Superman's refusal to obey Mongul's order to kill Draaga intriguing. Maxima's handmaiden, Sazu, warned that displays of mercy such as these were evidence of a fatal flaw in a warrior. In the end, Maxima rebelled against tradition anyways, and pursued Superman because she also admired his strength and skill during the gladiatorial games on Warworld.

  15. #255
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeswithoutaface View Post
    Technically, Maxima found Superman's refusal to obey Mongul's order to kill Draaga intriguing. Maxima's handmaiden, Sazu, warned that displays of mercy such as these were evidence of a fatal flaw in a warrior. In the end, Maxima rebelled against tradition anyways, and pursued Superman because she also admired his strength and skill during the gladiatorial games on Warworld.
    A lot of Clark goes against the way of Almerac, but Max is into him even after she realizes he's not a warlord. That alone tells me there are some qualities and beliefs that Maxima probably represses that conflict with what Almerac believes. If not, she'd lose interest in Superman pretty quick. Something about him still interests her, but I don't think she'd ever admit it if she ever came to realize it to begin with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •