Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

I feel much the same of Lois. She would keep working, but would definitely slump. Hell, I've written my take on post-DoS for fun and I had her take on puff pieces just to keep working even though it disgusted her to be doing fluff articles-- she just knows working will help her move on. They're adults. They have their own independent motivations and wants in life. If either of them died, they'd still be Clark/Superman or Lois Lane, though perhaps their star would lose some of its glimmer. That's it.
    I love that

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Clark leaving earth after Lois dies isn't a problem.

Clark leaving earth *because* Lois dies is.

It makes perfect sense that, at some point, Clark looks around at all the younger, capable heroes and at all the progress he's helped humanity make, and say "You know what? I've done what I set out to do here and my job is done; earth is pointed in the direction I wanted it pointed in and will reach that bright and shiny future I saw with the Legion" and for him to move on to help other worlds, other peoples, make the same kind of progress. It's a Never Ending Battle but that battle doesn't necessarily take place solely on earth.

It does not make sense that Clark would abandon his life-long mission, which he sees as clearly bigger than any one individual, because his wife died. Clark is not a guy who gives up, regardless of the odds or the pain. He keeps going. That's practically the whole gods damn point of Superman. He loves his wife, but his entire life and sanity and mission as Superman do not hinge on her and any writer who implies otherwise really misunderstands the entire dynamic and both characters.

In that annual Superman didn't leave earth because Lois died.
    Superman left earth because he killed Lois. Or at least that was how he felt. By trying to be human and for having a human life, Lois died. It was not as simple as: "Lois dies, Superman leaves earth". It was "Lois dies for miscarrieage, Superman blames himself, felt alienated from humans and leaves".
    That also explains the outcome of the story, in that context he could have a life with Maxima without fear he could damage her, at least physically.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 02-06-2021 at 02:57 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ah, you misunderstood me; I wasn't talking about that particular story I was talking about the general concept of Clark losing his sh*t when Lois dies.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This is a well thought out post but if I'm being honest, I think associating Maxima so heavily with sex just feels outdated. Firstly, it's odd how often totalitarianism and fascism get lumped in with sex in fiction despite this not always being the case in real life. Secondly, I think Superman's primary female villain should bring something different to the table and too many female villains in comics are infamous for how sexualized they are.
    I think it depends on how you present it.

Look at MCU Thanos and compare him to comic book Thanos. Sure, he had the 'rebalance the universe' thing in the comics but his primary motivation was to bone death. That's the whole reason why he assembled the gauntlet, did the snap in the original Infinity Gauntlet storyline. The movie got rid of his death fetish and focused fully on him being a Malthusian madman.

His motivation went from rebalance the universe, BONE DEATH to REBALANCE THE UNIVERSE.
    Just like that Maxima needs to go from save my species, BONE SUPERMAN to SAVE MY SPEICIES.

Focus on the ethical dilemma. Maxima wants to save her species and carry out her royal duties and she is ruthless about the former. Create a strong conflict for Superman. Say, she kidnaps a group of metas and wants to use them as incubators to restore her species. Naturally, Superman goes out to rescue them but Maxima claims that it's for the good of her species and she forces Clark to consider what he would do if the roles were reversed? Would he sacrifice a 'lesser species' to continue his own? Having grown up on a farm hasn't he already killed other animals or consumed them to feed his own family and others? To advanced species like Almeracs, wouldn't ordinary humans be a little better than farm animals?

Clark leaving earth after Lois dies isn't a problem.

Clark leaving earth *because* Lois dies is.

It makes perfect sense that, at some point, Clark looks around at all the younger, capable heroes and at all the progress he's helped humanity make, and say "You know what? I've done what I set out to do here and my job is done; earth is pointed in the direction I wanted it pointed in and will reach that bright and shiny future I saw with the Legion" and for him to move on to help other worlds, other peoples, make the same kind of progress. It's a Never Ending Battle but that battle doesn't necessarily take place solely on earth.

It does not make sense that Clark would abandon his life-long mission, which he sees as clearly bigger than any one individual, because his wife died. Clark is not a guy who gives up, regardless of the odds or the pain. He keeps going. That's practically the whole gods damn point of Superman. He loves his wife, but his entire life and sanity and mission as Superman do not hinge on her and any writer who implies otherwise really misunderstands the entire dynamic and both characters.
    Why are you so good at everything lol. You express everything i wanna say so clearly haha

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Why are you so good at everything lol.
    Many, many wasted years reading and thinking about comics instead of doing homework or other important things.

And I *wish* I was good at everything! I'd be working at DC if I were, instead of just being a fan. But thank you for the kind words, they're deeply appreciated. As are the contributions everyone here makes; if my opinions, ideas, and arguments are of quality, it's only because I've been able to refine and challenge them with you guys.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Many, many wasted years reading and thinking about comics instead of doing homework or other important things.

And I *wish* I was good at everything! I'd be working at DC if I were, instead of just being a fan. But thank you for the kind words, they're deeply appreciated. As are the contributions everyone here makes; if my opinions, ideas, and arguments are of quality, it's only because I've been able to refine and challenge them with you guys.
    3fa192e1ed0948ccaaca3ac1294bdd86.jpg

I always wanted to use this meme.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

And another image, just for fun:
    AdvofSman_Arm_01.jpg

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    AdvofSman_Arm_01.jpg
    Early Max was best Max, costume not withstanding. Change my mind.

AdvofSman_Arm_01.jpg
    And very 90's ��

I kid I kid

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    And very 90's ��

I kid I kid
    No, no. You aren't wrong.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Early Max was best Max, costume not withstanding. Change my mind.
    Why would we do that, when you're correct...?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Why would we do that, when you're correct...?
    Good to see some Bay Area Solidarity

The "roman" style.
    AdvofSman_Arm_02.jpg

AdvofSman_Arm_01.jpg
    And that aid was never heard from again.

I know it was the writing style of the time but it's still hilarious. I can imagine that girl working Maxima's nerves.

"Gasp, is that the Rebirth Maxima who replaced you in Supergirl?"

"Gasp, is that Weapon Master who kicked your ass in the old JLE."

"Gasp, is that Imperix, the man who murdered you in that forgotten 90's cross over?"

Maxima [gritting her teeth]: Sazuuu.....