Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think we're all part of the problem sometimes. I try to remember that we do need to try new things, but I can be just as set in my ways as anyone else.

And no, don't have that editor's job yet. I suppose I could send a resume to DC, but given all the layoffs at the company I doubt they're hiring.

Still, if any pro's or editors are lurking....send me a PM and let's talk; my degree is perfectly built for creative industries, including editing, writing, and management, and while I can fanboy as hard as the next poster I also know when to leave that at home and bring the business. I've also done a fair bit of graphic design and marketing so I do have some experience in similar fields.

Throwing that out there, just in case......
    Hey DC is trying new blood now a days. And also,I don't really see Maxima on modern day Superman. It feels appropriate for her to show up when he is on his younger days. By the time Jon is around. There is no reason on why Maxima should go to Earth. And I hate to say it cause I know it hurts since they done it to use with 3 Superman characters...but the only place I can see her modern day is in GL stuff.

You're not wrong, once Maxima gives up on the idea of wooing Clark, there's seemingly not much reason for her to show up. She's got a whole government to run on the other side of the galaxy, why would she visit earth?

In this, the United Planets and Clark's larger role in the cosmic DC comes into play. You could easily have Maxima included in plenty of stories simply by having Almerac join the UP. Or petition to join. Or join a rival organization. Almerac wants to cut some new trade deals with Rann? Clark is brought in to help negotiate. Almerac is attacked by the Khund? Clark is part of the UP peacekeeping force sent to stop them. Almerac joins a new alliance with the Gordanians as a response to the UP? Clark is sent to straighten things out.

Maxima, in her classic motivation, doesn't have a ton of mileage in her. She wants Super babies, and once she figures out she won't get them that's basically the end of it. But there's a lot more going on with her and Almerac than just that, and there's plenty of reasons for her and Clark to cross paths.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

You're not wrong, once Maxima gives up on the idea of wooing Clark, there's seemingly not much reason for her to show up. She's got a whole government to run on the other side of the galaxy, why would she visit earth?

In this, the United Planets and Clark's larger role in the cosmic DC comes into play. You could easily have Maxima included in plenty of stories simply by having Almerac join the UP. Or petition to join. Or join a rival organization. Almerac wants to cut some new trade deals with Rann? Clark is brought in to help negotiate. Almerac is attacked by the Khund? Clark is part of the UP peacekeeping force sent to stop them. Almerac joins a new alliance with the Gordanians as a response to the UP? Clark is sent to straighten things out.

Maxima, in her classic motivation, doesn't have a ton of mileage in her. She wants Super babies, and once she figures out she won't get them that's basically the end of it. But there's a lot more going on with her and Almerac than just that, and there's plenty of reasons for her and Clark to cross paths.
    Yeah, I more or less agree and it's why I think having her and Clark get down is bad for everyone involved. The only reason I want to send Jon with Nu Max to try and talk to her is she'd read it as a power move because she's petty. But giving them a kid? It just makes Clark look worse, will probably end up causing drama in the marriage that DC will turn into a "will she leave him? TUNE IN DEAR READERS" mess on what is the most forgone conclusion of comics: Superman and Lois Lane love each other. Like come on.

The best thing to do with Max is have her desire for Super babies be a thing she somewhat got over. She'd still go for it if that is an option, but it cannot be her motivation for long, and you need to make it about her political and genetic aspirations instead of "well aren't you studly, Superman?"

And yeah dude, you generally have some cool ideas and I think you should give an application some thought. You're more qualified than I am, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The best thing to do with Max is have her desire for Super babies be a thing she somewhat got over. She'd still go for it if that is an option, but it cannot be her motivation for long, and you need to make it about her political and genetic aspirations instead of "well aren't you studly, Superman?"
    That's exactly it. Like, Maxima would jump on the opportunity if it presented itself, because adding Kryptonian genes to the bloodline would pretty much cement her House holding the throne for generations. But she should have accepted that it isn't gonna happen, at least with Clark.

I'd actually like to get Maxima and Zod in a room to negotiate the arranged marriage of their children. Zod has a son, and if you ran with the idea of Maxima and Vartox getting married then you could totally have Almerac and New Krypton build formal ties, using the arranged marriage of Lor-Zod and Maxima's next daughter as part of the bargain. Maxima gets to add those Kryptonian genes to the bloodline, New Krypton gets a strong trade partner. Everyone wins. And then you can explore how Lor-Zod feels about it, and throw the Kent family into the middle of it.

Like I've said, Game of Thrones in space. It's an easy win.

And yeah dude, you generally have some cool ideas and I think you should give an application some thought. You're more qualified than I am, anyway.
    Truly appreciate the kind words guys.

Hell, it's a new year....maybe I will drop a resume sometime.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

That's exactly it. Like, Maxima would jump on the opportunity if it presented itself, because adding Kryptonian genes to the bloodline would pretty much cement her House holding the throne for generations. But she should have accepted that it isn't gonna happen, at least with Clark.

I'd actually like to get Maxima and Zod in a room to negotiate the arranged marriage of their children. Zod has a son, and if you ran with the idea of Maxima and Vartox getting married then you could totally have Almerac and New Krypton build formal ties, using the arranged marriage of Lor-Zod and Maxima's next daughter as part of the bargain. Maxima gets to add those Kryptonian genes to the bloodline, New Krypton gets a strong trade partner. Everyone wins. And then you can explore how Lor-Zod feels about it, and throw the Kent family into the middle of it.

Like I've said, Game of Thrones in space. It's an easy win.

Truly appreciate the kind words guys.

Hell, it's a new year....maybe I will drop a resume sometime.
    Zod was factored into my pitch too, but the New Krypton stuff actually made it better.

If I had anything published, I'd at least take a shot at getting a writing gig. New year, new blood, and new blood works for peanuts so it may be just what they want.

Eh, comics are a tough market to break into and the Big 2 always recruited from the indies. I have some minor graphic art projects and small marketing campaigns to my name but nothing that's actually very impressive (and none of it recent, the last economic collapse hurt us freelancers a lot and I had to get a real job!). And I don't know anyone in the business either, really. My education and the classes I took look good but that only gets you so far. But maybe you guys are right, and there's an opportunity right now in all this AT&T/2020 chaos.

So, now I wanna hear what your pitch was and how Zod factored into it. I'm not the only one here with good ideas, after all!

And I find it funny that this thread (and Power Girl's) is on, like, page three already while Clark's appreciation thread has like, two posts right now.

~ Black Panther.

Eh, comics are a tough market to break into and the Big 2 always recruited from the indies. I have some minor graphic art projects and small marketing campaigns to my name but nothing that's actually very impressive (and none of it recent, the last economic collapse hurt us freelancers a lot and I had to get a real job!). And I don't know anyone in the business either, really. My education and the classes I took look good but that only gets you so far. But maybe you guys are right, and there's an opportunity right now in all this AT&T/2020 chaos.

So, now I wanna hear what your pitch was and how Zod factored into it. I'm not the only one here with good ideas, after all!

And I find it funny that this thread (and Power Girl's) is on, like, page three already while Clark's appreciation thread has like, two posts right now.
    Arguably the whole board is a Clark appreciation thread. The Bruce and Diana threads always barely manage to hit 20 for that reason as well.

Honestly the short of it is that Zod was considering giving her a child to buy into the Almerac empire which he would attempt to change from the inside, surmising that his long life would allow him to essentially nudge it to where he wanted and a general xenophobic belief that his Kryptonian cells would eventually overwrite "mongrel" DNA (which Jon being his father's near clone and Kon seemingly taking little from Luthor helped nudge him into taking as fact) given Almeracian royalty was such a hodgepodge that yellow sun infused K cells would destroy them. In a few generations, he'd have many heirs-- enough to take Almerac's empire by force if not by their political sway-- and they could use the Almeracian empire as a tool for conquest and morph it into a Kryptonian empire. Max had her own ideals and visions for the future which I've detailed a bit in my previous post, but yeah.

Then New Krypton under Bendis happened. That kind of makes it a bit stronger insofar as he has his own "seat" as it were and I'd play with Max offering him protection to build his planet so long as he becomes an ally of Almerac, their child being something of a peace treaty (like New Genesis/Apokolips)... And like NG/A, there would be a great deal of double crossing going on but nothing so overt as to cause war... well, until the climax. I imagine the Superfam would have to get involved and pick a side, and considering both have their down sides, it wouldn't just be an easy choice.

As for PG's board, hey, we're a common denominator there, bud. Maybe we should get lives.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-01-2021 at 08:02 PM.

I like it.

Ohh, did you consider having the Super family pick different sides in the Almerac/Krypton conflict? Since neither Maxima nor Zod are clear-cut good choices, I could see Supers ending up on opposing sides.

~ Black Panther.

I like it.

Ohh, did you consider having the Super family pick different sides in the Almerac/Krypton conflict? Since neither Maxima nor Zod are clear-cut good choices, I could see Supers ending up on opposing sides.
    I played with it, with the idea being that they actually are playing both sides to bring them both down, but ultimately that feels like too many balls in the air and I get the feeling the reader would want to actually force Superman to make a choice instead of forcing the resolution to end on his terms like always. Like, that's absolutely the Superman thing to do... Find a third option... But I would have to mull that over with the artist, editor and the like. Get their read. I like it but I get the feeling others would find it a cop-out. If I could bull it off, yeah, absolutely, they bring them both down and force a peace treaty... But compromised victory is the name of the game in 2020.

Given some background info PKJ has said about his House of El one shot, namely that Clark has had other relationships after Lois, including other children besides Jon, might be he does end up having a kid with Maxima.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Given some background info PKJ has said about his House of El one shot, namely that Clark has had other relationships after Lois, including other children besides Jon, might be he does end up having a kid with Maxima.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised. Honestly, much that I hate the idea of how we get to it, it'd be a missed opportunity not to go that path if this is the direction they're taking.

You know that at some point some witter is going to bring the status quo hammer down and it be all for nothing. I don't really see any reason for Maxima going to Earth if Clark ain't single. That's why I mentioned GL since she can show up there....but I don't want her too.GL already has stolen too many Superman characters

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    You know that at some point some witter is going to bring the status quo hammer down and it be all for nothing. I don't really see any reason for Maxima going to Earth if Clark ain't single. That's why I mentioned GL since she can show up there....but I don't want her too.GL already has stolen too many Superman characters
    Like most of the members of the Superwatch? But it is true. Why Maxima would keep an enmity with Superman if the original motivation is gone? Could be because the negative to have babies with Maxima could had cost something to the Empire and Maxima suffered somekind of loss for that? There are best motivations but I can't think of another one.

If we go with the Minimax as daughter of Superman, you are forgetting than there is no need of intimate relationship to conceive an offspring. Ask Conner Kent. An space civilization like Almerac could had left behind natural gestation centuries ago. Maybe Maxima even never was pregnant and every almeracian is born from gestation chambers. (We don't know too much about Almerac, to be honest). Maybe Maxima got a blood sample of Superman to create her heir who has been a dissapointment and now needs a new sample.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Why Maxima would keep an enmity with Superman if the original motivation is gone?
    How important is it to each of you that the emnity remain long-term? I hadn't really thought as much about it before - it really depends on the role you want her to have (and whether she's on Earth or not as you kind of need an excuse for her not going back to home planet, IMO)
    If we go with the Minimax as daughter of Superman, you are forgetting than there is no need of intimate relationship to conceive an offspring. Ask Conner Kent. An space civilization like Almerac could had left behind natural gestation centuries ago. Maybe Maxima even never was pregnant and every almeracian is born from gestation chambers.
    Though, logically, then they wouldn't care as much about homosexuality, if they can just whip up kids from two same-sex partners (presuming strength/number of offspring is their goal). That said, people are very often completely illogical, so they could easily still have their biases. Though, really, of course, they (or each house/country/etc. - depends on political structure) could just get samples from everywhere and batch raise the offspring as members of the house without a parent at all. Though again, cultural norms may easily make this a no go.

Maybe Maxima got a blood sample of Superman to create her heir who has been a dissapointment and now needs a new sample.
    With one "failure" from his genetics, would she really want the same donor the second time around?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I played with it, with the idea being that they actually are playing both sides to bring them both down, but ultimately that feels like too many balls in the air and I get the feeling the reader would want to actually force Superman to make a choice instead of forcing the resolution to end on his terms like always. Like, that's absolutely the Superman thing to do... Find a third option... But I would have to mull that over with the artist, editor and the like. Get their read. I like it but I get the feeling others would find it a cop-out. If I could bull it off, yeah, absolutely, they bring them both down and force a peace treaty... But compromised victory is the name of the game in 2020.
    It'd definitely be a tight line to walk, but I think it could be pulled off in a satisfying way. You'd just really have to be careful in how you considered which side each Super would support, and then be very clear in explaining why they went the direction they did. There'd be some pushback, but probably less than you'd get for something like Nu Max being Clark's unknown daughter.

At least with Kara and Conner, there's a history of them disagreeing with Clark and going against his wishes. Not on the kind of political scale we're talking about here, but it's at least established that the Supers aren't a monolith when it comes to values and decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    How important is it to each of you that the emnity remain long-term? I hadn't really thought as much about it before - it really depends on the role you want her to have (and whether she's on Earth or not as you kind of need an excuse for her not going back to home planet, IMO)
    I think a degree of tension and mistrust is necessary, but Maxima hasn't been a strict villain in a long time. I'd never want her and Clark to be buddies who always get along but they have worked together when their interests align. That's one of the fun things about Maxima; depending on the situation she can be friend or foe and this back-and-forth doesn't really hinder her as a character the way it has some others, like Namor. Maxima isn't a hero or a supervillain, she's a politician and her motivation is always bent around the best interests of Almerac. And we all know that Clark doesn't really trust (or like) politicians, but will work with them when it's for the greater good.

With one "failure" from his genetics, would she really want the same donor the second time around?
    I want to say Almerac's established as using cloning technology and gene manipulation (but I don't recall the story that said it so I could be wrong), but as far as failed Kryptonian clones go I doubt Maxima would put much stock in earth's efforts and Conner. Compared to what Almerac can do, earth's cloning tech is likely incredibly primitive.

Actually, that might solve the problem of who Nu Max's dad is. Maybe Maxima couldn't find a suitable consort, got impatient, and created a clone of herself. Almerac is all about adding new DNA/powers to the bloodline so this wouldn't be considered a satisfactory option, but it would at least provide an heir to the throne. Then she hears about Superman, and maybe around the same time starts to realize that her clone/Nu Max is too soft to be a good empress, so Maxima shifts Nu Max's training to the "protector of the throne" role and heads off to earth to secure a new heir.

~ Black Panther.