Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Welcome to character shilling, bud.

They could but Nu Max has to stay. Erasing one of your lesbian characters to reinstate a heterosexual one who was demanding the male protagonist's baby is a minefield the company wants to avoid. Hell, that creator would get ripped apart on Twitter alone. It's why all my plans for Max, should I ever get to work on her (I won't) involve Nu Max.
    No one said they had to. So far the thread is just making Numaxima the daughter of old Maxima.

So if we do get Maxima back. Should her backstory be the same? Like she would still have a. History with Sueprman and try to push her daughter to court Jon?

I'm always in favor of keeping history. What do retcons accomplish, other than muddying the waters and making DC's screwed up, inconsistent continuity even more screwed up and inconsistent?

I'm all for tweaking the details a bit here and there, and adding stuff into the background/backstory (like Maxima having a young daughter while chasing Clark around Metropolis) but generally speaking I think writers should work within the bounds of continuity rather than re-writing it.

So yeah, I'd keep post-Crisis OG Maxima's story (more or less) the same as it appeared on the page. I'd just add in "background info" that we never heard before, like her having a daughter ill suited for the throne and a prior consort-mate that, for whatever reason, wasn't an option for a new heir.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm always in favor of keeping history. What do retcons accomplish, other than muddying the waters and making DC's screwed up, inconsistent continuity even more screwed up and inconsistent?

I'm all for tweaking the details a bit here and there, and adding stuff into the background/backstory (like Maxima having a young daughter while chasing Clark around Metropolis) but generally speaking I think writers should work within the bounds of continuity rather than re-writing it.

So yeah, I'd keep post-Crisis OG Maxima's story (more or less) the same as it appeared on the page. I'd just add in "background info" that we never heard before, like her having a daughter ill suited for the throne and a prior consort-mate that, for whatever reason, wasn't an option for a new heir.
    I would keep NuMaxima and OG Maxima as separate entities and everything we go in the 90's between her and Superman happened with some tweaks

Extraordinary Member

Just say that New Maxima is the daughter of older Maxima and Massacre after Our Worlds at War, but all aged up.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Just say that New Maxima is the daughter of older Maxima and Massacre after Our Worlds at War, but all aged up.
    Yeah, most of us are of the mind they can just be mother and daughter. That it's such a ubiquitous thought on here makes me think it's probably crossed the mind of some creators or fans who will one day make the jump to creator, so it's a when rather than an if.

I live in hope and am waiting for that day. Hell, I'd love to do it but I'm 100% certain most comic fans would hate the stories I write.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, most of us are of the mind they can just be mother and daughter.
    It is required than they should be mother and daughter? Could be NuMax a younger sister?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    It is required than they should be mother and daughter? Could be NuMax a younger sister?
    I don't think it's "required" but I think it's preferable. You get the parallels of Maxima and Clark as parents, and how they contrast each other in that role. The tension and drama between the Younger and Older has more resonance when it's mother-daughter, and deeper political implications if Maxima can't control her own child.

Making them sisters does solve some problems the mother-daughter dynamic poses, primarily who the father was and what happened to him, but I don't think it would be as emotionally rich a story.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Anyone read the Armageddon 2001 issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I don't think it's "required" but I think it's preferable. You get the parallels of Maxima and Clark as parents, and how they contrast each other in that role. The tension and drama between the Younger and Older has more resonance when it's mother-daughter, and deeper political implications if Maxima can't control her own child.

Making them sisters does solve some problems the mother-daughter dynamic poses, primarily who the father was and what happened to him, but I don't think it would be as emotionally rich a story.
    Ages were the first thing I thought of as an issue. Is she a similar age to Clark? Is she old enough to have a grown daughter? But then I figured, she's not human, so who knows how they age, you know? And even besides that, it's not like Clark had Jon at 20, so she could still be close in age and have grown daughter, theoretically. Ideas on age of fertility ending for her species, relative to her age? I mean, it she's going for another offspring. Also, if she's that old, how many children does she have? She didn't seem to want to stop with one in her original story. But quality over quantity, and maybe the father died in some manner and she hasn't found another suitable candidate.

In post-Crisis Maxima always seemed of an age with Clark, so that nebulous "25-35" range. But it's hard to pin down. The art most definitely drew her as a fully grown adult but past that?

And you're right, Maxima's age and what bearing that has on her reproduction is easily hand waved. Made even easier when you consider the importance Almerac apparently puts on having a viable heir and how unstable the throne can sometimes be; Maxima likely took the throne at a fairly young age and would've been expected to start pumping out heirs almost immediately. I vaguely think I might recall some of the early stories mentioning that she was past the age where she should've had an heir, so her catching Superman was even more important. Making Nu Max her daughter is just a matter of saying she *did* start having kids young, a relatively minor retcon if you assume Nu Max was *mostly* raised by tutors while mom was busy running the empire.

~ Black Panther.

If we keep Maxima history with Clark intact, that means she would have to have showed up in Metropolis like 17 or so years ago. When Clark was in his early 20's.

If we run with the idea of Nu Max being Clark's kid, then yeah, but the math fits. Maxima shows up somewhere around year 2 or 3, somewhere in Clark's early or mid 20's. Clark's gotta have some experience under him but still be early in his career, to keep the history (mostly) intact. He and Lois have grown from rivals to friends and are starting to think of each other in a "certain" way, but haven't acted on it yet. If Maxima got what she came for one night, then seventeen years later (assuming Almeraci grow at a similar pace) Clark's just pushing 40 or so. Which is perfectly reasonable, Tom Brady is still playing at 40, plenty of men that age have kids who are *at least* as old as Jon "should" be.

If Nu Max isn't Clark's kid (my preference by a big margin) then it doesn't matter nearly so much when she was born relative to Maxima's trip to earth. You gotta figure out whether Maxima had Nu Max before or after meeting Superman, but otherwise it's a non-issue.

~ Black Panther.

Maxima shows up somewhere around year 2 or 3, somewhere in Clark's early or mid 20's. Clark's gotta have some experience under him but still be early in his career, to keep the history (mostly) intact.
    If you say so. I'm a little hazy on 1980s post-COIE Superman. Batman still had at least 6 years of experience under his belt (given Dick's age), and Wonder Woman was turned into a rookie, but I don't know how long Superman had been on the scene, exactly. Especially since all the COIE norms weren't really established with COIE, some coming a bit later.

Extraordinary Member

Why do you think DC would ever allow Maxima jr to be Clark’s kid?

They won’t do it. They’d sooner bring back the Clark Ross, Sam Lane and Lena Luthor babies.