Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
That was the original case in Pre-Crisis, but that reason doesn’t make sense anymore. With Clark’s superhearing he can just hear crises and respond with super speed. So Post-Crisis he’s a journalist because he likes doing it:

As for Kara I just don’t buy her being interested in journalism. Did Krypton even have journalists? They certainly didn’t seem to play a role in society by Kara’s time. Furthermore as an El she should’ve been groomed for the sciences, which is also why I don’t buy her going to school. Kara’s knowledge she learned in Kryptonian middle school should put her on par with the top DC geniuses in terms of scientific knowledge. There’s nothing human education (particularly American education) can teach her at this point. Working at STAR would still allow her to establish human connections while also letting her use her Kryptonian knowledge as well as separating her from her cousin. As a general rule I’m not a fan of the rest of the Supers copying Clark, I just think that’s boring.
I think in the context of the show it was because she respected Cat Grant and it let her better understand humanity/push forward the truth regarding aliens and how they're not all here to annihilate humanity. Her reporting had a very social bent on the show.