Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I can't tell if DC wants their leading lady's to succeed or not.
    I mean say what you will about Batman and Heroes in Crisis, he sells well when it comes to his mini/maxi-series. Mister Miracle, Omega Men, Strange Adventures, and etc. Not to mention he did right Superman Up in the sky which was a really good recent Superman mini adventure. So Tom King is not exactly the worst choice when it comes to a Supergirl mini.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Kara is going to become the next victim of King's trauma fetish.

The fact that DC describes this book as character defining (and the title) makes me think Kara will become superwoman in this.

I really enjoyed King’s Up in the Sky mini so I’m excited for this! Also this means we won’t have to worry about Kara getting derailed by event tie-ins.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I see people praise Up in the Sky but from what I've read of King he just seems so antithetical to writing a character like Supergirl.

I just don't know how to feel about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    The fact that DC describes this book as character defining (and the title) makes me think Kara will become superwoman in this.
    Granted, "character defining" by the end of a King series usually means heavy trauma, depression, and hope that we can pretend it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I see people praise Up in the Sky but from what I've read of King he just seems so antithetical to writing a character like Supergirl.

I just don't know how to feel about this.

Granted, "character defining" by the end of a King series usually means heavy trauma, depression, and hope that we can pretend it didn't happen.
    That supposes that a character like Superman or Supergirl can’t have darker stories, which I don’t think is true. I get why people are cautious, Lord knows we’ve had a bunch of garbage attempts at a dark Superman, but I don’t think the failures erase stuff like how Moore successfully write darker Superman stories. You can tell stories about grief or loss or pain with these characters. Granted though, you’ve been on record as preferring a lighter Supergirl, whereas I’m the guy who enjoyed New 52 Supergirl. I like my Kara angrier and safer than you do, so King is 100% my jam.

That said King can do light stories just fine, Up in the Sky and his GL Darkseid War tie-in proved that. So let’s see what he does.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That supposes that a character like Superman or Supergirl can’t have darker stories, which I don’t think is true. I get why people are cautious, Lord knows we’ve had a bunch of garbage attempts at a dark Superman, but I don’t think the failures erase stuff like how Moore successfully write darker Superman stories. You can tell stories about grief or loss or pain with these characters. Granted though, you’ve been on record as preferring a lighter Supergirl, whereas I’m the guy who enjoyed New 52 Supergirl. I like my Kara angrier and safer than you do, so King is 100% my jam.

That said King can do light stories just fine, Up in the Sky and his GL Darkseid War tie-in proved that. So let’s see what he does.
    I mean, I'm not arguing against darker stories just that King seems to take characters I like (Booster Gold, Wally, Kyle, Mr. Miracle, Adam Strange) and turn them into traumatized, depressed, messes.

The Darkseid War tie-in is like an outlier for King's work as far as what I've read.

That and his dialogue bothers me as much as Bendis' does now.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

The more I look at that logo the less I like it...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I'm glad they're keeping the Rebirth suit .

Tom King says that with this he’s trying to get closer to what he did in Superman: Up in the sky. If that is true, then I think we will be in for at least a good story.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomKingTK...88355250790402
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Tom King says that with this he’s trying to get closer to what he did in Superman: Up in the sky. If that is true, then I think we will be in for at least a good story.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomKingTK...88355250790402
    I guess I need to read this story .

It was a great story. Even in the darker moments, you feel you were reading Superman.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I thought it was great. One of the best Superman stories of the 2010s honestly. A very rare great standalone Superman story that stars him in his peak instead of an origin or an endgame tale.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    The more I look at that logo the less I like it...
    Yeah, what an ugly typeface...
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I’ve seen some people call the logo “western” and I thought it looked more Art Deco/raypunk gothic which fits the Superfamily imo