Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Usually that costume was shown to have the blue leotard go all the way down, hence no inappropriate panty shots.

Also, Matrix always presented as older, despite being naive. There wasn't a creepy factor (at least that I was ever aware of!) like there often seems to be with Kara.
    I remember when Jamal Igle showed her wearing visible shorts underneath her skirt. That's my preferred solution.

That or have her wear shorts (which she briefly did in the 70's) or full on pants.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Very few creators have shown the respect for the character that Gates & Igle did, that's for sure.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Even though I said I don't like Kara with a skirt, I do like they Future State Superwoman look from the waist down, and I'd be totally fine with them making that the status quo suit.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

As far as costumes, I enjoy the one that Smallville comic gave her, which would be a good "Superwoman" costume.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I remember when Jamal Igle showed her wearing visible shorts underneath her skirt. That's my preferred solution.

That or have her wear shorts (which she briefly did in the 70's) or full on pants.
    I don't get the obsession with Supergirl and pants to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Even though I said I don't like Kara with a skirt, I do like they Future State Superwoman look from the waist down, and I'd be totally fine with them making that the status quo suit.
    As long as that status quo is Future State .

Superwoman #1 is out! This whole issue was about Bennett kind of walking the line between the Sterling Gates/Jamal Igle Kara, the one who is at peace with herself and is much more upbeat and happy, and the Kara iteration that I enjoyed during the New 52, the Kara with some deep anger issues. It’s about Kara attempting to mentor someone very much like herself and show her the way forward, while also wrestling with her deep seated resentment about being upstaged first by Kal and then by Jon. I loved it, I don’t know how some of you will take that ending but I would definitely enjoy seeing Bennett do more Kara stories. Loved the art too, felt whimsical like an indie, but all the washed out tone gave it a very melancholy feel.

Looking forward to part 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Future State Supergirl:

I love this costume. I actually like it more than her Superwoman costume, aesthetically speaking. But I recognize her Superwoman costume is perfect for who she is trying to be at that point- a woman of peace who has left the fighting behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Superwoman #1 is out! This whole issue was about Bennett kind of walking the line between the Sterling Gates/Jamal Igle Kara, the one who is at peace with herself and is much more upbeat and happy, and the Kara iteration that I enjoyed during the New 52, the Kara with some deep anger issues. It’s about Kara attempting to mentor someone very much like herself and show her the way forward, while also wrestling with her deep seated resentment about being upstaged first by Kal and then by Jon. I loved it, I don’t know how some of you will take that ending but I would definitely enjoy seeing Bennett do more Kara stories. Loved the art too, felt whimsical like an indie, but all the washed out tone gave it a very melancholy feel.

Looking forward to part 2!
    I think it's been a pretty consistent trait of modern Supergirl for the past several years that there's a lot of feelings and insecurities she represses to some extent. Even the TV version.

Not sure what's going on with Clark looking like the Eradicator though.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I love this costume. I actually like it more than her Superwoman costume, aesthetically speaking. But I recognize her Superwoman costume is perfect for who she is trying to be at that point- a woman of peace who has left the fighting behind.
    I think the TV costume would have benefited greatly from looking more like this suit.

Although just like with the TV costume it feels more "Superwoman" than "Supergirl."

To be fair, TV Kara is 30 years old now, almost twice as old as comics Kara!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I’m glad someone is officially acknowledging that Pre-Crisis Kal was a total dick to Kara lmao

But I also liked this take that it came from a sense of overprotectiveness because Kal doesn’t want to be alone again, to lose the only family he had left.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m glad someone is officially acknowledging that Pre-Crisis Kal was a total dick to Kara lmao

But I also liked this take that it came from a sense of overprotectiveness because Kal doesn’t want to be alone again, to lose the only family he had left.

From what I've seen of what Ridley is doing, there's a lot of meta-commentary and voiced subtext about a lot of the unfortunate implications of the Silver and Bronze Age.

Although it's funny for them to mention Babs mentoring Kara when later on it's made explicit how close they ended up being.

I guess it's an interesting contrast with Post-Crisis Kara where once Clark has her she immediately gets kidnapped to get Amazon training and then her "public" debut is to the hero community and not some huge parade.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    From what I've seen of what Ridley is doing, there's a lot of meta-commentary and voiced subtext about a lot of the unfortunate implications of the Silver and Bronze Age.

Although it's funny for them to mention Babs mentoring Kara when later on it's made explicit how close they ended up being.
    One thing Ridley makes repeatedly clear: The protagonists aren’t omniscient. They see things from their own point of view and that doesn’t always capture the full picture, like how Pierce didn’t know the real John Stewart and Karen wasn’t aware that Babs and Kara did have a relationship.

Who's the narrator there? Vordan, it's not Power Girl, they mention being a woman of colour. Is it Bumblebee?

Whoever it is, they're right that Kara should've been a Titan. She didn't become one until One Year Later, I think, in the late 2000s. When the team started in the 60s, Donna was created by accident (Wonder Girl wasn't previously a sidekick, she was more like Superboy), and they didn't own Mary Marvel yet, so there were actually no other pre-existing teen girls available.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-27-2021 at 01:42 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Who's the narrator there? Vordan, it's not Power Girl, they mention being a woman of colour. Is it Bumblebee?

Whoever it is, they're right that Kara should've been a Titan. She didn't become one until One Year Later, I think, in the late 2000s.
    Yep it’s Bumblebee, her and Mal are the narrators for the second issue like BL was for the first one.

I really wished Kara could have lived with Clark rather than being dumped in an orphanage. She could have still operated in secret while learning to adjust to Earth living with Clark and going to school in Metropolis. She just as easily could have become a Titan with Donna helping her to further adjust.