Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    Same, I like her new superhero gear. Hope that her Future State book is good and I would not mind if they change her superhero codename from Supergirl to Superwoman.
    I feel like Supergirl is more profitable than SW, that would also give DC the green light to make a new Supergirl or reintroduce Cir-EL.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

The big-screen Hollywood version

and its product placement

Sorry. Meant to quote...
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Matrix is still my favorite Supergirl! *ducks* And no one drew her better than Gammill and Grummett!

Right there with you!
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Since Surpergirl is going to feature in other books, similar to Kon’s set up I assume, and PKJ in the interview mentioned that Kara is on equal terms with Kal power wise and will be getting a lot more respect going forward, I’m trying to think where she could possibly turn up. Wouldn’t surprise me if she guest stars in Bendis JL but where else? Not Suicide Squad since that doesn’t really suit her, and it’s Kon’s area. She’s never been a Titan so not there. Possibly a new team book that replaces JL Odyssey? Maybe a Legion of Superheroes relaunch (funny how history repeats)?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Since Surpergirl is going to feature in other books, similar to Kon’s set up I assume, and PKJ in the interview mentioned that Kara is on equal terms with Kal power wise and will be getting a lot more respect going forward, I’m trying to think where she could possibly turn up. Wouldn’t surprise me if she guest stars in Bendis JL but where else? Not Suicide Squad since that doesn’t really suit her, and it’s Kon’s area. She’s never been a Titan so not there. Possibly a new team book that replaces JL Odyssey? Maybe a Legion of Superheroes relaunch (funny how history repeats)?
    Huh, guess they're going with Post-Crisis level of strength when she first came back, but I feel like she's still too young to be on par with Clark unless maybe the Secret Seven transformation left her with a power boost.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Huh, guess they're going with Post-Crisis level of strength when she first came back, but I feel like she's still too young to be on par with Clark unless maybe the Secret Seven transformation left her with a power boost.
    I mean she's younger than him, smaller with less muscle mass and has been absorbing sunlight for a fraction of the time he has so it makes complete sense she's as strong.

They just want her to be as strong. It's not going to make sense beyond that. Even when he's stronger than her, it's usually by a negligible amount. Clark only overpowers others significantly when the multiverse needs it's greatest champion.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    It's appropriate to kick off a New Year with an origin story

The dialog could have been better. Superman sounds chauvinistic.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I mean she's younger than him, smaller with less muscle mass and has been absorbing sunlight for a fraction of the time he has so it makes complete sense she's as strong.

They just want her to be as strong. It's not going to make sense beyond that. Even when he's stronger than her, it's usually by a negligible amount. Clark only overpowers others significantly when the multiverse needs it's greatest champion.
    Muscle mass has little to do with strength when it comes to Kryptonians, the things Superman and Supergirl have done could not be accountable by musculature alone. They gave Superman the muscles of a body builder because it looks great on a man, on a woman not so much. She-hulk is rather the exception to the rule when it comes to female superheroes, most often comic book artists draw them curvy and thin rather than bulked out with muscles.

So per BC it looks like Chip Zdarsky will be writing a JL spinoff. I’m guessing that’s where Kara will end up.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    Muscle mass has little to do with strength when it comes to Kryptonians, the things Superman and Supergirl have done could not be accountable by musculature alone. They gave Superman the muscles of a body builder because it looks great on a man, on a woman not so much. She-hulk is rather the exception to the rule when it comes to female superheroes, most often comic book artists draw them curvy and thin rather than bulked out with muscles.
    Yes, I understand. My facetious point was that by every metric we know to gauge strength in fiction (muscle mass, size, weight, time with solar absorption for Kyrptonians) Kara falls short of Clark so there's no logical reason for her to be as strong as him other than because they want her to be. Unlike Wonder Woman, who has a different well-spring of powers, Kara operates on the same rules Clark does. So unless Kryptonian females are more efficient at absorbing yellow sunlight (which we've never seen be a thing with others), then either Kara is some super mesiah or Clark is actually very bad at absorbing yellow sun radiation.

None of it makes sense, so it's just the powers that be want her to be as strong as him, likely because it's empowering for Kara and her readers.

Moreover, I would argue female characters look fine with muscles, but not overboard like the men (who also look way too ripped in my opinion). And yes, most often comic artists draw them curvy because they find that appealing to look at, not because it makes any degree of sense and historically it was in very stupid costumes designed to titillate themselves and the readers. I won't pretend I don't like some of those costumes (Black Canary, for example, was admittedly designed to be Infantino's dream girl), but let's not pretend that female superheroes are drawn more waify because it makes the most sense from a design aesthetic. It's sex appeal, none of which is factored into the male heroes, who are designed with male power fantasy. It's not because "it looks great" it's because guys want to think they're a big muscular man surrounded by babes. Hell, what we're finding now is that a lot of costumes and ideas that seemed so very problematic were arguably that way because of how they were drawn as opposed to the costumes themselves being exceptionally problematic.

Chip Zdarsky getting more DC work sounds good to me. Hopefully he'll jump to the top of Supergirl writers.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-03-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

"Elseshopping" - Otto Schmidt
    EqgckHwW8AAq0b7.jpg
    Elseworlds Supergirl, Batgirl, Black Canary, Big Barda

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    "Elseshopping" - Otto Schmidt
    EqgckHwW8AAq0b7.jpg
    Elseworlds Supergirl, Batgirl, Black Canary, Big Barda
    Kara looks gorgeous! And has got some strong ab action going .

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yes, I understand. My facetious point was that by every metric we know to gauge strength in fiction (muscle mass, size, weight, time with solar absorption for Kyrptonians) Kara falls short of Clark so there's no logical reason for her to be as strong as him other than because they want her to be. Unlike Wonder Woman, who has a different well-spring of powers, Kara operates on the same rules Clark does. So unless Kryptonian females are more efficient at absorbing yellow sunlight (which we've never seen be a thing with others), then either Kara is some super mesiah or Clark is actually very bad at absorbing yellow sun radiation.

None of it makes sense, so it's just the powers that be want her to be as strong as him, likely because it's empowering for Kara and her readers.

Moreover, I would argue female characters look fine with muscles, but not overboard like the men (who also look way too ripped in my opinion). And yes, most often comic artists draw them curvy because they find that appealing to look at, not because it makes any degree of sense and historically it was in very stupid costumes designed to titillate themselves and the readers. I won't pretend I don't like some of those costumes (Black Canary, for example, was admittedly designed to be Infantino's dream girl), but let's not pretend that female superheroes are drawn more waify because it makes the most sense from a design aesthetic. It's sex appeal, none of which is factored into the male heroes, who are designed with male power fantasy. It's not because "it looks great" it's because guys want to think they're a big muscular man surrounded by babes. Hell, what we're finding now is that a lot of costumes and ideas that seemed so very problematic were arguably that way because of how they were drawn as opposed to the costumes themselves being exceptionally problematic.

Chip Zdarsky getting more DC work sounds good to me. Hopefully he'll jump to the top of Supergirl writers.
    Comics is a very visual medium. Since it is about the pictures, it makes sense that you would want your titular comic book heroes to be as good looking as possible, it doesn't hurt to make Supergirl look pretty to the male eye, Supergirl may be a role model to female readers, but they also want her to look good to the male readers as well, after all its all about selling comic books in the end.

Do you want Kara to look like She-Hulk but without the green skin, because I don't? I think she looks fit, fitter than most teenage girls you would actually meet. There are some female body builders, and sometimes they go a bit overboard and lose their feminine shape a bit when they bulk on too much muscle, just my opinion, feel free to disagree.
    Last edited by Tom Kalbfus; 01-04-2021 at 03:26 PM.

Future State Supergirl: