Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Linda Lee feels... fake in a way most secret identities usually don't. It's a name a teenager that just lost everything picked randomly to fit in with the strange people her cousin was leaving her with.

Linda Danvers is much better, because that's the name said teenager uses after she has found a new family with two people who love her. Then again, having her go by that name these days would mean making the return of the post-Crisis Linda Danvers more complicated than it already is (I'm convinced they'll bring her back in some way eventually).

So yeah, having her go by Kara in her secret identity is perhaps too suspicious, but her costume is far more believable than Clark's anyway, so I don't see it as something problematic.

Astonishing Member

If Wonder Woman can get away with "Diana Prince", then Supergirl can get away with "Kara".

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    If Wonder Woman can get away with "Diana Prince", then Supergirl can get away with "Kara".
    Wonder Woman doesn’t even have a secret identity these days anymore though.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Wonder Woman doesn’t even have a secret identity these days anymore though.
    She does occasionally bring it out in media adaptions, though.

Didn't she use it in New 52 too? It would've been quite suspicious for Clark Kent to go on dates with Wonder Woman. But she dressed in civilian clothing, put her hair up, and wore glasses like Clark does.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Didn't she use it in New 52 too? It would've been quite suspicious for Clark Kent to go on dates with Wonder Woman. But she dressed in civilian clothing, put her hair up, and wore glasses like Clark does.
    Even Rebirth at least referenced it.

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The top middle look is kind of interesting.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I've come to really appreciate the DCAU version of Supergirl than I already have. She was the closest thing to a modern adaptation of the Pre-Crisis Supergirl.

I disagree with the consensus about modern 2010s comic book Supergirl being an interesting character, for me she comes across as too modern angsty for my liking, which is why the most memorable and most successful version to me will always be Silver Age/Pre-Crisis Supergirl, basically a teenager trying to find her way on this new world without her cousin's guidance 24/7 and we actually got an adaptation of that, DCAU's Kara from Superman The Animated Series, which was in my opinion the best modern day adaptation of the character since Pre-Crisis and yet no a lot of people give that version of the character the respect she deserves.
    Last edited by BBally; 08-15-2021 at 09:35 AM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I've come to really appreciate the DCAU version of Supergirl than I already have. She was the closest thing to a modern adaptation of the Pre-Crisis Supergirl.

I disagree with the consensus about modern 2010s comic book Supergirl being an interesting character, for me she comes across as too modern angsty for my liking, which is why the most memorable and most successful version to me will always be Silver Age/Pre-Crisis Supergirl, basically a teenager trying to find her way on this new world without her cousin's guidance 24/7 and we actually got an adaptation of that, DCAU's Kara from Superman The Animated Series, which was in my opinion the best modern day adaptation of the character since Pre-Crisis and yet no a lot of people give that version of the character the respect she deserves.

Still my all time favorite version of her!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The top middle look is kind of interesting.
    That was the costume she had in the early seventies. It didn't last very long. I think it was fan designed, if I remember correctly.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post

DCAU Kara was my first introduction to the character. I'm glad they were able to find a way to fit her in and do a classic Supergirl despite DC's mandates at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    DCAU Kara was my first introduction to the character. I'm glad they were able to find a way to fit her in and do a classic Supergirl despite DC's mandates at the time.
    The funny thing is that if you pay attention... even though she's technically listed as an Argoan and has a different family name(In-Ze).... It's the sort of changes made by someone who did their homework harder than the people enforcing the mandates.

1: Argo is a "sister planet" of Krypton and in the same solar system. Yeah.... Argo orbits Rao. Also, I just realized that the name is interpretable two ways... named after Argo city on Krypton, but also... Krypton and Argon are both noble gasses.

2: In-Ze is the family name of Kara Zor-El's MOTHER. Yeah, the naming scheme would put Kara In-Ze as being something akin to the cousin or aunt of Kara Zor-El.

3: see point 1.... "Argoans" are functionally the same species as Kryptonians. They might even be literally the same species. I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to remember Argo being described as a "colony world", and some implication that there was some level of travel and recent inter-marriage. Thus in this universe, certain people and things that were originally on Krypton are on a nearby planet instead.

Also... I could totally see her going Red.... Especially if the ring found her during that Skartaris fiasco. If THAT had happened she'd have just gone rage mode and used the ring to kick Metallo's ass. "Heart of Kryptonite? I'mma rip that out now!" As it was she actually used Stargirl's Cosmic Staff to sever his arm.... Yeah... SUPERGIRL used Stargirl's staff to fight Metallo. O-o' Also... Kara eventually cut his heart out with a dagger anyways.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RGGqWPMvjU