Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m glad someone is officially acknowledging that Pre-Crisis Kal was a total dick to Kara lmao

But I also liked this take that it came from a sense of overprotectiveness because Kal doesn’t want to be alone again, to lose the only family he had left.

So they remember the pre-Crisis timeline? How does this work?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    So they remember the pre-Crisis timeline? How does this work?
    It’s a Black Label book, so it’s standalone and separate from the mainline.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

So if a tree falls in a BL book, does it make a sound in mainline continuity?

"Everything happened, everything matters" now, but I wonder if that means each character is aware of everything happening across the different continuities?
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    So if a tree falls in a BL book, does it make a sound in mainline continuity?

"Everything happened, everything matters" now, but I wonder if that means each character is aware of everything happening across the different continuities?
    It doesn’t. Don’t buy into the hype, DC always goes “it all matters!”, but usually it just means the status quo of writers picking and choosing what they want to acknowledge. As for BL, the goal was to create “Killing Jokes” stuff that was created to stand alone, but if it was popular enough, could be made canon. I don’t expect Other History to be one of those though, given its heavy focus on Bronze Age stories.

It’s a Black Label book, so it’s standalone and separate from the mainline.
    That makes a lot more sense. It would be awkward to have her "die" only to turn around and have her show up again later.
    Assassinate Putin!

Does anyone else still find themselves pronouncing her name "Care-Uh" instead of "Car-Uh" like modern media do?

Cute and beautiful illustrations of Supergirl .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Does anyone else still find themselves pronouncing her name "Care-Uh" instead of "Car-Uh" like modern media do?

Yep I still do “Care” instead of “Car”. Did the show start the trend of pronouncing it Car or was I just mispronouncing it all that time?

Rude has that same realism-esque feel as Ross, but there’s still a folk tale/pulp feel to his stuff that I really love when it comes to Superman. Ross’ stuff can sometimes feel stiff while Rude’s feels more energetic. Really like his Kara.

Fantastic Member

I’m glad someone is officially acknowledging that Pre-Crisis Kal was a total dick to Kara lmao. But I also liked this take that it came from a sense of overprotectiveness because Kal doesn’t want to be alone again, to lose the only family he had left.
    Well, I agree that his behaviour is... interesting... Kara's by one means the worst victim of his Superdickery during the period, and at least in the case, there are other reads to it.

From what I've seen of what Ridley is doing, there's a lot of meta-commentary and voiced subtext about a lot of the unfortunate implications of the Silver and Bronze Age. Although it's funny for them to mention Babs mentoring Kara when later on it's made explicit how close they ended up being. I guess it's an interesting contrast with Post-Crisis Kara where once Clark has her she immediately gets kidnapped to get Amazon training and then her "public" debut is to the hero community and not some huge parade.
    Actually, if you look at the timeline, it's more likely that Kara was the one mentoring Barbara, not the other way around (Kara'd been a public hero and member of the Legion for years by that point). I'd also point out that Modern Age!Kara being mentored by the Amazons (admittedly mostly Artemis rather than Donna, which may have been a factor...) didn't work as well as Bumblebee is suggesting that it would.

One thing Ridley makes repeatedly clear: The protagonists aren’t omniscient. They see things from their own point of view and that doesn’t always capture the full picture, like how Pierce didn’t know the real John Stewart and Karen wasn’t aware that Babs and Kara did have a relationship.
    While that's true, IMO the more important thing that Bumblebee's missing is the years that Kara spent with the Legion, which did start before her public debut in the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Who's the narrator there? Vordan, it's not Power Girl, they mention being a woman of colour. Is it Bumblebee? Whoever it is, they're right that Kara should've been a Titan. She didn't become one until One Year Later, I think, in the late 2000s. When the team started in the 60s, Donna was created by accident (Wonder Girl wasn't previously a sidekick, she was more like Superboy), and they didn't own Mary Marvel yet, so there were actually no other pre-existing teen girls available.
    By the time that the Titans came along, I'm not sure joining them would have actually helped her all that much. The two changes I would have made would be foster closer connections between Black Canary (particularly if we're keeping the Silver Age!Canary is Dinah Jr from the beginning retcon) and Zatanna, who she actually shared the Supergirl title with in the 1970s, and have her replace Superman on the Detroit League as IMO her extra power, skills and experience would fill at least one gap in that line-up.

Yep I still do “Care” instead of “Car”. Did the show start the trend of pronouncing it Car or was I just mispronouncing it all that time?

Rude has that same realism-esque feel as Ross, but there’s still a folk tale/pulp feel to his stuff that I really love when it comes to Superman. Ross’ stuff can sometimes feel stiff while Rude’s feels more energetic. Really like his Kara.
    I think it was definitely the TV show. Up until that point every media adaption used "Care."

Extraordinary Member

I've always thought of her as Care-uh, and Power Girl as Kar-ah. I just imagined that's how the people of the DCU would call to each.

I have a cousin named Kara and it's pronounced "Care Uh". So that's my default.
    Assassinate Putin!

Heh I liked this cockiness shown by Kara in today’s FS issue

Heh I liked this cockiness shown by Kara in today’s FS issue
    I like the ponytail look .

The spandex makes it look like she's wearing yoga pants in that one panel .

Astonishing Member

I wonder how she says it when she introduces herself. We should remember that, unlike her cousin Kal, Kara may speak English with a bit of a Kryptonian accent.