Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

I liked how the Superman/Batman: Apocalypse movie had Kryptonian sound vaguely “French”. I’d like to hear Kara speak with an accent but DC never even bothered to have Diana speak with an accent until Gadot, so I’m not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I liked how the Superman/Batman: Apocalypse movie had Kryptonian sound vaguely “French”. I’d like to hear Kara speak with an accent but DC never even bothered to have Diana speak with an accent until Gadot, so I’m not holding my breath.
    I can see why it would make sense for her to have an accent since she's basically an immigrant having to learn English at age 16-ish, but there's the double-edged sword of depicting a character with an accent and how that might effect a performance.

Like, in the trailer for the new Justice Society animated film with Stana Katic as Diana, it's weird for me that Wonder Woman sounds Russian because they're trying to give her an accent like Gadot has.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can see why it would make sense for her to have an accent since she's basically an immigrant having to learn English at age 16-ish, but there's the double-edged sword of depicting a character with an accent and how that might effect a performance.

Like, in the trailer for the new Justice Society animated film with Stana Katic as Diana, it's weird for me that Wonder Woman sounds Russian because they're trying to give her an accent like Gadot has.
    True, true. I don’t know why they don’t get a Greek actress to play Diana if they want her to have an accent. For Kara I don’t think a French accent would too hard to get though.

True, true. I don’t know why they don’t get a Greek actress to play Diana if they want her to have an accent. For Kara I don’t think a French accent would too hard to get though.
    I mean, how many prominent female Greek actress can you name among TV/film actors or the LA VA pool? It also probably doesn't help that a lot of people still imagine Susan Eisenberg as Diana's voice.

Although it's funny you mention Kryptonian sounding French since I think Melissa Benoist is actually of French descent.

Astonishing Member

Remember, though, that the Amazons are not strictly Greek but more nearly a hybrid civilization; e.g., "Diana" is a Roman name, not Greek. Furthermore, each Greek city-state had its own dialect. (I have read that a Spartan accent would have sounded to the Athenians somewhat like an American Southern accent would sound to a Midwesterner.) The Amazons are their own Mediterranean culture, and they have their own unique accent.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I mean, how many prominent female Greek actress can you name among TV/film actors or the LA VA pool? It also probably doesn't help that a lot of people still imagine Susan Eisenberg as Diana's voice.

Although it's funny you mention Kryptonian sounding French since I think Melissa Benoist is actually of French descent.
    I definitely used to read WW in Eisenberg's voice, but now it's all Gal Gadot, all the time!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

It'd be a unique spin on Kara, it wouldn't make any sense for her to speak without one since was a teen when she came here.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Yeah she sounded really different, it made me think were using Hippolytas version of WW.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Fantastic Member

Interesting that you heard it as "French" in particular, when they used a combination of gibberish with a bit of Esperanto, which has Latin-Germanic routes and Slavic grammar so is a hybrid of elements of most major Western languages.

Those of you who preferred a kinder more gentle Kara will enjoy how this story in Superwoman ended I think. I enjoyed it myself, it was nice to see Kara inspire someone else to be better, and to see the legacy she forged for herself.

I would like to see Bennett write more Kara whether in the FS timeline or in the present.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Those of you who preferred a kinder more gentle Kara will enjoy how this story in Superwoman ended I think. I enjoyed it myself, it was nice to see Kara inspire someone else to be better, and to see the legacy she forged for herself.
    I feel like this is going to be a point of contention between us .

I feel like this is going to be a point of contention between us .
    Hah you didn’t get that from the story? She was angry but ultimately she was able to put her anger behind her, as well as her resentment of Kal and Jon. The ending is downright joyful, Kara actually gets a happy ending.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Hah you didn’t get that from the story? She was angry but ultimately she was able to put her anger behind her, as well as her resentment of Kal and Jon. The ending is downright joyful, Kara actually gets a happy ending.
    I'm not talking about the story, just our general characterization preferences when it comes to Kara .

I'm not talking about the story, just our general characterization preferences when it comes to Kara .
    Ultimately I like the Sterling Gates/Jamal Igle Kara too just to clarify. But just like how I prefer the headstrong, cocky, angrier Morrison t-shirt and jeans Superman as his “Year One” up to maybe “Year Three” personality, I prefer a Kara that’s way more emotionally volatile at the start. Got no problem with both of them eventually maturing and cooling off with age though (although I do think Kara needs to keep some of her edge to differentiate her from Clark imo).

Ultimately I like the Sterling Gates/Jamal Igle Kara too just to clarify. But just like how I prefer the headstrong, cocky, angrier Morrison t-shirt and jeans Superman as his “Year One” up to maybe “Year Three” personality, I prefer a Kara that’s way more emotionally volatile at the start. Got no problem with both of them eventually maturing and cooling off with age though (although I do think Kara needs to keep some of her edge to differentiate her from Clark imo).
    New 52 Supes has never done it for me like he has for others, but I understand why he has his fans .

Honestly I'm fine with Kara having a bit of a chip on her shoulder and be a little more reckless than Clark, it just shouldn't really define her personality in my opinion.