Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well “realistically” () someone who is 18 or older probably isn’t going to want to be called a “girl” anymore. Kon was barely older than a kid biologically and he wanted to be called Superman not Superboy. There’s plenty of easy justifications for why she would want a switch, from asserting her independence from Kal, to marking a new stage in her life, to simply because she wanted a change.
    I mean, I feel like 18 is still generally viewed as a "girl" even if it's a legal adult age. If she wanted independence from Kal she'd take out the "super" in the name.

I'm not saying you couldn't justify it, I'm just not seeing the point to doing so.

I don't think it would be about making her independent, as much as it is about how girl is condescendent. Conner Kent is already edging out of the name Superboy, Kara should be way past it. She's not a kid. She is a fully grown adult, regardless of her actual age.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't think it would be about making her independent, as much as it is about how girl is condescendent. Conner Kent is already edging out of the name Superboy, Kara should be way past it. She's not a kid. She is a fully grown adult, regardless of her actual age.
    I mean, she's been called a girl for almost the entirety of her Superhero career and all media appearances. It's the title of her TV show. It's her most recognizable name.

I think we're well past a point where it could believably come off as condescending. It's just her name.

How about Karen get superwoman name then?

And yes Conner and Kara are definitely ready for another more adult name now
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    How about Karen get superwoman name then?

And yes Conner and Kara are definitely ready for another more adult name now
    With Conner I can kind of see it because Jon exists (even though with the age-up they're now the same age) but Kara not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, she's been called a girl for almost the entirety of her Superhero career and all media appearances. It's the title of her TV show. It's her most recognizable name.

I think we're well past a point where it could believably come off as condescending. It's just her name.
    The explanation for it in the pilot is still nonsense. But still, the TV show is the only property outside comics where she legitimately feels like an adult. The other properties still portrayed her as a girl. And we've gone long enough in the comics with her for her to finally overcome this.

Extraordinary Member

It could also be a new character as Suoerwoman.

Remember Kristen Wells, Lucy Lane and most recently Lana Lang.

The explanation for it in the pilot is still nonsense. But still, the TV show is the only property outside comics where she legitimately feels like an adult. The other properties still portrayed her as a girl. And we've gone long enough in the comics with her for her to finally overcome this.
    I mean, is there something particularly wrong with being a girl? I don't think it effects her competence or portrayal that much. I just don't see it as something she really needs to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, is there something particularly wrong with being a girl? I don't think it effects her competence or portrayal that much. I just don't see it as something she really needs to overcome.
    Do you ever call 20 something year olds "boys" without sounding condescending? Kara is saving lives and taking responsibility for herself. Regardless of how you feel about AOC, do you think it's cool to call her a girl? She is a political leader with enormous responsibility. Do you think calling female firefighters "girl" is something normal? Girls and Boys aren't what you call people with power and responsibility and respect.

Do you call Nightwing a boy? Do you call Clark Kent when he was starting out in metropolis a boy? Kara has far more experience than Clark ever did at the age she is now, but she is still a "girl"?

On one hand I don't think people mean anything bad by it, but that's actually part of the problem. I'm not saying you are disrespectful or sexist, but it should be changed because it's not a positive thing. When was the last time you called Peter Parker a boy?
    Last edited by Alpha; 02-13-2021 at 01:28 PM.

Do you ever call 20 something year olds "boys" without sounding condescending? Kara is saving lives and taking responsibility for herself. Regardless of how you feel about AOC, do you think it's cool to call her a girl? She is a political leader with enormous responsibility. Do you think calling female firefighters "girl" is something normal? Girls and Boys aren't what you call people with power and responsibility and respect.

Do you call Nightwing a boy? Do you call Clark Kent when he was starting out in metropolis a boy? Kara has far more experience than Clark ever did at the age she is now, but she is still a "girl"?

On one hand I don't think people mean anything bad by it, but that's actually part of the problem. I'm not saying you are disrespectful or sexist, but it should be changed because it's not a positive thing. When was the last time you called Peter Parker a boy?
    I guess where we differ is that I don't see "girl" as condescending as far as Superheros or Kara is concerned. It's just her Superhero name and she owns it.

A new super girl hopefully will be like 12 to 15 years old
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

DC Universe’s New Supergirl Is ‘Young And The Restless’ Actress Sasha Calle; Will Make Debut In Upcoming ‘Flash’ Film: https://deadline.com/2021/02/supergi...dc-1234697190/

Well we better get a new Supergirl ongoing then, Kara deserves it and I’m still salty Aquaman doesn’t have one anymore.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

This is as good a chance as any for her to get her book going again.

Ultimate Member

Her reaction to finding out was so wholesome.