Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Lot of cool fanart shared for Superman’s 83rd (which of course DC didn’t bother to acknowledge)

And a throwback to Gary Frank’s drawing of his debut:
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

My Secret Identity Deluxe Edition finally arrived, and man is it gorgeous. God I would love to have this in an Absolute format, Immonen’s art deserves it. He has my favorite take on the throughly well worn out “ominous red eyed Superman” panel.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

My Secret Identity Deluxe Edition finally arrived, and man is it gorgeous. God I would love to have this in an Absolute format, Immonen’s art deserves it. He has my favorite take on the throughly well worn out “ominous red eyed Superman” panel.

I've read my local library's copy of Secret Identity loads of times, Busiek and Immonen absolutely nailed it with Secret Identity. It's the best take on a 'realistic' Superman that doesn't turn the character into a dictator or mind controlled monster. I hope you enjoy it, it's one of my top 10 favourite Superman stories of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    I've read my local library's copy of Secret Identity loads of times, Busiek and Immonen absolutely nailed it with Secret Identity. It's the best take on a 'realistic' Superman that doesn't turn the character into a dictator or mind controlled monster. I hope you enjoy it, it's one of my top 10 favourite Superman stories of all time.
    Oh I’ve read it before and I love it for similar reasons as you. This Clark Kent feels very realistic in that he starts saving people almost by accident, tries to monetize his powers initially, is bullied and picked on at school. But unlike Earth One this Clark never degenerates into angst or selfishness, when people are in trouble he’s willing to jump in and help, and I think that’s what makes it great. He’s sort of a more optimistic take on the Spider-Man school of heroism where he’s the “hero who could be you”, if any of us ended up with Superman powers this Clark is kind of the best case scenario for our attempts at being a hero.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Lot of cool fanart shared for Superman’s 83rd (which of course DC didn’t bother to acknowledge)
    Does anyone acknowledge a random number like 83? 85 is around the corner though.

Did the math and I'll be 50 when he turns 100. Can't wait!... But I really can lol
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

AWESOME! Glad to know CBR is willing to acknowledge this special occasion in the life of the Man of Steel

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Does anyone acknowledge a random number like 83? 85 is around the corner though.

Did the math and I'll be 50 when he turns 100. Can't wait!... But I really can lol
    Hey I would’ve been fine with just a tweet

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

I'll be 44 in 2038...

Here's hoping there's still a world by then! And that I'm still alive. If there is and I am, then probably 100 years of my Kryptonian Fave will take the sting out of early middle age.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Secret Identity is such a bright book for a “realistic” take and then you get to the spoilers:
    dead baby in the government labs
    end of spoilers and it all gets insanely dark. I never thought of Secret Identity as a “dark” Superman story but it certainly wears the label at points.

Also the part where Clark messes with the government by swapping missiles between two ships in two separate oceans, putting a Superman toy on the desk of the head of the CIA, and replacing the President’s security briefing with Superman comics is one hell of a power move that does more to convey how powerful Superman is, in the context of this realistic setting, than a lot of the feats in the mainline books.

Finished Secret Identity, whole story is still one of the GOAT Superman stories. God this book deserves an Absolute, Immonen’s art is absolutely breathtaking. Every single full page shot/double page spread absolutely blows you away:

Took these from my ComiXology copy since raw photos of the physical versions in my Deluxe don’t do it justice. Immonen doesn’t get enough respect, even from me, as one of the GOAT Superman artists.

God this variant is so goddamn beautiful. F****** New Krypton, Kal’s Kryptonian garb, Morrison and Pak’s New 52 outfits, the beautiful Black Suit + Supermullet combo, the Golden Age outfit, even Lee’s crappy armor manages to look good! And the Electric Blue outfit will always be cool I don’t care what anyone else thinks

I would make this my avatar if I wasn’t inept at photoshop
    Last edited by Vordan; 04-21-2021 at 09:12 AM.

God this variant is so goddamn beautiful. F****** New Krypton, Kal’s Kryptonian garb, Morrison and Pak’s New 52 outfits, the beautiful Black Suit + Supermullet combo, the Golden Age outfit, even Lee’s crappy armor manages to look good! And the Electric Blue outfit will always be cool I don’t care what anyone else thinks

I would make this my avatar if I wasn’t inept at photoshop
    Well, it doesn't look like armor there, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, it doesn't look like armor there, so...
    It’s almost tolerable without the lines.