Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Same, it’s good to see the Man of Tomorrow title get more play. Would be nice to see “Champion of the Oppressed” used more as well but that’s likely too obscure.
    You gotta commit to that one. You can't have Clark stomp down, reset the status quo and then peace while being called "champion of the oppressed." Truthfully, it'd be difficult to make the Golden Age qualities fit with the mainstream perception of him that we've also come to love, but I think there's a perfect marriage of Reeve and Siegel/Shuster out there. It's just never been done.

I'd adore if he earned it, but outside of the Morrison stuff (which works with the lens of an early days Superman without the responsibilities of being the world's champion or a parent megacorporation telling you to stop pissing off Republicans), you're most likely to see Clark as the Man of Tomorrow and Jon take yet another quality of his father's as Champion of the Oppressed.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Incredible Member

I'm not from USA, but there was nothing wrong with the American Way. It was an ASPIRATIONAL (this is the part people don't seem to grasp IMO), unquestionably good ideal... and so is Superman, because he doesn't actually exist except as an idea. This is something that seems to be lost on people obsessed with the understandable modern, more worrying connotations extreme nationalism. Superman fights for all and is for all, undoubtedly, but he's also an American creation. You may as well take away the blue and red from his costume if you think about it.

Again, I'm not from USA and I don't have any patriotic sentiment towards it. But that's just me and my humble opinion. Have a good day y'all. Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Jim Lee unveiled a new mission statement for Superman:

"To better reflect the storylines that we are telling across DC and to honor Superman's incredible legacy of over 80 years of building a better world, Superman's motto is evolving," reads the statement. "Superman has long been a symbol of hope who inspires people, and it is that optimism and hope that powers him forward with this new mission statement: Truth, justice and a better tomorrow."

Source: https://www.gamesradar.com/superman-...-statement-dc/
    I could get used to it.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Anyways, the new motto sounds better than "truth, justice... all that stuff" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    I'm not from USA, but there was nothing wrong with the American Way. It was an ASPIRATIONAL (this is the part people don't seem to grasp IMO), unquestionably good ideal... and so is Superman, because he doesn't actually exist except as an idea. This is something that seems to be lost on people obsessed with the understandable modern, more worrying connotations extreme nationalism. Superman fights for all and is for all, undoubtedly, but he's also an American creation. You may as well take away the blue and red from his costume if you think about it.

Again, I'm not from USA and I don't have any patriotic sentiment towards it. But that's just me and my humble opinion. Have a good day y'all. Peace.
    I have no doubt there's some hand-wringing guilt on our part having become more hyper-aware of the hatred and bigotry that rests between our shores and that Superman shouldn't represent that. "The American way" was always meant to be aspirational, and represent what we could be if we actually followed our laws and creed to the letter for everyone, but it's not the reality we made for ourselves and it feels disingenuous unless you're just going to bullheadedly look at the past with blinders on and say "my country, right or wrong" which some do.
    May we never forget:

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I have no problem with life liberty and pursuit of happiness..I do however hate the concept of a global morality keeper,police force and savior shtick..Having said that i have no problem with "the american way", being championed..The ideals themselves are liberal.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-18-2021 at 01:33 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I have no problem with life liberty and pursuit of happiness..I do however hate the concept of a global mortality keeper,police force and savior shtick..Having said that i have no problem with "the american way", being championed..The ideals themselves are liberal.
    Sure, but the concept of "America's ways" have implications and enter discussions Superman shouldn't really be allied with. Changing to a broader, more optimistic message fits him better as a character.

I can't wait to clock into work tomorrow and do my morning round of the news while I drink my tea and see every conservative outlet complaining that he hates America now. Bruh.

I will do a count of how many reporters cannot tell the difference between the American and Colombian Flag, by the way.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post

Honestly “The American Way” had been retired from Superman’s motto unofficially for years. When was the last time we ever saw it used sincerely? I remember reading Salvation Run (story back in the 2000s where all the villains get dumped on a prison planet) and Lex says Superman hasn’t used that motto in ages so he’ll borrow it. In adaptions it’s either the original motto “Truth And Justice” or they poke fun at it because the kind of unambiguous patriotism that phrase evokes simply isn’t popular in post Cold War America. Or the world in general.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

"People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Man, these Tedesco variant covers are fire. I'm generally not a "gotta have the variant" type of guy, but I did have to pick up AC #1035, the one with Supes and Lois.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

I will do a count of how many reporters cannot tell the difference between the American and Colombian Flag, by the way.
    I am a prophet. They still can't. TIL there's yellow on the flag of the United States of America and white in Superman's costume.
    May we never forget:

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/