Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Jesus I got to the part in It’s Superman where Clark has left Smallville and is traveling across America and sees spoilers:
    a lynching
    end of spoilers this book gets dark as hell. DeHaven does a great job of showcasing Clark’s temper and how he struggles with it. Loved it when he lost it and just started causing peoples cars to explode with his heat vision because he was so furious.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Jesus I got to the part in It’s Superman where Clark has left Smallville and is traveling across America and sees spoilers:
    a lynching
    end of spoilers this book gets dark as hell. DeHaven does a great job of showcasing Clark’s temper and how he struggles with it. Loved it when he lost it and just started causing peoples cars to explode with his heat vision because he was so furious.
    Honestly It’s Superman has been one of my favorite takes on Clark growing up to become Superman, especially in creating a nuanced character from start to finish. I think it’s one of those takes on Superman that naturally feels like one of my favorite origins and should have some basis in creating Superman for any movie or tv show and understanding Clark as a character (as well as Birthright, Earth One, American Alien, Superman vs the Klan, Grant Morrison New 52 run/All Star Superman and a few others).

It’s just that good to me.

Lmao the first Clark/Lois interaction in It’s Superman did not disappoint

2A11D693-28FE-4CD2-AFCC-A8D2910AA898.jpg
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

L
    Least the big lizard won his fight

You know one thing that I’d really like to see in canon from It’s Superman is Jimmy Olsen being the one to help teach Clark the ins and outs of Metropolis. Where the best stores, restaurants, shows, museums are, where the city culture is, where the excitement happens, etc. I have no idea if “Willi” is going to become Jimmy or even if he’s going to survive the story (don’t tell me if you know I’m almost at the end!) but it’s really entertaining seeing Clark learn from him. I think it would be a good way to show what Jimmy brings to the friendship when they first meet and why Clark needs him.

Also holy **** Lex is an absolute psycho. This book does a great job of showing the whole “do you know how much power I’d have to give up to be President?” aspect of Lex. He’s just such a delightful mix of the Pre-Crisis super scientist sociopath and the Post-Crisis ruthless businessman/Kingpin expy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

Nicely shopped. Funnily enough the Absolute Dark Knight I ordered finally arrived for me today lol.

Finished It’s Superman. What a fantastic book. As a Superman work it’s great, DeHaven is one of the best writers of Clark, Lois, and Lex. It’s also fantastic as a period piece about the Great Depression and the lead up to WWII. It feels downright literary at points.

Ending thoughts:
    spoilers:
    After using a Pre-Crisis/Post-Crisis merge of Lex, Lex firmly ends up more like his Pre-Crisis self in the end, losing his reputation, his wealth, and his social connections, but he’s downright excited by now knowing what he wants from life. He wants to be the greatest criminal ever. I don’t really know how I feel about Lex of all people making Superman’s final suit for him, it’s definitely something that gives the work a Pre-Crisis feel, and I’m unsure how to interpret the gesture. Lex is a complete sociopath and I love how utterly insane yet also believable his schemes with the robots are. This was written in 2005 and set in 1938 but Jesus does it feel relevant given the surveillance stage we live under and the actions of mega corps like Amazon and Microsoft.

Pa finally dies in the end as well, just after Clark has basically revealed himself. This is basically the perfect take on when the Kents should die imo, after his debut, but before he’s fully embraced the role. I love that he goes back to Pa in the end and asks to move back in, because he’s scared and unsure of whether he made the right choice and Pa firmly tells him no. Clark’s Smallville life is over and he has to face whatever comes on his own. It’s much more effective than the constant flights back for pies and pep talks that we see done usually.

I really liked how competitive Lois is with Clark, how she flips out and accuses him of stealing her story, how she teases him for his “aw shucks” attitude. She’s funny and feisty, and can be an ass even as she struggles with her growing feelings for Clark. I’d have loved a sequel that followed up to this with Clark & Lois dating.

Willi didn’t become Jimmy even as he was clearly the Jimmy stand in. Still like him as Clark’s city friend and I like his photographer “origin” really wouldn’t mind poaching both attributes for mainline Jimmy Olsen.
    end of spoilers

So yeah fantastic read all around, definitely recommend any Superman fan go check it out.

This is amazing, haha!

I have a copy of that book. I had been reading it to my fiancee as a bedtime story, but we've dropped off the habit of reading it. I should definitely get back into it; I haven't read it since I was a kid!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Always found it interesting the times Superman and Spectre interact given their both Siegal creations.

Astonishing Member

Happy 83rd to Superman/Clark Kent!!!

Always found it interesting the times Superman and Spectre interact given their both Siegal creations.

Did Siegel ever write an interaction between the two (is that what you just posted lol)?

Did Siegel ever write an interaction between the two (is that what you just posted lol)?
    Not that I'm aware of, though Golden Age Superman and Spectre are blank spots for me so maybe somewhere.

This is from DC Comics Presents by Len Wein and Starlin (Mongul's first appearance btw).

Happy 83rd Clark!

Not that I'm aware of, though Golden Age Superman and Spectre are blank spots for me so maybe somewhere.

This is from DC Comics Presents by Len Wein and Starlin (Mongul's first appearance btw).
    Ah yes I forgot Spectre played a role there.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Alright, between you, Bored and that excerpt, you've made a sale. Going to snag a copy as soon as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Alright, between you, Bored and that excerpt, you've made a sale. Going to snag a copy as soon as I can.
    If you found New 52 Superman too abrasive I think you’ll like this take on Golden Age Superman more. He’s political, as the excerpt shows DeHaven doesn’t bother obscuring what Clark & the Kents believe, but Clark is very sweet and empathetic while still showing some fire every so often. It’s a book that will make you laugh and tug your heart strings. Fair warning: he doesn’t really “become” Superman until near the end of the book (although there are plenty of instances where he uses his powers, and the book explores some consequences of when he does so. So if you’re expecting lots of superhero action this won’t scratch that itch. But it’s an engrossing exploration of what Superman showing up in the 1930s would be like, that paints a picture of what life in Great Depression Era America actually was like, mainly through the eyes of Clark, Lois, Lex, and not!Jimmy Olsen Willi.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

This wasn't written by siegel.This is from dc comics presents.Clark flew past infinity in that if i rember and ran into spectre,something like that.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"