Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The cape is probably the least Clark could have taken from Bruce, so I think I can forgive it in this instance.
    Clark shouldn't borrow anything from Bruce. Bruce was created to cash in on Clark's success. Batman is a cash grab response to Superman. This is just some bullshit revisionist history to try and say Batman's cooler and came first. It had no place in this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, I guess WW fans really deserve another round of Wonder Simp in her anniversary month for Bloodlines underperforming.
    DC needs to stop pushing the Wonder Woman/Cheetah rivalry when Sales have always been her most deadly foe.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

That bit came from American Alien, which despite Landis’s toxicity seems to be getting stripmined for ideas. MAWS is clearly influenced by that story between Lois being Asian, Jimmy being black, and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if some of the Rogues took their cues from how they were characterized in that story. I feel conflicted because on one hand, that story has got one of the best characterizations of “Clark is the real guy while Superman is the mask”, but on the other hand it feels scummy to build so heavily off of that work.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Clark's not really based on Zorro the way Bruce directly is. Clark's basically just a bunch of strongman archetypes rolled into Moses. He's closer to Doc Savage than Zorro.

I love Zorro. I know you do too, but Clark's not cut from that particular cloth in any specific way. There are classic interpretations of Hercules, Samson, etc who also wear capes. The Zorro thing is infinitely closer tied to Bruce and Clark doesn't need to copy it.
    None of the strongmen of the era(unless you go back to the stories of the old) or scifi guys had anything to do with chivalry and clark is based on zorro directly.The cape,the personality (which bruce doesn't have btw.A smile is a virtue),The secret id,the attitude,the motto/mission statement...etc.Zorro is the prototype hero that inspired many characters.Heck!phantom is based on strongmen..But,he never had the resemblance to zorro that superman does.He feels more tarzan..Superman has that too but not to the extent...

that ac#1 from Morrison doesn't scream zorro then i don't what will.Zorro was not batman.. People just assume that.If you mean,in comics then batman's first origin didn't have shout out to zorro.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-01-2021 at 10:16 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That bit came from American Alien, which despite Landis’s toxicity seems to be getting stripmined for ideas. MAWS is clearly influenced by that story between Lois being Asian, Jimmy being black, and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if some of the Rogues took their cues from how they were characterized in that story. I feel conflicted because on one hand, that story has got one of the best characterizations of “Clark is the real guy while Superman is the mask”, but on the other hand it feels scummy to build so heavily off of that work.
    I do appreciate the irony on how it got strip mined hard across media adaptions and Landis can't see a dime for it. Scumbagging the scumbags. Kind of hilarious.
    May we never forget:

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I am so enthralled by dc's love and protection of the batman.In American alien,superman slams batman into the wall and tears of the cape.People think dc is a shared universe.It's not.batman is the main protagonist of dc story..They mustn't have anything that makes the protagonist look pathetic.

I hate that this guy in black is called zorro's successor just cause he wears black.Yuck!the silverage batman and goldenage batman might have been close.But,batman in general is no zorro. His war on crime clearly made him different.Supes was'nt fighting crime.He was the outlaw running from police..The whole thing sucks Now superman is inspired by batman.I would take superman being inspired by zorro any day of the week.at least that justice society animated movie had goldenage superman with mustache.Even then it's all about the kents being alive nonsense..yuck!I hate the kents and els with a passion because it's all about them.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-01-2021 at 11:15 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I do appreciate the irony on how it got strip mined hard across media adaptions and Landis can't see a dime for it. Scumbagging the scumbags. Kind of hilarious.
    It is an amusing twist. I see a ton of love for this explanation for the Clark Kent “disguise”:

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    ………..
    This is great!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

It is an amusing twist. I see a ton of love for this explanation for the Clark Kent “disguise”:

This is great!
    I've done my own write up on the glasses thing in 2021 and I don't think there's any other way to do it than having him take refuge in audacity and hide in plain sight. There's just no other way.
    May we never forget:

I've done my own write up on the glasses thing in 2021 and I don't think there's any other way to do it than having him take refuge in audacity and hide in plain sight. There's just no other way.
    I don’t see how anyone in a major city would have trouble buying his secret identity. I’ve lived in big cities and nobody there will even look at you unless they absolutely have to, I have no trouble buying Clark can hide in plain sight. People just think they’re a lot smarter than they are, “oh that would never work on me” lol. Cavill walking around Time Square with no one batting an eye proves that.

MAWS? From context I think you mean Man of Tomorrow, so I'm confused by this acronym.
    Actually even in context that's not man of tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    MAWS? From context I think you mean Man of Tomorrow, so I'm confused by this acronym.
    Actually even in context that's not man of tomorrow...
    My Adventures With Superman

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Speaking of disguises, I'd be happy to see Chaz come back
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Interesting read on Superman through a Jewish perspective: https://www.comicsxf.com/2021/08/02/...greatest-hero/

I don’t see how anyone in a major city would have trouble buying his secret identity. I’ve lived in big cities and nobody there will even look at you unless they absolutely have to, I have no trouble buying Clark can hide in plain sight. People just think they’re a lot smarter than they are, “oh that would never work on me” lol. Cavill walking around Time Square with no one batting an eye proves that.
    To be fair, he's a public figure of some repute (and most publications have a picture of the writer on their work) who works at Superman's preferred newspaper so it's a little different.

Even so, I think a lot of people greatly overvalue their own perception.
    May we never forget: