Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Cute pic but it does make me think about something. Is it just me or is pop culture at large obsessed with parental figures? I swear it’s like every show/movie these days are about dads in some form or another.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Cute pic but it does make me think about something. Is it just me or is pop culture at large obsessed with parental figures? I swear it’s like every show/movie these days are about dads in some form or another.
    No I've definitely noticed it too, though granted Star Wars has been nothing but daddy issues since the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    No I've definitely noticed it too, though granted Star Wars has been nothing but daddy issues since the 80s.
    Yeah with Star Wars it’s built in, but I can’t help noticing how obsessed pop culture is with father figures at the moment. Supes and Bats both being dads while Wonder Woman is still single and has no kids feels like something someone should analyze.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Yeah with Star Wars it’s built in, but I can’t help noticing how obsessed pop culture is with father figures at the moment. Supes and Bats both being dads while Wonder Woman is still single and has no kids feels like something someone should analyze.
    Well in just Supes and Bats' cases, like with Star Wars, some of it is built into the franchise. Damien's just making what was obvious subtext with Dick and making it explicit, and Superman is seen by the general pop culture as an authoritative figure and Donner films also have the theme of fathers/sons.

That or everyone just read a lot of Lone Wolf and Cub in the last few years.

(I'm also certain some soulless DC exec probably has a "Wonder kid" pitch filed away somewhere for Damien and Jon to fight over )

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Mandalorian is more batman than superman..i figure..clark doesn't where masks..Also, would probably be more of hat guy..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Wonder Woman will never be allowed to be a mother while Bats can adopt his hundredth ward and Supes can settle into being the world's greatest dad after a few bumps along the way.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I've gained an appreciation of Byrne's Krypton because of how different and alien it is to Earth, and it provides a warning about the danger of overly dependent on technology, and of human pride and entitlement. I still don't like it but I appreciate the contrast

BANNED

Byrne krypton is a mixed bag

Aesthetic and society wise...it is so alien

But it also is so hostile that it personifies the post-crisis ethos I dislike the most

Superman being a human with extra steps

I always felt that Superman should be an alien first, a human second

He is a godlike alien who pretends to be human to fit in with humanity, because his connecting with humanity has helped him cope with the immeasurable loss of krypton that he remembers vividly due to his kryptonian super-intellect

If I had absolute control over the franchise...this aspect will be emphasized the most about Superman with his actual arrival on earth happening at the age of five.

Ivan Reis

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Byrne krypton is a mixed bag

Aesthetic and society wise...it is so alien

But it also is so hostile that it personifies the post-crisis ethos I dislike the most

Superman being a human with extra steps

I always felt that Superman should be an alien first, a human second

He is a godlike alien who pretends to be human to fit in with humanity, because his connecting with humanity has helped him cope with the immeasurable loss of krypton that he remembers vividly due to his kryptonian super-intellect

If I had absolute control over the franchise...this aspect will be emphasized the most about Superman with his actual arrival on earth happening at the age of five.
    I like that idea. Brings back the Pre-Crisis alienation without things like Superbaby.