Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Lex’s hands no longer shaking when spoilers:
    he kills his first people
    end of spoilers was an awesome little touch. He’s so wonderfully psychotic.

Lois is rather manipulative, but I’m glad that meeting with her professor ended with her using her mouth to get what she wanted and not... the other way it was being set up to go.

It’s interesting how DeHaven has Clark lose interest in the scifi pulps after he learns about his origins. Uncomfortable for him given his heritage? A sign of him growing up? I also like how he starts his career in journalism because he lost interest in fiction but still wants to write, and builds up a rep doing small puff pieces for the local Smallville paper. Also laughed at him feeling a bit too big for his britches and being discontent with life in Smallville.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Least the big lizard won his fight
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    ....Least the big lizard won his fight
    Touché
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000515802359

Interesting conversation with Mark Waid about Superman Birthright. Mentions at the end that he and DC are having conversations and Waid thinks he’s got “one more Superman story” left in him. Feels confident things will work out. Guess a deal still hasn’t been signed though. Waid apparently got offered the Superman main book three times only to have it yanked away at the last minute. Not sure how that would’ve gone though since he again mentions that he’s not a fan of the Kents being alive or the marriage, so hopefully if he only gets to do one more story it’s set outside the mainline where he’s not weighed down by all of that being present in with the E0 take.

Lol just after I wrote all that he was asked if he had any interest in doing a “Year 2” set in the Birthright universe, and he said yes and to ask him that question again in 6 months. Hope it happens! God I’d love to see Yu drawing Superman again.
    Last edited by Vordan; 04-12-2021 at 11:34 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Interesting conversation with Mark Waid about Superman Birthright. Mentions at the end that he and DC are having conversations and Waid thinks he’s got “one more Superman story” left in him. Feels confident things will work out. Guess a deal still hasn’t been signed though. Waid apparently got offered the Superman main book three times only to have it yanked away at the last minute. Not sure how that would’ve gone though since he again mentions that he’s not a fan of the Kents being alive or the marriage, so hopefully if he only gets to do one more story it’s set outside the mainline where he’s not weighed down by all of that being present in with the E0 take.

Lol just after I wrote all that he was asked if he had any interest in doing a “Year 2” set in the Birthright universe, and he said yes and to ask him that question again in 6 months. Hope it happens! God I’d love to see Yu drawing Superman again.
    Please let Birthright Year 2 be a thing. Nothing would make me happier.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeJP View Post
    Please let Birthright Year 2 be a thing. Nothing would make me happier.
    I want a “Long Halloween”/“Hush” story from Waid. Have it so that all the villains have debuted already and jump right into a tour of Superman and his world at its “peak”. Also make someone other than Lex the main bad guy please. But since Waid has told his take on the “origin” and the “ending” I’d love to see stuff set in what Waid considers the “prime” years.

I want a “Long Halloween”/“Hush” story from Waid. Have it so that all the villains have debuted already and jump right into a tour of Superman and his world at its “peak”. Also make someone other than Lex the main bad guy please. But since Waid has told his take on the “origin” and the “ending” I’d love to see stuff set in what Waid considers the “prime” years.
    That would be great. I'd like to see Waid's take on the main Rogues. And I don't think Lex would need to be a focus, he did a pretty good job with him in Birthright.

I was one of those that didn't appreciate Birthright when it first came out, but it is easily my favorite origin story. If he got a "Year 2" right that established Superman's world and Rogue's Gallery... I think there's a case to be made that Birthright should be reinstated (along with Year 2) as canon.

Hmm...Batman had a Year Two. Johns was planning a Year Two for Secret Origin, I guess the Godwatch arc was the Year Two to Rucka's Year One.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeJP View Post
    That would be great. I'd like to see Waid's take on the main Rogues. And I don't think Lex would need to be a focus, he did a pretty good job with him in Birthright.

I was one of those that didn't appreciate Birthright when it first came out, but it is easily my favorite origin story. If he got a "Year 2" right that established Superman's world and Rogue's Gallery... I think there's a case to be made that Birthright should be reinstated (along with Year 2) as canon.
    Given the troubles with Johns I wouldn’t mind if they reinstated Birthright as the canon origin. I don’t think it contradicts anything about the current setup, unlike the Legion continuity problems with Secret Origin. I’d just as happily have the Birthrightverse be Waid’s own little Superman sandbox to play in if it meant we got more stories set there though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hmm...Batman had a Year Two. Johns was planning a Year Two for Secret Origin, I guess the Godwatch arc was the Year Two to Rucka's Year One.
    Did he? I’m curious what that would’ve been. Another casualty of him dropping off the Superbooks along with Busiek I guess. But yeah typically we get an origin and then we jump to Clark & Lois being married, I’d like more stories set inbetween the origin and Clark revealing himself to Lois/getting married.

Given the troubles with Johns I wouldn’t mind if they reinstated Birthright as the canon origin. I don’t think it contradicts anything about the current setup, unlike the Legion continuity problems with Secret Origin. I’d just as happily have the Birthrightverse be Waid’s own little Superman sandbox to play in if it meant we got more stories set there though.
    I liked Birthright but I also liked Secret Origin.
    Did he? I’m curious what that would’ve been. Another casualty of him dropping off the Superbooks along with Busiek I guess. But yeah typically we get an origin and then we jump to Clark & Lois being married, I’d like more stories set inbetween the origin and Clark revealing himself to Lois/getting married.
    I probably should've specified that it was a follow up to GL: Secret Origin showing Sinestro's fall from grace. I'm not sure if the same was planned for Superman.

God I’d love to see Yu drawing Superman again.
    Agreed. Yu's style is very unique

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-13-2021 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. Yu's style is very unique

He and Gene Ha draw my favorite scifi “aesthetic” for Superman:

We have now reached the point where even the mainstream is starting to realize how overplayed Evil Superman is lmao: https://ew.com/tv/tv-reviews/evil-su....co/1uVv9Axsc4

That’s a very cool illustration I must admit. Also laughing at all the seething Snyderfans who are in the comments.

We have now reached the point where even the mainstream is starting to realize how overplayed Evil Superman is lmao: https://ew.com/tv/tv-reviews/evil-su....co/1uVv9Axsc4

That’s a very cool illustration I must admit. Also laughing at all the seething Snyderfans who are in the comments.
    Just missing the Plutonian .

Although isn't the Jupiter's Legacy guy a good guy? Although I've never read the comic.

That's Injustice fighting Cyborg-Superman, right? Or is that the one fighting Prime? White is Justice Lord?

I see Deegan Supes but what's the other black Supes supposed to be?

In a strange way, Evil Superman is now the conventional Superman. Or anyhow, the counter-archetype is just as prominent as the original — maybe even more prominent, depending on how much you value the ever-ongoing comic multiverse.
    And it's notable how often these Evil Supermen are deployed for lazy zero-sum plot motivation, when they're not just an excuse for fetishized mega-gore.
    This is a problem, because — permit me — Superman's greatest power is imagination. He can go anywhere, do anything, invent new impossibilities to accomplish. His iconography is rooted in survivor's sorrow. But the best stories embrace that melancholy as part of a vast psycho-cosmic landscape. No live-action incarnation of the character has come close to the unfathomable wonder of All-Star Superman, the mid-2000s series by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely, which builds a poignant myth of super-mortality out of gorgeously unrestrained sandbox-without-end adventures. The arrival of an Evil Superman is meant to connote adulthood and maturity — the kind of stuff you could never ever get away with in kid stuff. Mature content isn't the same as maturity, though, and it's notable how often an Evil Superman is also a character without a supporting cast, a proper job, or even any motivation beyond pure lizard-brain violence. (Invincible is the exception, for now.)
    I don’t know whether to feel joy at others feeling the same as I outside hardcore Superman fandom arenas or despair that it’s gotten so bad even the mainstream is starting to take notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Just missing the Plutonian .

Although isn't the Jupiter's Legacy guy a good guy? Although I've never read the comic.

That's Injustice fighting Cyborg-Superman, right? Or is that the one fighting Prime? White is Justice Lord?

I see Deegan Supes but what's the other black Supes supposed to be?
    I think it’s two Injustice Supermen fighting each one. White one is Lord Superman, he’s drawn in a Timm-esque design if you look closely.

I don’t know whether to feel joy at others feeling the same as I outside hardcore Superman fandom arenas or despair that it’s gotten so bad even the mainstream is starting to take notice.
    I guess it goes to show even casuals realize how important Clark Kent, his humanity, and the people in his life are to the mythos.
    I think it’s two Injustice Supermen fighting each one. White one is Lord Superman, he’s drawn in a Timm-esque design if you look closely.
    Yeah, I think Prime is fighting IJ1 Superman while Henshaw is fighting IJ2.

IJ2 had that weird neck collar thing.