Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    There is a slightly more detailed article over at a site with a name that rhymes with "Ewsarama", on "One Star Squadron". Power Girl does get a few mentions here, rather more than the others as she's probably the best known name on the team. And those mentions....er....sorry, but they basically just repeat that poor Power Girl has had quite a comedown. Don't know the policy on linking to that site, but you all know what it is anyway. Might be worth a read.
    It mentions that she's part of Infinite Incorporated -- which I guess is a new take on Infinity, Inc.? I didn't read the details of One Star Squadron's concept, but it seems to be more of a humorous take on super heroes.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

There is a slightly more detailed article over at a site with a name that rhymes with "Ewsarama", on "One Star Squadron". Power Girl does get a few mentions here, rather more than the others as she's probably the best known name on the team. And those mentions....er....sorry, but they basically just repeat that poor Power Girl has had quite a comedown. Don't know the policy on linking to that site, but you all know what it is anyway. Might be worth a read.
    Russell admitted in an interview he's using her more for her personality and he's not really playing too partial to continuity. He knows she's normally better at business.

It's probably easier to see this as an Elseworlds. In his mind, the book's not continuity. It's also a Red Tornado book more than anything.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Russell admitted in an interview he's using her more for her personality and he's not really playing too partial to continuity. He knows she's normally better at business.

It's probably easier to see this as an Elseworlds. In his mind, the book's not continuity. It's also a Red Tornado book more than anything.
    But who's the "one star"? Tornado or Power Girl?

And I might point out that PG's been used mostly in the last twenty years or so as a comedy character. More, actually, though she has had a few darker dramatic storylines.

But who's the "one star"? Tornado or Power Girl?

And I might point out that PG's been used mostly in the last twenty years or so as a comedy character. More, actually, though she has had a few darker dramatic storylines.
    It's just a joke on "All-Star Squadron." You're overthinking it.

Moreover, this is Mark Russell. He's never not doing comedy. Even his Red Sonja, which was generally the most serious book by him I've read, had plenty of humor. That's just who he is and what DC is asking for when hiring him. I don't think this is the book for you, dude.

Lastly, I'd argue that she's been used seriously as much as not in the last two decades. Jimmy and Amanda use her for humor often but not exclusively and you're forgetting JSA, Justice Society of America, JSA v Kobra, Blackest Night JSA and JSA All-Stars, minis and series where are was a major character and played pretty seriously.

Even the New 52 stuff, trash that it was, was about 50/50.
    Last edited by Robanker; 11-30-2021 at 05:40 PM.
    May we never forget:

Extraordinary Member

It's just a joke on "All-Star Squadron." You're overthinking it.

Moreover, this is Mark Russell. He's never not doing comedy. Even his Red Sonja, which was generally the most serious book by him I've read, had plenty of humor. That's just who he is and what DC is asking for when hiring him. I don't think this is the book for you, dude.

Lastly, I'd argue that she's been used seriously as much as not in the last two decades. Jimmy and Amanda use her for humor often but not exclusively and you're forgetting JSA, Justice Society of America, JSA v Kobra, Blackest Night JSA and JSA All-Stars, minis and series where are was a major character and played pretty seriously.

Even the New 52 stuff, trash that it was, was about 50/50.
    Don't be too sure, I like Power Girl in comedy, just not only in comedy. She was always quite good in things like JLE/JLA/JLI as a comedy character. But she also needs her own version of say DKR or New Frontier as well---a dramatic classic or two.

I was aware of All Star Squadron of course, but I thought it also might have a double meaning.
    Last edited by achilles; 12-01-2021 at 03:03 AM.

Don't be too sure, I like Power Girl in comedy, just not only in comedy. She was always quite good in things like JLE/JLA/JLI as a comedy character. But she also needs her own version of say DKR or New Frontier as well---a dramatic classic or two.

I was aware of All Star Squadron of course, but I thought it also might have a double meaning.
    Editorial cooked up the name. He wanted to use the name of the team, Heroes4U, but they wanted something else so they came up with One Star Squadron as a callback while also being a joke, comparing it to their Yelp reviews.

It's a joke.
    May we never forget:

Incredible Member

I was dubious about this whole project.
    But I thought there was a thread the needle way it could work.
    Power Girl does have a very dry wit after all.
    But my fear would be there would be too much clowning, ridiculous middle school humor.
    That Power Girl would be held captive in something like the substitute legion.
    Recent reports have made me fearful this is going to be a disaster.

https://twitter.com/steve_lieber/sta...48326231863297

Lieber's at least drawing Karen like she knows what she's doing. Looks great.
    May we never forget:

Business suit Karen. Me like!!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Power suit, awesome! Nothing says TCB like a good power suit.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Yeah, and I appreciate that Stinky has reached his final form as a chonkster.
    May we never forget:

Extraordinary Member

https://twitter.com/steve_lieber/sta...48326231863297

Lieber's at least drawing Karen like she knows what she's doing. Looks great.
    But if she's dressing like that, why would she need money? Nice pic BTW, love the cat bit.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, and I appreciate that Stinky has reached his final form as a chonkster.
    Okay, he's got to have just one name. There were two used in the comics. Stinky in her own title, and Theodore, (after Ted Kord, which Booster finds hilarious when he's hiding while the cat is attacking poor Ted). I personally like Theodore because of the joke. But this sounds like a poll question to me...

Speaking of which, the cat seems to be DC's version of Squirrel Girl, able to defeat the bad guys, no matter how powerful, off panel. The good guys too, for that matter. Thanos would have lasted five minutes with that cat...
    Last edited by achilles; 12-03-2021 at 06:43 AM.

When/how did Karen become a CEO anyway?

Spoilers for One-Star Squadron.

spoilers:
    She's either working for Maxwell Lord, mind controlled by him, or just plain drank the corporate Kool-Aid but she's set up as a villain.

Her argument is that Max's book changed her life and that on Earth, the only real power is money so if you want to change ****, have the most money. She's being set up to betray Red Tornado, but admittedly that could just be a last-page cliffhanger that's undone.

God fucking dammit.

All that wait for this.

end of spoilers

I like Mark Russell's work, but I ain't happy.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-07-2021 at 09:46 PM.
    May we never forget: