Page 46 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    But admit than visually, Star steals a lot from Power Girl: the white suit, the short hair, the red cape. I think they made her arms bare, because bare legs would be too much evident.
    Yes, after looking over a few artistic interpretations of Star, I can definitely see the similarities. I'm actually surprised that Marvel didn't change her appearance a bit more -- maybe strawberry or chestnut blonde hair -- but I'm even more surprised that DC didn't raise a stink about Star looking too much like PG.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Yes, after looking over a few artistic interpretations of Star, I can definitely see the similarities. I'm actually surprised that Marvel didn't change her appearance a bit more -- maybe strawberry or chestnut blonde hair -- but I'm even more surprised that DC didn't raise a stink about Star looking too much like PG.
    To raise a stink about it, they first had to care about the character enough to bother. Which they don't.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    To raise a stink about it, they first had to care about the character enough to bother. Which they don't.
    Oh, I don't know about that. My experience is that all companies care about their IP. But given that Marvel and DC have been doing this bizarre "homage" ritual dance for almost a half century, it's possible that DC did ask Marvel to change some aspect of Star that is not immediately noticeable to us. Or maybe they're sitting back and waiting to see if Star becomes a big deal before saying something? Who knows.

In any event, guess I better head over to the Star appreciation thread, if there is one, and post a sketch there. Maybe modify her costume slightly to look a bit more like Power Girl's...just for the heck of it.

And don't forget the name: Star, like in "Karen Starr".
    Too many coincidences.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

And don't forget the name: Star, like in "Karen Starr".
    Too many coincidences.
    I would kind of like Karen to buy Star Labs; partly for the similar names, but mostly because it would be a good source of stories of the sci fi sort I think she'd be really suited for. And if Marvel and DC could ever get to it, I'd love to see Karen meet Carol. She's not the only one I'd love her to meet, (Hulk for reasons dating back to the DC messages boards, Captain America because I think she'd like him and work well with him, Daredevil because she needs to meet some street types, Punisher because I think she'd very much not like him...and that could prove interesting, and Thor because...ya gotta.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Well, what about Star? She seems a shameless copy IMHO:

It's Marvel's Power Girl. I dunno if she'll catch on, but we'll see.

But yeah, these companies rip each other off all the time. If anything, it proves that they think PG has enough merit to steal her.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It's Marvel's Power Girl. I dunno if she'll catch on, but we'll see.

But yeah, these companies rip each other off all the time. If anything, it proves that they think PG has enough merit to steal her.
    What is her origin story, and what are her powers, if I may ask. I don't follow Marvel like I used to a few years back, so I've never heard of her.

What is her origin story, and what are her powers, if I may ask. I don't follow Marvel like I used to a few years back, so I've never heard of her.
    I will hug him and love him and call him George: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Ripley_Ryan_(Earth-616)

:P

So it sounds like Powergirl just got herself in a new comedy miniseries by Mark Russell called One-Star Squadron

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/09/15/dc...ar-squadron-1/

"It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Reality warper. Power source is one of the Infinity Stones now - originally she actually siphoned off Carol's powers.

Carol's always had things in common with Kara. She even shares Supergirl's human surname, Danvers. Carol also had her Kree name revealed to be Car-Ell, which of course sounds pretty similar to Kara Zor-El.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Reality warper. Power source is one of the Infinity Stones now - originally she actually siphoned off Carol's powers.

Carol's always had things in common with Kara. She even shares Supergirl's human surname, Danvers. Carol also had her Kree name revealed to be Car-Ell, which of course sounds pretty similar to Kara Zor-El.
    Car-Ell is very on the face. In teh movie at least they were a little more originals with calling her Dan-Vers. (or just Vers, I'm not sure.)
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    So it sounds like Powergirl just got herself in a new comedy miniseries by Mark Russell called One-Star Squadron

Yep, indeed seems to PG is now comedy material.

Yep, indeed seems to PG is now comedy material.

She was since the JL International book
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Russel and Lieber? Damn guess I’m checking this out. Not really a Karen fan so I don’t know how those of you who are will enjoy Russel, he can be very flexible about characterization. Sometimes it works great like in Wonder Twins and sometimes I hate it like in his F4: Life Story.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Certainly sounds like a funny and interesting concept, def gonna check this out. More Lieber, please!

Love that tag line
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog