Page 48 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, I don't want all her outings to be comedic. I think she's a character that works best with a good balance of humor and drama.
    I'm kinda thinking (hoping?) she'll play the "straight man" in One-Star Squadron, similar to her role in the early JLI/E era. Giffen & DeMatteis managed to make her one of the few serious characters surrounded by a bunch of jokers, and it worked quite well I always thought.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I'm kinda thinking (hoping?) she'll play the "straight man" in One-Star Squadron, similar to her role in the early JLI/E era. Giffen & DeMatteis managed to make her one of the few serious characters surrounded by a bunch of jokers, and it worked quite well I always thought.
    Yeah, I think that's a good position for her as well.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    This sounds suspiciously like "I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League". And since when does PG a working stiff? She was probably along the lines of a billionaire last time we checked in on her in her own series over a decade ago. September 21st, eh? Well, I shall check it out. The Heckler? Interesting choice, wonder how he'll interact with PG?
    September 21st is this coming Tuesday.

The first issue of One-Star Squadron is listed for "12/7/21" which would be "December 7th, 2021" the way dates are written here in the U.S.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

The first issue of One-Star Squadron is listed for "12/7/21" which would be "December 7th, 2021" the way dates are written here in the U.S.

Okay, then whenever it's in.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

This is why I like writing dates like: 07Dec2021 Even if you don't know or like this date format you WILL understand it.

Extraordinary Member

She's been out of the universe for a long time, if not retconned out entirely. There's a good chance she's just broke again.
    I can buy that...but WHY would she join the latest equivilent to the Superbuddies when she could do what every Kryptonian does, squeeze coal into diamonds, sell Kryptonian tech or her knowledge of it, hack Bruce Wayne or whoever is rich that week, or simply dive for "rare earths", as she did in nu52? And while I like the idea of her working with The Heckler, I can't imagine why she would.

I can buy that...but WHY would she join the latest equivilent to the Superbuddies when she could do what every Kryptonian does, squeeze coal into diamonds, sell Kryptonian tech or her knowledge of it, hack Bruce Wayne or whoever is rich that week, or simply dive for "rare earths", as she did in nu52? And while I like the idea of her working with The Heckler, I can't imagine why she would.
    Karsta Wor-Ul acquired a small fortune by diving shipwrecks that had valuables in them. So there's that idea too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Karsta Wor-Ul acquired a small fortune by diving shipwrecks that had valuables in them. So there's that idea too.
    Yeah, there's plenty of ways for Kryptonians to get rich. Clark, I get. He can, but his human upbringing doesn't allow it. Supergirl already has done, as has PG and as mentioned above, other Kryptonians.

Incredible Member

Making random diamonds is unethical. It can destabilize the economy of that commodity and screw over the people mining them. I'm sure it's easy to say "so? People who deal in diamonds make a ton. F the rich" but it will hurt the people at the bottom more, the miners and hourly + commission mall employees more than the people up top.

There's no great way to have a superhero earn money with their powers, and on a meta level, having her do it in one page while being a stacked, beautiful white woman named Karen with a bob cut who jumped herself from poverty to millions isn't going to endear her to a lot of readers. I think reading the metaphorical room takes that option off the table.
    May we never forget:

Extraordinary Member

Making random diamonds is unethical. It can destabilize the economy of that commodity and screw over the people mining them. I'm sure it's easy to say "so? People who deal in diamonds make a ton. F the rich" but it will hurt the people at the bottom more, the miners and hourly + commission mall employees more than the people up top.

There's no great way to have a superhero earn money with their powers, and on a meta level, having her do it in one page while being a stacked, beautiful white woman named Karen with a bob cut who jumped herself from poverty to millions isn't going to endear her to a lot of readers. I think reading the metaphorical room takes that option off the table.
    Of course, that's kind of been her story all along...

But if that's your problem with it, then simply have her go the tech route. Having her leverage her knowledge of Kryptonian tech has also been done before I suppose, but at least she's doing it, and no one else could, (save other Kryptonians).

Though I doubt simply making a few diamonds is going to hurt random miners at all. Even enough for many millions isn't going to depress the world market much.

Of course, that's kind of been her story all along...

But if that's your problem with it, then simply have her go the tech route. Having her leverage her knowledge of Kryptonian tech has also been done before I suppose, but at least she's doing it, and no one else could, (save other Kryptonians).

Though I doubt simply making a few diamonds is going to hurt random miners at all. Even enough for many millions isn't going to depress the world market much.
    I think the tech route is the best option.

Moreover, the economic impact shouldn't be wild, but I think the meta reason will likely drive the story to be about why she's taking shortcuts and impact the character negatively. Better to avoid it.

But yeah, while she's always been all those listed things physically, the name Karen with that Bob cut has become a meme oh privileged older white women complaining usually about things that only show they don't know what it's like for real people. That criticism is already thrown at Kryptonians and I think adding the Karen meme on top of it really isn't going to do her any favors.
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-01-2021 at 11:35 AM.
    May we never forget:

I think the tech route is the best option.

Moreover, the economic impact shouldn't be wild, but I think the meta reason will likely drive the story to be about why she's taking shortcuts and impact the character negatively. Better to avoid it.
    That's the funny thing..... This is a universe with Lex Luthor, and Teth Adam as authority figures. Sure, we can try to base the economy on the real world, but how many deviations are there? How many OTHER people are there who can ruin the real-world concept of economic value?

The diamond example in particular is something that... IRL isn't what it used to be. We have synthetic diamonds that are quite good actually nowadays. Which sorta tanked the value of natural diamonds.

A guy like Lex Luthor? he already has the ability to make as many as he wants.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 10-01-2021 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    That's the funny thing..... This is a universe with Lex Luthor, and Teth Adam as authority figures. Sure, we can try to base the economy on the real world, but how many deviations are there? How many OTHER people are there who can ruin the real-world concept of economic value?

The diamond example in particular is something that... IRL isn't what it used to be. We have synthetic diamonds that are quite good actually nowadays. Which sorta tanked the value of natural diamonds.

A guy like Lex Luthor? he already has the ability to make as many as he wants.
    Both listed examples aren't heroes that readers are specifically supposed to find sympathetic. Even Adam, at times, is allowed to go full heel or be problematic. Karen is generally a hero and an ethical one at that. If she did anything that changed the market on a commodity-- and I'm not saying a few diamonds would or wouldn't since I don't have an expertise there-- but if it had an impact it would lead to cost cutting measures by your Luthors and Cales which always means cutting non essential employees. All in all, I think that shortcut does more harm than good in an era where wealth inequality is at the center of political discourse and the overall zeitgeist. It just makes the people who do it look kind of like assholes who could do a lot but choose not to and DC doesn't want that for their heroes. It's not healthy for them long-term as IP to say "she'll do this to make a lot of money for herself but when others are jobless and turning to crime to make ends meet, she knocks them around."

The same goes for Clark, Kara and every other Kryptonian. And from a storytelling perspective, it's more compelling watching her build her life rather than just shortcut to being established
    May we never forget: