Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Don't read much of the Super-family but Powergirl's always been pretty cool when she shows in the stuff I read.

Oh boy, I felt so dirty reading that issue...

The subtext... THE SUBTEXT!! Frederick Whertam could had wrote a second part to Seduction of the Innocent with that comic.

I think Winnick take Karen more seriously in her series. Simone had take her in a more comical apsect but I think she has started to flanderizing her of late.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 02-06-2021 at 11:51 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    She's Super Family adjacent most the time by practice if not by design, so she tends to crossover in unusual spots. She tends to get a great showing in most those situations because a lot of creators really like her and how goddamn little **** she takes off people while maintaining a sassy, upbeat character. Johns was the exception where he had her being depressed most the time, but I'm convinced had he stayed on the book he would have returned her to form after he concluded her Imposter Syndrome/Home Sickness arc. It was good stuff, so I do enjoy her in that run, but it's the one place where she felt incongruous to most other people's takes.

Simone did right by her the few times she used her. She punched Diana into another state! Hell, Diana even remarked that PG is very good at what she does, but Amazons are simply better trained and that won out in the end. Losing to Wonder Woman is never something to be ashamed of.
    That was a good Simone bit. Like you say, losing to WW isn't a huge deal, but the way Simone had that happen was great, giving Diana her win without disrespecting Kara to do so. Too many times you see the losing hero get completely disrespected in the process, but with Simone writing, Kara got her props as well.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post

The subtext... THE SUBTEXT!! Frederick Whertam could had wrote a second part to Seduction of the Innocent with that comic.

I think Winnick take Karen more seriously in her series. Simone had take her in a more comical apsect but I think she has started to flanderizing her of late.
    Simone's writing of late has really fallen off, at least for me. I used to think she'd be great with Karen but now I really don't think she's the right choice to write her.

How old was the current Karen when she landed on earth?
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Typically same age as Supergirl if we're talking landing in her rocket from Krypton. If you mean when she swapped over from Earth-2, she's probably mid-to-late twenties.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Typically same age as Supergirl if we're talking landing in her rocket from Krypton. If you mean when she swapped over from Earth-2, she's probably mid-to-late twenties.
    From what I remember, originally it was stablished she was the same age as Supergirl when she landed, but she spend more time as a secret. Post Crisis and later retcons, she was early twenties.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Simone did William Marston proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Simone did William Marston proud.

And that is not the worst panel.
    A good era was the generation lost era. That was a Power Girl who was smart and serious.

Wow, this thread's gone to some weird places.

Anyway, to try and put this thread back on track.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    What I really want to see from a PG rogue is a focus on her business acumen. This aspect of Karen's life seems woefully under developed, even in comparison to the rest of her mythos, yet there's a lot of interesting things you can touch on there. Girls in STEM and business seems like it's always getting brought up as a near-constant part of the national/global conversation, there's niches in the DC business world that Starrware could fill (like aerospace development, now that GL is always off world and Ferris Air gets no attention), and it'd be a great way to highlight Karen's mind rather than her muscles or bust. I'm thinking someone who isn't a costumed villain, more like a business rival sort of along the lines of Justin Hammer's role as a foil for Tony Stark's business more than Iron Man's heroics.
    I always wondered about the business thing. How did she start the business? What did she sell? Did Mr Terrific give her a loan? Does she have people who handle day to day stuff while she is off super hero'ing like Batman does with Lucius? Does her being a superhero come into conflict with her being a businesswoman? How integral is it to her character? We know Batman and Mr Terrific need their respective companies to fund their activities, what does Karen get out of it?

And that is not the worst panel.
    A good era was the generation lost era. That was a Power Girl who was smart and serious.
    DC was really investing in her at the time. Shame New 52 treated her so poorly and then threw her out.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Wow, this thread's gone to some weird places.

Anyway, to try and put this thread back on track.....

I always wondered about the business thing. How did she start the business? What did she sell? Did Mr Terrific give her a loan? Does she have people who handle day to day stuff while she is off super hero'ing like Batman does with Lucius? Does her being a superhero come into conflict with her being a businesswoman? How integral is it to her character? We know Batman and Mr Terrific need their respective companies to fund their activities, what does Karen get out of it?
    From what I remember, the company was some kind of research and development. How it got started up, I don't recall. The Winnick run did present Karen having conflict between her superhero work and running her company.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    From what I remember, the company was some kind of research and development. How it got started up, I don't recall. The Winnick run did present Karen having conflict between her superhero work and running her company.
    In the solo era for PG, her business plan seemed to have been lifted from the underpants gnomes. They might want to think that one through next time.

I think Starrware was just a generic R&D corporation with a diversified portfolio, much like Wayne Enterprises or Queen Industries. I don't recall anything the company focused on, so much as it just being a source of income for Karen and a place for her to be in her secret identity.

I'd like to retool it into an aerospace firm with a lowkey interest in interdimensional research. Karen could take up military contracts for new fighter jets, look into multiversal experiments, etc. If PG believes that her earth might've survived (which has sometimes been the case) she uses it to look for earth-2. If she believes her universe was indeed destroyed then she uses the company to watch out for other threats that might rear up and challenge earth-1.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think Starrware was just a generic R&D corporation with a diversified portfolio, much like Wayne Enterprises or Queen Industries. I don't recall anything the company focused on, so much as it just being a source of income for Karen and a place for her to be in her secret identity.

I'd like to retool it into an aerospace firm with a lowkey interest in interdimensional research. Karen could take up military contracts for new fighter jets, look into multiversal experiments, etc. If PG believes that her earth might've survived (which has sometimes been the case) she uses it to look for earth-2. If she believes her universe was indeed destroyed then she uses the company to watch out for other threats that might rear up and challenge earth-1.
    Depending on what author they arent exactly generic...

Power Girl New Beginnings specifically states 21 century solution to planets ecological and environmental problems... tho maybe that is still a generic description... but Wayne enterprises had a lot of weapons development...

I don't recall there being any weapons or vague R&D in that book.

Mention of nano bots... which if I recall plays later into the plot... any case the bots build a car.

So some of what she has the company working on is explored and defined.
    20210207_133031.jpg