Page 14 of 60 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Depending on what author they arent exactly generic...

Power Girl New Beginnings specifically states 21 century solution to planets ecological and environmental problems... tho maybe that is still a generic description... but Wayne enterprises had a lot of weapons development...

I don't recall there being any weapons or vague R&D in that book.

Mention of nano bots... which if I recall plays later into the plot... any case the bots build a car.

So some of what she has the company working on is explored and defined.
    Attachment 105821
    Critically, however, none of it was said to generate any income for her. And Bruce suggested she might be overextending her company buying what appears to be the DCU's CNN as well at one point. All without any plan mentioned as to how Starrware is actually going to make money.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Critically, however, none of it was said to generate any income for her. And Bruce suggested she might be overextending her company buying what appears to be the DCU's CNN as well at one point. All without any plan mentioned as to how Starrware is actually going to make money.
    Yeah, the vibe I got was they'd be a B-Company eventually bought out by someone else. Which isn't awful if that someone else was Wayne or Queen, who would conduct their business ethically and provide good benefits to her employees. Either that or go non-profit and just try and create good products that can help people and provide a great quality of life for her employees. That felt very much like a seed planted for a later story that got dropped with the book's cancellation.

Yah and I guess if this specific PG run had lasted more then the 4 volumes then we may have seen more development on that corporate side of the story....

I haven't even been able to read the final volume Old Friends as its only available used and for well over 100$...

The only other major run I own of PG is her and Huntress fairly extensive World Finest stuff which leads into the Harley and PG stuff...

And of course a bunch of smaller appearances in JSA etc...

Ultimately Starrware is underdeveloped in plot compared to Wayne Enterprises solo on the bases that DC doesn't seem to like the character...

I'm working through Morrison's 4 volume JLA stuff, she's popping in and out there too.

Can you point to any volume that really digs deep into Starrware? Genuinely loved see PG in the corporate environment.

Yah and I guess if this specific PG run had lasted more then the 4 volumes then we may have seen more development on that corporate side of the story....

I haven't even been able to read the final volume Old Friends as its only available used and for well over 100$...

The only other major run I own of PG is her and Huntress fairly extensive World Finest stuff which leads into the Harley and PG stuff...

And of course a bunch of smaller appearances in JSA etc...

Ultimately Starrware is underdeveloped in plot compared to Wayne Enterprises solo on the bases that DC doesn't seem to like the character...

I'm working through Morrison's 4 volume JLA stuff, she's popping in and out there too.

Can you point to any volume that really digs deep into Starrware? Genuinely loved see PG in the corporate environment.
    If you're not adverse to digital, the entire run is on DCU Infinite which you can sub to for $8 a month. I prefer print too, but it's the only affordable way to read some runs.

In the solo era for PG, her business plan seemed to have been lifted from the underpants gnomes.
    Sorry, I don't know what those are. What do you mean by this?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    If you're not adverse to digital, the entire run is on DCU Infinite which you can sub to for $8 a month. I prefer print too, but it's the only affordable way to read some runs.
    I'm in Canada so even if I wanted it isnt possible...

Ultimately I don't read digitally, its just not relaxing looking at a screen...

If I really wanted to I can find ripped copies online pretty easy, but I don't do that either...

Is the finally volume any good? I noted the art declined at least imo

I'm in Canada so even if I wanted it isnt possible...

Ultimately I don't read digitally, its just not relaxing looking at a screen...

If I really wanted to I can find ripped copies online pretty easy, but I don't do that either...

Is the finally volume any good? I noted the art declined at least imo
    It's been a long time since I read the last volume (which means I should probably give it another go) but I'd say it's not $100 TPB good. If you can find the last few issues online, I'd say get them as single issues. Sadly, that beautiful Warren Louw cover for #27 significantly jacked the price up so for that one, digital or overpaying are your only options.

It's been a long time since I read the last volume (which means I should probably give it another go) but I'd say it's not $100 TPB good. If you can find the last few issues online, I'd say get them as single issues. Sadly, that beautiful Warren Louw cover for #27 significantly jacked the price up so for that one, digital or overpaying are your only options.
    Yah good point with singles.

Mycomicshop does seem to have everything via singles...

Ive been debating for ages if I should finish the original 90s Hawaii superboy run... I bought up to 13 then stopped cause they released the first 12 in a volume called trouble in paradise or something... pissed me off. Would rather have the trade over the singles....

The other issue is by the time I order the PG singles I'll get slammed with customs... mycomicshop always results in customs.. Amazon seems to never have this problem...

Im in collecting pickle

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Yah good point with singles.

Mycomicshop does seem to have everything via singles...

Ive been debating for ages if I should finish the original 90s Hawaii superboy run... I bought up to 13 then stopped cause they released the first 12 in a volume called trouble in paradise or something... pissed me off. Would rather have the trade over the singles....

The other issue is by the time I order the PG singles I'll get slammed with customs... mycomicshop always results in customs.. Amazon seems to never have this problem...

Im in collecting pickle
    If you're a big Superboy fan, I'd recommend at least finishing Karl Kesel's run, as it's highly unlikely DC will ever finish that series in trade.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Not the greatest image, but did anyone else like this costume? I'm gonna guess I'm in the minority...

And I'm talking about PG's costume, not the other three ladies.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Not the greatest image, but did anyone else like this costume? I'm gonna guess I'm in the minority...

And I'm talking about PG's costume, not the other three ladies.
    It wasn't for me but I admit I also affiliate it with a very bad time for PG so that doesn't help it any.

I was also all for them tying her into Arion, Aquaman, and the whole Atlantean mythology. Sorry... :-/
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

I was also all for them tying her into Arion, Aquaman, and the whole Atlantean mythology. Sorry... :-/
    No need to apologize. I'm glad it worked for you, man. That just means there's more eras of PG for you to enjoy and that's rad.

I discovered PG in JSA where she arguably had the first real direction she'd had in ages and went back to the classic stuff before finding her in JLE and that's easily the most rudderless she's ever been. It's not all bad, but that costume reminds me of that time she just ate a slice of Hal pie in the middle of a big fight and ended up with some phantom baby and the reveal she's some magic granddaughter of a guy dead over 3000 years ago and then the baby's gone and hey Aquaman you look good.

It wasn't the worst idea, but it was born of a stubborn desire to try and make Superman special in a really dumb way-- throwing away most adjacent stuff people liked about him (his cousin, the Legion, his dog, his other cousin, etc)-- because they really liked the whole "last son of Krypton" epithet. It'd be like if they loved "the Dark Knight" and had Bruce ride around everywhere on a motor cycle and lance and all of Gotham had to accommodate it. Is that a funny visual? Absolutely! It's not a great status quo for a decade.

So for good or ill, I think that specific costume just reminds me most of the era when PG was a big afterthought. I totally understand liking that they finally picked a direction (Atlantis) and rolling with it, but I admittedly got to read it after already seeing her in a healthier place so I didn't have the benefit of seeing her rudderless first and then having them find something new for her to do in a world that wouldn't let her be Kara Zor-L. Time isn't kind to this era for PG, phantom baby notwithstanding.
    Last edited by Robanker; 02-08-2021 at 11:21 PM.

No need to apologize. I'm glad it worked for you, man. That just means there's more eras of PG for you to enjoy and that's rad.
    Namaste!

It's really rare to find anyone who doesn't hate post-Giffen & DeMatteis PG. It seems like all anyone remembers of that era is the ridiculous diet soda sub-plot, but she got a lot of panel time and some long arcs that actually came to fruition and weren't just abandoned.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Namaste!

It's really rare to find anyone who doesn't hate post-Giffen & DeMatteis PG. It seems like all anyone remembers of that era is the ridiculous diet soda sub-plot, but she got a lot of panel time and some long arcs that actually came to fruition and weren't just abandoned.
    For sure. For all the flaws of that era for PG, I don't have any one era I hate. New 52 comes the closest by just having her be Supergirl, which is proper erasure of the character. If I hate one era, that's the one. I'd rather she be rudderless PG than just "other Supergirl."

I also remember JLI/E being the era of Wally really being a big ol' sonnuvabitch. lol