Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Sorry, I don't know what those are. What do you mean by this?
    Oldish pop culture reference. The underpants gnomes, who steal underpants, have a plan, it seems. Step one, steal underpants. Step two, ? Step three, profit. IIRC, that is...it's been a while.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    For sure. For all the flaws of that era for PG, I don't have any one era I hate. New 52 comes the closest by just having her be Supergirl, which is proper erasure of the character. If I hate one era, that's the one. I'd rather she be rudderless PG than just "other Supergirl."

I also remember JLI/E being the era of Wally really being a big ol' sonnuvabitch. lol
    Very true. Both Giffen & DeMatteis and Mike Baron over in his solo book really wrote Wally as immature and sexist. It was good for the lolz, but thankfully didn't last long once Messner-Loebs (and later Waid) actually let him grow up a bit.

That said, Karen always seemed to know how to put him in this place!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Very true. Both Giffen & DeMatteis and Mike Baron over in his solo book really wrote Wally as immature and sexist. It was good for the lolz, but thankfully didn't last long once Messner-Loebs (and later Waid) actually let him grow up a bit.

That said, Karen always seemed to know how to put him in this place!
    That she did.

DC was really investing in her at the time. Shame New 52 treated her so poorly and then threw her out.
    Seems like DC doesn't have the capacity of push Kara and Karen at the same time and always Power Girl is going to have the short end of the stick.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Not the greatest image, but did anyone else like this costume? I'm gonna guess I'm in the minority...

And I'm talking about PG's costume, not the other three ladies.
    During that era PG went in such weird directions... Almost Miss Marvel Carol Danvers, level.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Seems like DC doesn't have the capacity of push Kara and Karen at the same time and always Power Girl is going to have the short end of the stick.
    You're not wrong. 2009-2011 was maybe the one time they really put Karen before Kara while both were on the table.

Extraordinary Member

Weird, but true. IMO, their editors and writers just aren't talented enough to write a good Power Girl at the same time as SG, and if they take that as a challenge, so be it. Have at it guys and gals, prove you can do better!

If you're a big Superboy fan, I'd recommend at least finishing Karl Kesel's run, as it's highly unlikely DC will ever finish that series in trade.
    Yah the second I buy the run they'll release an Omnibus!!

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Weird, but true. IMO, their editors and writers just aren't talented enough to write a good Power Girl at the same time as SG, and if they take that as a challenge, so be it. Have at it guys and gals, prove you can do better!
    Seriously! PG has so much to offer! Give her a good set of villains and a clear direction that isn't just Harley Quinn's bff and work for it.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

You're not wrong. 2009-2011 was maybe the one time they really put Karen before Kara while both were on the table.
    Indeed. There is an invisible feud between those two. I suppose than they both worked better when they were in separated universes but in the same, well, is kinda hard, unless you change radically at least one of them it seems.

Indeed. There is an invisible feud between those two. I suppose than they both worked better when they were in separated universes but in the same, well, is kinda hard, unless you change radically at least one of them it seems.
    They're already very different. I think they exist fine with one another, hell I think the imposter syndrome adds to both of them and adds another layer to the adoption metaphor of Karen's story.

I love clutter Earth, what can I say.

The Take did a video on the "Bimbo" trope and how such a character can be portrayed positively. While it isn't a 1 to 1 comparison and calling Karen a bimbo really isn't accurate, some of the points raised could be argued to apply to her as well. Particularly about confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

The Take did a video on the "Bimbo" trope and how such a character can be portrayed positively. While it isn't a 1 to 1 comparison and calling Karen a bimbo really isn't accurate, some of the points raised could be argued to apply to her as well. Particularly about confidence.
    I'm just gonna say I'm really not a fan of trying to connect those two dots with Karen and leave it at that.

Honestly, the only time Karen fell on that trope was during the New52 Worlds Finest era.

Honestly, the only time Karen fell on that trope was during the New52 Worlds Finest era.
    Which we'd all rather forget.