Page 2 of 60 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Hopefully she'll show up

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Maybe but it might also generate new demand for Peege and it may actually trigger some thought about how Peege s should be handled apart from her genesis as an alternate Supergirl.
    It shouldn't be handled. It erases her character. She became Power Girl specifically to escape Clark's shadow. Yeah, it's her family crest as well, but to the entire universe it means "Superman" and he will never be bigger than that myth if she lives under it. Power Girl is something Karen made for herself. It's who she is. To put the El crest on her erases it and has her accept "well I'll never be bigger than if I remind everyone I'm Superman's cousin!" Not because that's what Supergirl is, but that's how Karen internalized it and to have her come to terms with it also essentially says all her character has been until now is some girl rebelling against dad or something. She isn't. She just wants to make it on her own without her famous cousin having any impact on her; she's a more independent Kara Zor-L with sass and a clearer vision for what she wants in life than Kara Zor-El, who changes every six months.

If you put an S on her, no matter the context, you erase PG. She's just Supergirl. It's erasure. I'll have none of it. Cover the window if you must, that's fine. She's still Power Girl even with a completely white leotard (as she's rocked in the past). But the S-Crest? I'll die on that hill. It's erasure.

Should we keep the boob window or slap the S symbol? It's hers too

Extraordinary Member

Cover to Power Girl #27, the series finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Should we keep the boob window or slap the S symbol? It's hers too
    As I said above, while it's hers too, to the universe it means "Superman." It will always mean that. Karen specifically became Power Girl because she doesn't want to be female Superman, Supergirl or any other iteration therein. She shouldn't use it. It erases her identity. Cover the window if you must, that's fine, but I'll die on the "don't just turn her into E-2 Supergirl" hill.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Cover to Power Girl #27, the series finale.

That cover is so sought after it makes that issue way too expensive to purchase. I lapsed comic reading around the time of its initial release and didn't pick it up. It was literally the only one I missed and I was so burnt by the New 52 I didn't bother. Had to pay way more than I'm happy with to pick it up years later and complete the run.

Damn pretty cover, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    As I said above, while it's hers too, to the universe it means "Superman." It will always mean that. Karen specifically became Power Girl because she doesn't want to be female Superman, Supergirl or any other iteration therein. She shouldn't use it. It erases her identity. Cover the window if you must, that's fine, but I'll die on the "don't just turn her into E-2 Supergirl" hill.
    Get yu sword out,we going to fight on the hill >

But seriousness it still hers and she still power girl. She just has her family crest.

Spectacular Member

That cover is so sought after it makes that issue way too expensive to purchase. I lapsed comic reading around the time of its initial release and didn't pick it up. It was literally the only one I missed and I was so burnt by the New 52 I didn't bother. Had to pay way more than I'm happy with to pick it up years later and complete the run.

I like it too, I just wonder which actress they will get to play her in Superman & Lois. She looks about 18 I'd say.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I actually have it! Bought it off the shelf. Ironically the story inside was a cliffhanger!
    Assassinate Putin!

Get yu sword out,we going to fight on the hill >

But seriousness it still hers and she still power girl. She just has her family crest.
    I'm also afraid it'll help DC push more of her into Supergirl's personality (like DC Superhero girls) the way Wally has been grafted onto Barry and soon she'll just have no reason to exist. Rather keep them different. If the CW got hold of PG, I'm sure they'd put the El Crest on her, probably make her gay (because they need her to be different from Kara, and because I don't think they'd be able to resist turning the feminist character at least bisexual) and have her beat up on her cousin some more. I just don't see how they'd really get the character.

I'm also afraid it'll help DC push more of her into Supergirl's personality (like DC Superhero girls) the way Wally has been grafted onto Barry and soon she'll just have no reason to exist. Rather keep them different. If the CW got hold of PG, I'm sure they'd put the El Crest on her, probably make her gay (because they need her to be different from Kara, and because I don't think they'd be able to resist turning the feminist character at least bisexual) and have her beat up on her cousin some more. I just don't see how they'd really get the character.
    Tbh in that show it was more like PG is Supergirl's costume cause she was basically PG. Didn't they do that on Earth 2 with Power Gilt finally growing up and accepting the S crest as her own?

Tbh in that show it was more like PG is Supergirl's costume cause she was basically PG. Didn't they do that on Earth 2 with Power Gilt finally growing up and accepting the S crest as her own?
    Yeah and I don't know a single PG fan who has anything nice to say about that era. It was character assassination. They basically turned her into Val-Zod's girlfriend Supergirl and were done with it until he proved unpopular and she dumped him, turned into Taylor Swift for a minute and then the book ended. What a horrible end for PG.

Yeah and I don't know a single PG fan who has anything nice to say about that era. It was character assassination. They basically turned her into Val-Zod's girlfriend Supergirl and were done with it until he proved unpopular and she dumped him, turned into Taylor Swift for a minute and then the book ended. What a horrible end for PG.
    Hmmm I did not know that. Barely anyone says anything about that era except of how forgettable it is. What is going on with Val Zod anyway? I doubt DC would just drop a black Superman like that.

Hmmm I did not know that. Barely anyone says anything about that era except of how forgettable it is. What is going on with Val Zod anyway? I doubt DC would just drop a black Superman like that.
    Calvin-Ellis was more interesting, basically, and DC seemingly only wants one black Superman.

Calvin-Ellis was more interesting, basically, and DC seemingly only wants one black Superman.
    You do have a point there. Though Calvin's has shown up in the main books.he will probably now explore the infinite multiverse

If you put an S on her, no matter the context, you erase PG. She's just Supergirl. It's erasure. I'll have none of it. Cover the window if you must, that's fine. She's still Power Girl even with a completely white leotard (as she's rocked in the past). But the S-Crest? I'll die on that hill. It's erasure.
    And I'll be on that hill right next to you.

For marketing purposes, yes putting the crest on Karen is smart money. And it's her crest as much as it's Clark's or Kara's. But it's a betrayal of her character. You might as well slap a Bat emblem on Nightwing. Actually, Karen wearing the "S" would be even worse.

It's not about Karen having no respect for her family, planet, or history. It's about Karen wanting to build her own life and identity, without any hand-outs because her cousin twice-removed is Super famous.

As for whether she keeps the boob window or not.....that's a big ol' "whatever." I support keeping it, but ensuring that its size and placement don't get out of hand. Don't make it so large that she's gonna fall out of it, don't set it so low you're staring at under-boob. Treat it like moderate cleavage, same as many shirts that real women wear, and nothing more. The boob window is not nearly as big a problem as some fans can make it; you'd think they never saw a woman who likes her cleavage before! Of course, plenty of artists go full ham with it too, so I guess I can see where they're coming from. That art up above, as great as it is, does indeed go farther with the size of the window than I'd like.

But if DC got rid of it I wouldn't be upset either.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.