Page 22 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Give the average person the full schematics for all of the steps to build a steam locomotive and IF they do it it'd take them years. Knowing trivia isn't intelligence. Being able to effectively USE that information is intelligence.
    ....that's what I said.

I think the only way to really compare someone like Karen to someone like Lex or Holt it to look at how well they innovate, not what facts they know.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    ....that's what I said.

I think the only way to really compare someone like Karen to someone like Lex or Holt it to look at how well they innovate, not what facts they know.
    Well, the fact that a story did have both PG and SG essentially being able to build that particular locomotive at super speed basically instantly does sort of allow that they're both geniuses on a level that amazed Holt.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The "intelligence" issue is something that causes problems with any character who's from another world, future time period, dimension, whatever. Their origins give them access to stuff that's wildly out of touch with anything resembling the real world, and it becomes a problem when you try to compare those characters to earthly ones like Lex or Holt.

The super science that people like Holt and Lex dig into, that's only cutting edge on earth. On Krypton the same science might've been covered in high school. Karen (and Kara) were given this knowledge as kids while Holt and Lex have to experiment, research, and spend tons of time discovering the same information.

I heard a story once, about a guy from some remote tribe with minimal math knowledge who found a basic algebra text book, and from that beginner's title, invented all manner of new mathematics on his own. If you went back in time a few centuries to his era, you would bring with you all the math that we've invented since then. So who is smarter, the tribesman who created new equations from scratch, or you, who was given even more advanced math at the age of sixteen?

I think the only way to really compare someone like Karen to someone like Lex or Holt (or Palmer, Choi, Morrow, Magnus, Irons, Veritas, etc), it to look at how well they innovate, not what facts they know. Karen might instantly understand one of Holt's new theories because she took "principals of dark matter" in high school, but can she discover or build something totally new? Can she push the boundaries of Kryptonian knowledge the way Holt pushes human knowledge?

Obviously the El's are a very smart family from a crazy smart species, and their intelligence and knowledge doesn't get highlighted enough for my tastes. But it's hard to compare them to earth geniuses in an honest way.
    I gotta disagree because we've been shown that Lex adapts to alien tech instantly. Intelligence isn't really a measure of how much you know but how quickly you can pick up, adapt and apply knowledge and the degree of complexity which you do so. Karen is smart. She's well-educated, but much like how Lex and Bruce get to solutions faster than Barry and Clark (who are also intelligent but their minds work infinitely faster), I don't think Karen's as bright as them. Does she happen to know some science they don't? Possibly, but genius is probably pushing it in the same way Superman doesn't really appear on anyone's "Top 5 smartest men in DC."

It doesn't mean either are dumb by any stretch. They're intelligent and well-educated, Karen more so than Clark on the latter at least, but the only thing that has ever hampered Lex's mind is his own personal hangups. His only real peer is probably Brainiac.

Extraordinary Member

How about making that her role in the DCU? No, not turning her into Mister Fantastic or Lex Luthor, but using her science and tech knowledge to put her into a role DC would actually LOVE to be able to shout about; using her to encourage girls to learn STEM? In her stories I mean, more as inspiration, and as an example of how interesting that stuff can be for girls? DC would eat that up, she wouldn't have to necessarily be Robanker's fear, just a smart, very well educated woman for DC to tout both in adverts and in stories. She's supposed to be a positive character anyway, why not make her positive in that way as well?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    How about making that her role in the DCU? No, not turning her into Mister Fantastic or Lex Luthor, but using her science and tech knowledge to put her into a role DC would actually LOVE to be able to shout about; using her to encourage girls to learn STEM? In her stories I mean, more as inspiration, and as an example of how interesting that stuff can be for girls? DC would eat that up, she wouldn't have to necessarily be Robanker's fear, just a smart, very well educated woman for DC to tout both in adverts and in stories. She's supposed to be a positive character anyway, why not make her positive in that way as well?
    I think having her use StarrWare as a way to find bright minds and finance their education/mentor them works really well.

Extraordinary Member

I'll just say it, the central character of this is a very, very broad parody of Power Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I'll just say it, the central character of this is a very, very broad parody of Power Girl.

She had the dimensions of Powergirl, but her personality it was a parody of Supergirl/Mary Marvel.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I think having her use StarrWare as a way to find bright minds and finance their education/mentor them works really well.
    hmmm just thought of something hilarious. Karen Starr tries to mentor upcoming geniuses... finds out that they may or may not have ulterior motives. Maybe have them be pre-existing characters, maybe not.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    She had the dimensions of Powergirl, but her personality it was a parody of Supergirl/Mary Marvel.
    Eh, seemed more like the exaggerated version of how some folks view PG. Her powers grew with her breasts, and her intelligence declined at the same time. It was making fun of all the tropes PG represents.

BANNED

Just a fan art

Extraordinary Member

Very nice, better than some of her pro art. Thank you for posting this.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Streaky is a nice touch.
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

I never understood why Power Girl and Supergirl didn’t strike up a friendship when all were on the same Earth. I think it would have helped define the two characters.

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Just a fan art
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Streaky is a nice touch.
    That is not Streaky, that is Stinky, aka Ted.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    I never understood why Power Girl and Supergirl didn’t strike up a friendship when all were on the same Earth. I think it would have helped define the two characters.
    They tend to become uneasy friends. They like each other enough but they don't work together often and I suppose it's because it's a bit awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Just a fan art
    Pretty cool, though Stinky does look a bit strange.