Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And I'll be on that hill right next to you.

For marketing purposes, yes putting the crest on Karen is smart money. And it's her crest as much as it's Clark's or Kara's. But it's a betrayal of her character. You might as well slap a Bat emblem on Nightwing. Actually, Karen wearing the "S" would be even worse.

It's not about Karen having no respect for her family, planet, or history. It's about Karen wanting to build her own life and identity, without any hand-outs because her cousin twice-removed is Super famous.

As for whether she keeps the boob window or not.....that's a big ol' "whatever." I support keeping it, but ensuring that its size and placement don't get out of hand. Don't make it so large that she's gonna fall out of it, don't set it so low you're staring at under-boob. Treat it like moderate cleavage, same as many shirts that real women wear, and nothing more. The boob window is not nearly as big a problem as some fans can make it; you'd think they never saw a woman who likes her cleavage before! Of course, plenty of artists go full ham with it too, so I guess I can see where they're coming from. That art up above, as great as it is, does indeed go farther with the size of the window than I'd like.

But if DC got rid of it I wouldn't be upset either.
    I'm pretty much with you there. They're not uncommon downtown in the summer around these parts. It's just outrage culture and people desperate to be on the right side of history, I think.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-01-2021 at 05:59 PM.

Hell, I live in northern New England, which is frozen like Skyrim for six months of the year, and in the middle of winter you *still* see women with plenty of cleavage. They might be wearing twelve coats, fur lined boots, and six hats, but they still manage to show some boob. And for many of them, it's not so guys look at them, it's just because they like showing off what the gods gave them.

Bless their souls.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

S crest stuff aside.its a shame Jon and Kara never interarracted.she would be the cool cousin or aunt. (Plus she would have kick-started his puberty too)

Hell, I live in northern New England, which is frozen like Skyrim for six months of the year, and in the middle of winter you *still* see women with plenty of cleavage. They might be wearing twelve coats, fur lined boots, and six hats, but they still manage to show some boob. And for many of them, it's not so guys look at them, it's just because they like showing off what the gods gave them.

Bless their souls.
    Most women I know dress for themselves. If guys are stupid about it, that's their problem. PG is like that too and I think it's rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Most women I know dress for themselves. If guys are stupid about it, that's their problem. PG is like that too and I think it's rad.
    Damn straight. I said this in last year's thread but I f*cking adore how body positive Karen is and how she deals with people's reactions to her. Busty girls have their own set of problems and hurdles, and it's nice to see that reflected in Karen.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Damn straight. I said this in last year's thread but I f*cking adore how body positive Karen is and how she deals with people's reactions to her. Busty girls have their own set of problems and hurdles, and it's nice to see that reflected in Karen.
    I know what you mean. That's part of what I love about PG. Everything she does she is 100% about it.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

But, don't you think there's an awkward constant here, these discussions about Power Girl's ****...correct me if I'm wrong but isn't she an underused character..seems the most exposure she gets is the literal exposure of her ****..she is always second to say Supergirl...and Supergirl doesn't have to keep flashing her ****...I think with Karen, first issue is that she seems to be just a secondary character, and then when she gets her time in a run or other appearance then there's still the issue of her mostly being just a walking pair of ****...
    Last edited by SplinteringHeart; 01-01-2021 at 06:50 PM.

Most of Karen's appearances aren't about her body at all. It's mostly the fan conversations.

When Karen appears with Harley Quinn, there is *always* some inappropriate comments and innuendo from Harley....which, obnoxious as it is, is appropriate for her character; Harley hits on everyone and has done the same to Superman and Wonder Woman. And a few of Karen's solo adventures tackled the topic, but through the lens of how she deals with people who can't look her in the eye, which is a valid exploration of her character and how she interacts with the world.

Power Girl isn't usually objectified in or by the narrative. She's only objectified by other characters on occasion. As for what the fans focus on....not much you can do about that.

~ Black Panther.

Most of Karen's appearances aren't about her body at all. It's mostly the fan conversations.

When Karen appears with Harley Quinn, there is *always* some inappropriate comments and innuendo from Harley....which, obnoxious as it is, is appropriate for her character; Harley hits on everyone and has done the same to Superman and Wonder Woman. And a few of Karen's solo adventures tackled the topic, but through the lens of how she deals with people who can't look her in the eye, which is a valid exploration of her character and how she interacts with the world.

Power Girl isn't usually objectified in or by the narrative. She's only objectified by other characters on occasion. As for what the fans focus on....not much you can do about that.
    Pretty much this. It doesn't help that there was a period where every cosplayer trying to boost their brand did a PG cosplay which undoubtedly hurt the character in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    But, don't you think there's an awkward constant here, these discussions about Power Girl's ****...correct me if I'm wrong but isn't she an underused character..seems the most exposure she gets is the literal exposure of her ****..she is always second to say Supergirl...and Supergirl doesn't have to keep flashing her ****...I think with Karen, first issue is that she seems to be just a secondary character, and then when she gets her time in a run or other appearance then there's still the issue of her mostly being just a walking pair of ****...
    Karen has a big chest. She just shows her cleavage, it's not like she walks around topless. In fact, Wonder Woman's costume leaves less to the imagination than Power Girl's does, people got mad when JMS put her in pants. For years PG has been the poster child of bad portrayals of female characters, she gets lumped in with 90's bad girls, even though she was created in the 70's. The debate around her chest and costume is ridiculous. I wish people would just let it go. It came up a few times in the Gray/Palmiotti/Conner run but for the most part it was ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    People
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    would let it go.
    Pick one. They don't mix.

Hey, an episode of DC Super Hero Girls was able to make Power Girl work (aside from just generally portraying their version of Supergirl like Power Girl) I refuse to believe she can't work in general .

Also, I already wrote it on the previous thread, but missed opportunity not to have Power Girl saying her last goodies to Prime like Conner did.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

I couldn't claim to be an avid DC fan, but I do follow WW, Superman and Justice League (because of Superman/WW)....the last run of comics I have with Powergirl in are James Robinson's Justice League from about 10 yrs ago, Power Girl is in the "boob window" costume...I expect fans of her here could point to a good run of stories featuring PG, but as somewhat of an outsider on this I'm saying each time I see the character I'm mostly just seeing this "Hello boys" girl in the revealing costume...and it's not just that it's revealing, its directing sight to her chest...yes WW's costume can at times be emphasised shall we say "immodestly" but there's a wealth of character history and portrayal that far exceeds her costume and looks and they are no great distraction to the character.

Yes perhaps PG's character is of a sassy busty girl, but as an outsider I keep just seeing this each time I revisit and it overrides....that cover PG # 27 is saying it all, unfortunately..

I'm not saying this to put the character down, the opposite in fact, I'm sharing an impression from someone interested about a "Superman related" character who hasn't yet seen a portrayal of PG that gets beyond "busty girl".....I'm in favour of a change of costume, close that "boob window" at least, and give us some stories DC....

Now this is an appreciation thread so I'll give way on this, and pop back to see strong fans discussion of the character..maybe I'll be pointed in the direction of (in my ignorance) some good runs/portrayal of PG to go towards.

Cheers

Well PG doesn't need where the S on her, it could just be a on the "back of the box" thing for merchandise and stuff as part of the super franchise.

As for the window it's not a problem in it self and karen should always have big boobs (god bless) the problem with the window is somtimes it lacks STYLE. To many times the window is just a hole in a white costume. I love the way injustice does it, the window is in the shape of the S crest. It has style.

Also one thing people have to remember when looking at what people are talking about on the internet. That is that the internet is NOT the real world, people dont have a problem with big boobs or boob Windows outside of the internet. The Internet is a very vocal minority.
    Last edited by WonderNight; 01-02-2021 at 07:35 AM.