Page 30 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Question for Power Girl fans:
    If Supergirl would take the name "Superwoman", should Kara change to "Power Woman"?
    She might, but it just sounds wrong. I can see it going either way. Karen is absolutely the type of woman who wouldn't let anyone tell her what she should name herself, but I can also see her naturally just shifting to Power Woman as well.

But it'll always sound weird to me.

Karen is definitely old enough to have switched out "Girl" for "Woman." She's gotta be what, mid-to-late 20's if not early 30's?

But some women prefer to use the term "girl" even after they're no longer kids, and Karen is one of them. It's a more...."fun"....term, and Karen is the kind of gal who enjoys her fun. She probably celebrates her birthday month, yknow?

Really, "Power Girl" just sounds better and more marketable than "Power Woman" and that's the only rationalization that's required.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    She might, but it just sounds wrong. I can see it going either way. Karen is absolutely the type of woman who wouldn't let anyone tell her what she should name herself, but I can also see her naturally just shifting to Power Woman as well.

But it'll always sound weird to me.
    That's my problem too. For me, for some reason, "Power Girl" rolls right off the tongue, while Power Woman is...awkward. Otherwise I'd be fine with her adopting the name as she grows older, or in future stories.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Karen is definitely old enough to have switched out "Girl" for "Woman." She's gotta be what, mid-to-late 20's if not early 30's?

But some women prefer to use the term "girl" even after they're no longer kids, and Karen is one of them. It's a more...."fun"....term, and Karen is the kind of gal who enjoys her fun. She probably celebrates her birthday month, yknow?

Really, "Power Girl" just sounds better and more marketable than "Power Woman" and that's the only rationalization that's required.
    Also, I'd love some more Power Girl having fun, with or without her friends in the League and Society. (but not with Harley, who she should never see again). You know, just a fun issue or two.
    Last edited by achilles; 06-14-2021 at 02:09 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Also, I'd love some more Power Girl having fun, with or without her friends in the League and Society. (but not with Harley, who she should never see again). You know, just a fun issue or two.
    Absolutely, and personally I'd love if she never crossed paths with Harley again. Kind of tired of Harley sexually harassing PG with no reprimand and am starting to worry that DC is just going to reward her for it. :/

Extraordinary Member

This was meant to be a question about Kryptonians in general, but since the one I'm most familiar with, and confused by in this case, I'm putting it here. Also, because I admit to being a bit nervous about posting what would be my first thread here.

The question is about healing. I've seen instances where certain Kryptonians, (in my case, it was SG), can nearly instantaneously heal major injuries by sun-dipping. And that in any event they heal at a greatly accelarated rate. But AFAIK, I haven't ever seen PG pull off either of those tricks. Survive things that should kill anyone short of Superman or Doomsday, yes, but not heal like that. In fact, that feat of survival, (being poisoned with Kryptonite and then blown up along with the moon in Generation Lost---and still evidently surviving), showed she didn't heal. As did her previous appearance in the same issue where one eye has been put out.

So does anyone know the answer? Do Kryptonians in general heal like that? Can PG do so, and has she ever done so on panel? And just how durable ARE Kryptonians? Being laid out by a punch from Darkseid doesn't square with being first heavily poisoned with Kryptonite and then have a moon blown up around you...

Questions I have...

This was meant to be a question about Kryptonians in general, but since the one I'm most familiar with, and confused by in this case, I'm putting it here. Also, because I admit to being a bit nervous about posting what would be my first thread here.

The question is about healing. I've seen instances where certain Kryptonians, (in my case, it was SG), can nearly instantaneously heal major injuries by sun-dipping. And that in any event they heal at a greatly accelarated rate. But AFAIK, I haven't ever seen PG pull off either of those tricks. Survive things that should kill anyone short of Superman or Doomsday, yes, but not heal like that. In fact, that feat of survival, (being poisoned with Kryptonite and then blown up along with the moon in Generation Lost---and still evidently surviving), showed she didn't heal. As did her previous appearance in the same issue where one eye has been put out.

So does anyone know the answer? Do Kryptonians in general heal like that? Can PG do so, and has she ever done so on panel? And just how durable ARE Kryptonians? Being laid out by a punch from Darkseid doesn't square with being first heavily poisoned with Kryptonite and then have a moon blown up around you...

Questions I have...
    It's a "power of plot" thing. It's not consistent, not at all. But yeah, part of the Kryptonian power set is enhanced healing. Not the full "regrow lost limbs" kind, but extra fast normal healing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    It's a "power of plot" thing. It's not consistent, not at all. But yeah, part of the Kryptonian power set is enhanced healing. Not the full "regrow lost limbs" kind, but extra fast normal healing.
    The reason I asked was because of a SG story, or rather one with her, Hal, and IIRC Carter on Rann or someplace(?) with three white suns. SG was mortally hurt, but got better almost instantly once she got outside the atmosphere. It was something I thought might be possible, but had never seen it, thought the Death of Superman offered a somewhat slower version of what SG did there. And I've never really seen PG heal quickly.
    Last edited by achilles; 06-20-2021 at 06:02 PM.

The reason I asked was because of a SG story, or rather one with her, Hal, and IIRC Carter on Rann or someplace(?) with three white sons. SG was mortally hurt, but got better almost instantly once she got outside the atmosphere. It was something I thought might be possible, but had never seen it, thought the Death of Superman offered a somewhat slower version of what SG did there. And I've never really seen PG heal quickly.
    Again it's a Kryptonian thing. If one can do it, they probably all can unless there's a specific reason given.

Interesting about Max Lord though. While these days he's mostly a Wonder Woman villain, he never had that much to do with Diana. Mostly, it was with the Giffen Leagues, including PG. IMO turning him into a villain in the first place was a mistake, but giving him to Diana, who never needed him and had little history with him...was worse.
    Something about the notion that Countdown's Lord as villain turn was uncharacteristic never really clicked with me. I finally went back to the League books and while he presented as heroic to the Leaguers behind the scenes he absolutely was a villain from issue one. He one-button kills people, for Hera's sake. And is quite cheeky about it. Now that I have confirmed it, I would say his Countdown appearance was a return to his roots and a major upgrade in his game.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Nice, I love the expression on her face lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Something about the notion that Countdown's Lord as villain turn was uncharacteristic never really clicked with me. I finally went back to the League books and while he presented as heroic to the Leaguers behind the scenes he absolutely was a villain from issue one. He one-button kills people, for Hera's sake. And is quite cheeky about it. Now that I have confirmed it, I would say his Countdown appearance was a return to his roots and a major upgrade in his game.
    My read is that... some people liked certain aspects of the story and kinda ignored others. So they perceived it differently. Also they just didn't like the plot twist.

POWERHOUSE 0.jpgTanya should've stayed Power Girl and Kara should be POWER WOMAN

Extraordinary Member

Puts me in mind of those immortal words of Wesley Snipes as Blade...