Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

Darwyn was the man. RIP.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Extraordinary Member

I must say, out of all my fantasy writer/artists to write a Power Girl solo----he was always at the very top. He'd have been perfect to write a 50s Power Girl which would have been awesome. I think out of all the artistic depictions I've ever seen of her, his best captured her personality. So sad...
    Last edited by achilles; 08-11-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Incredible Member

Any fight between Power Girl and Darkseid should be equal.
    A true slugfest. Now whether we would actually see that ....

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    Any fight between Power Girl and Darkseid should be equal.
    A true slugfest. Now whether we would actually see that ....
    I disagree but mostly on the ground that if Darkseid is set up to be one of the ultimate big bads, no single character save The Spectre or some such should be able to stand to him and that includes every Kryptonian. It undermines his threat to the DCU at large if Clark or Karen can slap him around.

But if any heroes could, they'd be at the top of the list among a few peers. Still, I think that's bad for the universe as a whole.
    Last edited by Robanker; 08-11-2021 at 12:51 PM.
    May we never forget:

Incredible Member

Fair point.

It just seems that we would put Superman in that class, his "sort of" cousin should be able to do the same.

I suppose the larger question becomes what is the heavyweight ranking.
    Last edited by RobinGA; 08-11-2021 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Easy fix. Just call them by their personal name and their house name, so PG would be Kara L, and SG would be Kara El. I don't know why they haven't done it already.
    Enh... I'm guessing it's something that in and out of universe is an old tradition at this point.
    As for the Darkseid stuff...if she does fight him, and I'll note that classic PG, which this seems to be, never has done so; I hope they don't do what they did with nu52 Power Girl, who did fight Darkseid. She actually did very well, managing to gouge out his eye, outrun his Omega Beams, and later walk through them with no real harm. But the problem was that none of that stuff hurt Darkseid, who wasn't even momentarily hurt by having his eye gouged. In wrestling terms, he didn't sell the move. In other words, don't make her look bad against him. Hell, make her look very good, she needs it on her reintroduction, she needs to be bad-ass.
    Well for starters Darkseid is the sort of heel who only sells attacks if he's jobbing. I personally suspect(from an in-universe POV) he's acting a part to make himself more intimidating. IE even if it does hurt he pretends it doesn't in order to be scarier. He's super into the "puny mortals!" deal.

There was also an alt-u version of Powergirl who lived in a universe where Kal-el didn't survive the destruction of Krypton. That was a pretty epic fight. Also, as the eldest member of the House of El, she was the one to wear the crest.... and didn't have a boob window.

To be honest, it kinda makes sense to ascribe a ceremonial significance. IE only the current house leader wears the big crest. But that's not really how they've been doing it. Usually it's just to mark which house you are and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Darwyn was the man. RIP.
    Criminal he didn't do anything official with her. Him doing some issues on Jonah Hex is what got me to read that character.

I must say, out of all my fantasy writer/artists to write a Power Girl solo----he was always at the very top. He'd have been perfect to write a 50s Power Girl which would have been awesome. I think out of all the artistic depictions I've ever seen of her, his best captured her personality. So sad...
    Would have been a good companion piece to something like his Catwoman stuff.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Enh... I'm guessing it's something that in and out of universe is an old tradition at this point.
    Well for starters Darkseid is the sort of heel who only sells attacks if he's jobbing. I personally suspect(from an in-universe POV) he's acting a part to make himself more intimidating. IE even if it does hurt he pretends it doesn't in order to be scarier. He's super into the "puny mortals!" deal.

There was also an alt-u version of Powergirl who lived in a universe where Kal-el didn't survive the destruction of Krypton. That was a pretty epic fight. Also, as the eldest member of the House of El, she was the one to wear the crest.... and didn't have a boob window.

To be honest, it kinda makes sense to ascribe a ceremonial significance. IE only the current house leader wears the big crest. But that's not really how they've been doing it. Usually it's just to mark which house you are and that's it.
    Was that the manga Power Girl from that short lived manga thing DC did a while back? IIRC, PG in that fit what you said...she was her world's Superman, and she had a Supergirl too IIRC. She fought Darkseid? I didn't read all of it...

Extraordinary Member

Criminal he didn't do anything official with her. Him doing some issues on Jonah Hex is what got me to read that character.

Man I wish he was like Prince, leaving behind an entire album, or in his case, an entire miniseries, and that the mini was a PG one...

Yeah, sadly reality will disappoint and he hasn't done so, but I can dream.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yeah, he drew me to Jonah as well and then I started reading backwards and forwards. The Palmiotti/Gray run was excellent.
    May we never forget:

Was that the manga Power Girl from that short lived manga thing DC did a while back? IIRC, PG in that fit what you said...she was her world's Superman, and she had a Supergirl too IIRC. She fought Darkseid? I didn't read all of it...
    Nah, it was World's End. This scene is from #24

This version of Powergirl has Val-Zod as her sidekick.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Nah, it was World's End. This scene is from #24

This version of Powergirl has Val-Zod as her sidekick.
    Or the other way around. I kid, I see them more as equal partners (especially once Val gets over his cold feet about fighting) than anything else.

All that aside, I love seeing a version of Powergirl giving Darkseid the business, it never gets old.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Or the other way around. I kid, I see them more as equal partners (especially once Val gets over his cold feet about fighting) than anything else.

All that aside, I love seeing a version of Powergirl giving Darkseid the business, it never gets old.
    It doesn't get old, I agree. And giving the classic PG a win over Darkseid is the quickest and easiest way to give her major character cred. Followed of course by some serious character development.

On another note. looking at that costume, it strikes me that it's basically a gymnast's outfit with a cape and belt. And that it seems to be to be more aimed at perhaps someone on the younger side, not really what you'd want if you want PG to be distinctly older than SG. Maybe do what the actual gymnasts are moving toward now, the same thing basically, but with legs built in. More of a speedskater's coverage; the Injustice 2 sort of thing?
    Last edited by achilles; 08-12-2021 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Darwyn was the man. RIP.
    Indeed he was. So grateful I had a chance to see him.