Page 5 of 60 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Power Girl vs. Darkseid cover to Earth 2 World's End #24:

Extraordinary Member

Power Girl puts out Darkseid's eye...

Extraordinary Member

First part of Power Girl accidentally killing the Joker of off-brand, never again mentioned Earth 2.

Is it me or DC doesn't pay much attention to her kryptonian side of things? Just reference it. But like I remember on the New Krypton arc,PG did not make any interaction with any kryptonian except the "These are no my people" part. Which they are? Also she never really even go to interact with her parents.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Is it me or DC doesn't pay much attention to her kryptonian side of things? Just reference it. But like I remember on the New Krypton arc,PG did not make any interaction with any kryptonian except the "These are no my people" part. Which they are? Also she never really even go to interact with her parents.
    DC segregate her to the JSA office and nothing more. It's kind of lame, to be honest. I love her in the JSA, but she's still a Super character.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    DC segregate her to the JSA office and nothing more. It's kind of lame, to be honest. I love her in the JSA, but she's still a Super character.
    Hey, at least they dropped her post-CoIE reworked backstory that made her a descendent of Arion of Atlantis.

From Who's Who Update '87, Vol. 4 (November 1987):

Extraordinary Member

Nope, it's not just you. Something they should do, but never have.

I'd be fine with the divide between Karen and the Kents, if only DC would utilize and explore it! I mean, how weird must it be for Karen to have this younger version of her family, this younger version of herself, running around out there, making headlines? What a mind trip it must be. Karen wasn't wrong in New Krypton; those *weren't* her people, strictly speaking. Yet they sort of are. Hell of a strange situation to be in, made infinitely worse by knowing that not only are all of your "real" family dead, but your entire reality is too.

So I don't really mind if she's fairly removed from the other Supers. I want her to be part of the family, and to have a role when there's an El team up, but I want her to keep her distance too and admit that it's awkward as hell and I want the book (whichever book she's appearing in) to dig into this; what it's like when you have a family that isn't actually *your* family? I want to see her pain, as well as her joy in knowing that at least *a* Kal-El is around.

I think this image kind of sums it up best.
    Yeah, it really does. Over in the "Maxima" thread we were talking a bit about how fans and our preconceived notions can be a hurdle to telling a quality, engaging story and I think that kind of applies here too; people think they know what PG is all about before they crack open a issue, and unfortunately they think it's just boobs, objectifications, and low-brow humor. And that's not really the case, but you'd have to get those fools to read a issue to find that out. Which they don't wanna do because they want more than just boobs, objectification, and low-brow humor.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-02-2021 at 06:50 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Hey, at least they dropped her post-CoIE reworked backstory that made her a descendent of Arion of Atlantis.

From Who's Who Update '87, Vol. 4 (November 1987):
    That Atlantean origin is really convoluted.
    Assassinate Putin!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'd be fine with the divide between Karen and the Kents, if only DC would utilize and explore it! I mean, how weird must it be for Karen to have this younger version of her family, this younger version of herself, running around out there, making headlines? What a mind trip it must be. Karen wasn't wrong in New Krypton; those *weren't* her people, strictly speaking. Yet they sort of are. Hell of a strange situation to be in, made infinitely worse by knowing that not only are all of your "real" family dead, but your entire reality is too.

So I don't really mind if she's fairly removed from the other Supers. I want her to be part of the family, and to have a role when there's an El team up, but I want her to keep her distance too and admit that it's awkward as hell and I want the book (whichever book she's appearing in) to dig into this; what it's like when you have a family that isn't actually *your* family? I want to see her pain, as well as her joy in knowing that at least *a* Kal-El is around.

Yeah, it really does. Over in the "Maxima" thread we were talking a bit about how fans and our preconceived notions can be a hurdle to telling a quality, engaging story and I think that kind of applies here too; people think they know what PG is all about before they crack open a issue, and unfortunately they think it's just boobs, objectifications, and low-brow humor. And that's not really the case, but you'd have to get those fools to read a issue to find that out. Which they don't wanna do because they want more than just boobs, objectification, and low-brow humor.
    Early in Jimmy and Amanda's run they struck an alright balance but it's gotten worse over time and she's just kind of a joke and someone for Harley to sexually harass now. It sucks.

The Atlantean years were indeed a mess.

Extraordinary Member

Speaking of Maxima, that's a character I'd like to see Power Girl spend some time with. AFAIK, the only "time" they've ever spent together, had more to do with PG hitting Maxy in the face, rather than meaningful interaction. I think that their similarities and differences would make for a great story or two should they team up. And they both have so much unused potential, both merely waiting for someone with a plan and an understanding of the characters to use them to tell great stories.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    First part of Power Girl accidentally killing the Joker of off-brand, never again mentioned Earth 2.

Where is this from?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Where is this from?
    I think that is JSA annual from their post-Infinite Crisis ongoing.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Where is this from?
    The specific issue I have no idea, but it's from the Johns' JSA walking tour with Gog where he sends PG off to a new Earth 2 the multiverse has constructed in the place of her real version. This one turns out to already have a Power Girl, this one being a furious wannabe CIA torturer, who tortures real PG because she thinks she's an imposter who knows where false PG's Kal-L is. While Nightwing and Huntress sit by and don't stop her. In the scene you reference, real PG kills the Joker as he tries to kill Huntress with his electric thumb tack; PG intercepts the tack and since electricity apparently means nothing to PG, she simply stands there holding hands with him as he fries. Very off-putting scene given what is established as her character, but in keeping with Johns' off-kilter portrayal of Power Girl.

Real PG is eventually saved by Kingdom Come Superman with Alan and others in tow. Real PG doesn't even try to rescue herself, but merely cries a lot and submits meekly to torture, again very out of character. Whoever wrote the Supergirl Candor arc before that knew much more about PG, showing how the character would actually react under torture, (and curiously painting the nominal heroine, Supergirl, in a very bad light. Weird, but that was how they rolled with whatever they envisioned Supergirl being back then, (it certainly wasn't her being a hero). Fortunately, for all the faults with some people writing Power Girl; at least they never consistently tried to get the reader to dislike her.
    Last edited by achilles; 01-03-2021 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

But she IS part of the Superman family. It's not like Nightwing gets remove from his family like PG is done. And I'm talking that she didn't even get to get interact with different versions of her parents. Kinda a disappointment tbh.