Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960
    Extraordinary Member

You know, for a character who hasn't really been published in any meaningful way since the early Obama era, Power Girl's app thread has managed quite a few responses, more in fact than characters I could name who do have books...and TV...and movie appearances. Yes, I'm aware it's mostly a core of her fans, but that she still has such fans after so long...says quite a lot IMO, namely that she's a character that would be well worth DC and WB's time to develop.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

It also discredits Didio's "If we just don't acknowledge them, then people will forget they exist" motto. Wally fans never forgot. Neither did Donna fans throughout the entire New 52.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Yeah, that was pretty clear. I was just bemoaning that they never really bothered to do anything with either of those characters. An evil version of PG should be well, an awesome and scary bad guy on a level with say a Darkseid, (really, any evil Kryptonian should be a major threat, and one used to actually fighting should be a nightmare. But....I'm afraid that if they ever go that way, evil PG will be a sort of joke, and no real threat.
    Part of why I wanna see Divine used more. It was a good character concept.

Also the DCAU comics had PG in them... but we have no idea what her backstory was!!!! Is it possibly a reformed Galatea?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Part of why I wanna see Divine used more. It was a good character concept.

Also the DCAU comics had PG in them... but we have no idea what her backstory was!!!! Is it possibly a reformed Galatea?
    They never gave her backstory in those. But from what I recall, it sounds more like it was the not yet Kryptonian again PG they were using, rather than Galatea.

Power Girl's not bad, she's just drawn that way...

Honestly, not a fan of the big muscle look; she's got superpowers, she doesn't need huge muscles, and was always meant as sort of cheesecake by guys like Woods. Bring her back for real, DC. Give her epic adventures that matter to the wider DCU. Write her in character, and don't have her constantly job for Supergirl or whoever. Give her a few big wins, a solo against guys like Mongul or Darkseid. That's what she needs, among other things, to succeed at least as well as SG. That, and those live action appearances. Cyclone of all people is getting in a movie first. That Naomi character is getting a series after what one, two years? No one at DC likes or respects the idea of an older, more experienced and perhaps tougher version of SG.
    Hi, Achilles! I was pondering the same thing about other femmes like Grace Choi this week. Then I wondered does the board ever feel that way about Supes himself? Is he still Superman if he isn't ubermuscled?

They never gave her backstory in those. But from what I recall, it sounds more like it was the not yet Kryptonian again PG they were using, rather than Galatea.
    Yeah, definitely seemed to have a different personality, but.... Galatea had a very different personality when not in "smash Supergirl" mode. We didn't see it all that much. Although, it would have made sense for her to decide to punch the bad guy in that story so hard he got launched into orbit... but she didn't.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Hi, Achilles! I was pondering the same thing about other femmes like Grace Choi this week. Then I wondered does the board ever feel that way about Supes himself? Is he still Superman if he isn't ubermuscled?
    Difficult question! Took me a while to think about it and come up with any kind of an answer. I think it boils down to what you were first exposed to, and huge Superman is what most of us got introduced to first. In fact, other than looking at old comics, I don't personally recall any depictions of a more realistic Superman. As for PG, I was first exposed to the not Alex Ross era stuff. Back when she didn't have the body builder thing rocking. As for Grace Choi...strangely, I have no problem with her look. Again, I suspect it's because I've only ever seen her that way, which evidently makes it correct in my mind. Funny how that works.

Thanks, Achilles! I am a weirdo I suspect because while my first exposure to Peege was in the WW backups with Huntress it really is the Bart Sears era interpretation that feels correct to me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Thanks, Achilles! I am a weirdo I suspect because while my first exposure to Peege was in the WW backups with Huntress it really is the Bart Sears era interpretation that feels correct to me.
    It was Sears and the old All-Stars at just about the same time, (in the bargain bins). So there you go! Not that weird...