Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Crud View Post
    Nat’s movie is finally out and the thread is practically dead.
    I would talk but people have said that we should wait till the movie's out and people have had the chance to see it so I'll wait a couple of days.

And how do people feel about marketing?

Honestly I'm not a fan of the (semi)birds of prey route they are talking with this.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 07-09-2021 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I would talk but people have said that we should wait till the movie's out and people have had the chance to see it so I'll wait a couple of days.

And how do people feel about marketing?

Honestly I'm not a fan of the (semi)birds of prey route they are talking with this.
    What do you mean by Birds of Prey route?
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    What do you mean by Birds of Prey route?
    The "makes men squirm" articles.

The bashing of Iron Man 2(completely ignoring that it was the entire point of the film) and ScarJo being hypocritical(or maybe it's just how they frame it).

She also complains that she was cast because she was beautiful but the thing is every actor male or female is cast on the bases of looks(and other stuff of course but looks are a big factor).Like Chris Hemsworth would not be Thor if he didn't look the way he did.

There's a lot of stuff, just check videos online.These are from the top of my head.

I'm reserving judgement but from what my friends who have seen the spoilers say it's not good.I want to see it first hand so I have avoided most of the spoilers
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 07-09-2021 at 04:07 AM.

The "makes men squirm" articles.
    That quote is from a review. I doubt that Marvel's marketing paid the critic to write that in his article. By the way that's a pretty outlandish take on his part that I wouldn't agree with.

She also complains that she was cast because she was beautiful
    That sounds made up, why would she say that when she wasn't even first choice for the role, she only got the gig because Emily Blunt had to pull out.

There's a lot of stuff, just check videos online.
    No thanks. I don't care about opinions of YouTubers who clearly have an agenda and twist the facts to suit it.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

I had absolutely no interest in a Black Widow movie. The only time I really liked the character was in the Winter Soldier movie, and it seemed like this one was trying to bring back that vibe, but the marketing was terrible. None of the trailers suggested an interesting story, all of the action scenes in the marketing seemed uncreative and the humor was so unfunny. But I went to see the movie just because I was bored... Wow.

This film was fantastic. Cate Shortland was a great choice as a director. The character work was brilliant, and I fully attribute that to great writing, directing and acting. This film was laser focused on what it wanted to be about. I'm really impressed. Tonally it was completely different from the rest of the MCU, and it should have been marketed that way. This isn't a superhero movie, not at all. In fact, it's barely an action spy film, even though it has lots of engaging action. This is a drama about a daughter that left home once she had the opportunity and is now coming to grips with that decisiondecision decades later.
    Last edited by Alpha; 07-09-2021 at 05:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member

That quote is from a review. I doubt that Marvel's marketing paid the critic to write that in his article. By the way that's a pretty outlandish take on his part that I wouldn't agree with.

That sounds made up, why would she say that when she wasn't even first choice for the role, she only got the gig because Emily Blunt had to pull out.

No thanks. I don't care about opinions of YouTubers who clearly have an agenda and twist the facts to suit it.
    Fair enough

It's a quote IIRC.That's why I said she seems hypocritical

Oh okay.They pull out interviews from big sites and say whats written on them.I don't think there's any margin to twist in this case.You can just check the interviews if you feel like.There is a bunch of others stuff.

Extraordinary Member

Going to watch it now

Cautiously optimistic

Oh okay.They pull out interviews from big sites and say whats written on them.I don't think there's any margin to twist in this case.You can just check the interviews if you feel like.There is a bunch of others stuff.
    Quotes taken out of context and being tampered with? That's basically happening every day.

Example: If you actually read Scarlett's complete interview with her comments on Iron Man 2 you'd realize that she admits she had no issues with the sexualized depiction at the time because she was 24 years old and even saw that as a kind of compliment back then. But as a 35 year old mother of a daughter she has a different look on things. I wouldn't say evolving as a person and changing one's views over the course of a decade makes one a hypocrite.

I read plenty of interviews and nothing in them was offensive to someone with a healthy attitude towards women.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I had absolutely no interest in a Black Widow movie. The only time I really liked the character was in the Winter Soldier movie, and it seemed like this one was trying to bring back that vibe, but the marketing was terrible. None of the trailers suggested an interesting story, all of the action scenes in the marketing seemed uncreative and the humor was so unfunny. But I went to see the movie just because I was bored... Wow.

This film was fantastic. Cate Shortland was a great choice as a director. The character work was brilliant, and I fully attribute that to great writing, directing and acting. This film was laser focused on what it wanted to be about. I'm really impressed. Tonally it was completely different from the rest of the MCU, and it should have been marketed that way. This isn't a superhero movie, not at all. In fact, it's barely an action spy film, even though it has lots of engaging action. This is a drama about a daughter that left home once she had the opportunity and is now coming to grips with that decisiondecision decades later.
    I found it puzzling how similar it is to Shortland's earlier works Lore and Berlin Syndrome despite these films being nothing like Marvel movies. But the core themes are basically the same, Shortland really put her stamp on the movie.

Ah that sounds so good!! Exactly the kind of impressions I was hoping for

Extraordinary Member

Quotes taken out of context and being tampered with? That's basically happening every day.

Example: If you actually read Scarlett's complete interview with her comments on Iron Man 2 you'd realize that she admits she had no issues with the sexualized depiction at the time because she was 24 years old and even saw that as a kind of compliment back then. But as a 35 year old mother of a daughter she has a different look on things. I wouldn't say evolving as a person and changing one's views over the course of a decade makes one a hypocrite.

I read plenty of interviews and nothing in them was offensive to someone with a healthy attitude towards women.
    Again they go through the whole article from begin to end.

And that age thing is because she is aging and won't get cast for just pure beauty anymore.
    Well that and criticizing the movie that made her carrier only when her run at Marvel is over seems more than a coincidence .
    Again I don't really care about this so won't further discuss

Two more things, the action was concise and pertinent which is surprising. None of them overstayed their welcome (though I think the fight between Natasha and Yelena didn't make much sense).

And I'm shocked by how much I liked the Red Room. Most high tech secret military facilities are so boring on the inside but this one had a really cool design.

Extraordinary Member

Just saw it.Meh.

SPOILERSSSS!!!!!

It's like Winter Soldier but instead of having the vibe and atmosphere that made it so good it very Marvel jokey style.
    They had similar things but Winter Soldier had a far better execution.

The plot is fine.Nothing good but not bad either.It works.

Red guardian is a joke the entire film.It was interesting at first but we never get any pay-off or redemption.Seriously they make him a joke like 10 different times.
    Taskmaster is ruined Mandarin style.I don't care that she is Drakov's daughter instead of Tony Masters but they messed most aspects of the character.
    Drakov as the villain is one-dimensional and boring.
    Yelena is a quipy Nat.She was compelling, cool character.
    Nat was fine, so was the Melina.

I mean they were as subtle as a brick with the messages but whatever.

The post credit scene was amazing.One might say it was better than the movie.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 07-09-2021 at 12:52 PM.

Just saw it.Meh.

It's like Winter Soldier but instead of having the vibe and atmosphere that made it so good it very Marvel jokey style.
    I don't think we watched the same movie. This had none of the slapstick and all of the "quips and jokes" were genuine character interactions. The moment at the dinner table for example where they tell Natasha not to slouch. I hated that scene in the trailers. It felt so unfunny. But within the movie it's not for the audience to laugh, it's to reinforce the idea that Red Guardian and Melina treat Natasha in a patronizing but affectionate manner, whereas Natasha has disregarded that whole part of her life as them just "acting the part".

Red Guardian was a guy obsessed with being a glorious emblem of his nation and he obscured the truth and disregarded the parts of his life that contradicted his own glory, but he wasn't there for the audience to laugh at him. Every ocasion of him being self-aggrandizing was very much a character moment, not a comedy routine.

@Spiderfan001 You could mark parts that are clearly spoilers as such. Movie only just came out today in the US.