Page 100 of 110 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 1641

Saw this online, but Brandon Routh would be a good Reed Richards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Just a thought I've been having for a while and the recent Ben book and Deadpool/Sue team-up has kind of cemented it.

I think the Fantastic Four work better apart, as individuals nowadays. As a team things have gotten boring and repetitive. They don't grow and their adventures have the same plot beats and ending - The three buy time for Reed to make some invention to save the day. Rinse and Repeat.

Sue, Johnny, and Ben are all much better when they are away from the team imo.

Ben's personality gets to bounce off of different characters and his solo adventures do more interesting things with the character, like his recent book seems to be doing and Grimm Noir did. I know got married and has kids in the main book, but it feels too easy. Him and Alicia are instantly great parents and supportive spouses, there is no learning curve, no drama. It's milquetoast and boring imo.

Johnny is in his constant cycle of being immature and having to grow up. It's the only story he gets and it does absolutely nothing for the character. However, the times he shows in the Spider-Man he shows a lot of heart that you rarely see in the FF. Also, his brief tenure on the Avengers treated him like an adult. He was also grieving because he thought his family were dead, but that added some interesting introspection for him. Plus he got to interact with characters he doesn't usually get to, like Rogue, and their friendship was really nice.

Sue flourishes when she's away from team. So much so that it's kind of ridiculous. Her solo a couple years ago and the recent Deadpool team-up has done more for the character than the main Fantastic Four has done in literally over a decade. And I don't mean in terms of powers because that is all the character gets, a show of power. I mean actual characterization and developing her personality, something she desperately needs more than another power boost. In the FF book she does emotion labor for the other members and is just used as a tool to either throw a force-field at something or be there emotionally support the others. She isn't treated as her own, fully rounded person.

Reed is the only one who doesn't change much both in and out of the team, which doesn't disprove my point. If he operates the same outside of the team then why should the team stay together if it's holding back the others?

I love the Fantastic Four, but for a while now things haven't been working and this was even before Slott took on the book. I genuinely believe that most of them work a lot better individually. Right now I think they are together mostly due to their history and it's importance rather than it actually working and being the best for the characters.
    I think definitely having characters in solo and/or teaming-up with another character can display different sides to them or show them off in a way you're not used to when they're in their normal setting/team, although I don't think Sue was that different in the Deadpool story compared to normal, it was just her personality and powers contrasted with Deadpool's personality.

I think Reed can definitely come off differently depending on the book. The Illuminati are very different for him compared to when he's with his family, his talk with Daredevil on theology, etc.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I think definitely having characters in solo and/or teaming-up with another character can display different sides to them or show them off in a way you're not used to when they're in their normal setting/team, although I don't think Sue was that different in the Deadpool story compared to normal, it was just her personality and powers contrasted with Deadpool's personality.

I think Reed can definitely come off differently depending on the book. The Illuminati are very different for him compared to when he's with his family, his talk with Daredevil on theology, etc.
    !

I would never have thought of him as Reed, but totally he would be amazing!

Just a thought I've been having for a while and the recent Ben book and Deadpool/Sue team-up has kind of cemented it.

I think the Fantastic Four work better apart, as individuals nowadays. As a team things have gotten boring and repetitive. They don't grow and their adventures have the same plot beats and ending - The three buy time for Reed to make some invention to save the day. Rinse and Repeat.

Sue, Johnny, and Ben are all much better when they are away from the team imo.

Ben's personality gets to bounce off of different characters and his solo adventures do more interesting things with the character, like his recent book seems to be doing and Grimm Noir did. I know got married and has kids in the main book, but it feels too easy. Him and Alicia are instantly great parents and supportive spouses, there is no learning curve, no drama. It's milquetoast and boring imo.

Johnny is in his constant cycle of being immature and having to grow up. It's the only story he gets and it does absolutely nothing for the character. However, the times he shows in the Spider-Man he shows a lot of heart that you rarely see in the FF. Also, his brief tenure on the Avengers treated him like an adult. He was also grieving because he thought his family were dead, but that added some interesting introspection for him. Plus he got to interact with characters he doesn't usually get to, like Rogue, and their friendship was really nice.

Sue flourishes when she's away from team. So much so that it's kind of ridiculous. Her solo a couple years ago and the recent Deadpool team-up has done more for the character than the main Fantastic Four has done in literally over a decade. And I don't mean in terms of powers because that is all the character gets, a show of power. I mean actual characterization and developing her personality, something she desperately needs more than another power boost. In the FF book she does emotion labor for the other members and is just used as a tool to either throw a force-field at something or be there emotionally support the others. She isn't treated as her own, fully rounded person.

Reed is the only one who doesn't change much both in and out of the team, which doesn't disprove my point. If he operates the same outside of the team then why should the team stay together if it's holding back the others?

I love the Fantastic Four, but for a while now things haven't been working and this was even before Slott took on the book. I genuinely believe that most of them work a lot better individually. Right now I think they are together mostly due to their history and it's importance rather than it actually working and being the best for the characters.
    Their history together probably also limits who gets to do what, how much focus they get and whatnot, with Johnny and Ben usually getting the most of it, perhaps the writers, or maybe even editorial, are too lazy or dumb to consider developing stuff more.

Guess that's a weakness F4's team has, having mostly the same members makes them talk with other characters less, which can lead to less development, specially if their roles are so firmly established.

Which I guess is another reason why it's really dumb Future Foundation is gone lol.

To be fair, characters contrasting with each other is in itself a way to develop them, even if you they don't change the way they act too much, put two characters in the same situation and see how different they react to it, that is giving information who both of them are even if that's not pointed out.

The Deadpool team up had her be important to the story and it was fun to see her interact with Deadpool and briefly with villains you rarely see her with. She doesn't act different, but it's still much better than most FF stories that treat her like supporting cast at best and wallpaper at worst. I can count the number of Sue centred arcs in the FF on one hand.

Yeah Reed can be different outside too depending on the writer.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

The Deadpool team up had her be important to the story and it was fun to see her interact with Deadpool and briefly with villains you rarely see her with. She doesn't act different, but it's still much better than most FF stories that treat her like supporting cast at best and wallpaper at worst. I can count the number of Sue centred arcs in the FF on one hand.
    Oh, I totally understand wanting Sue to get more focus. At least we'll be getting another installment of her adventures with Deadpool .

Did anyone pick up the 60th anniversary tribute with the redrawn pages of FF 1 and Annual 3? I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed with the artistic variety, but that I think that's due to my unfamiliarity with many of those artists. I don't quite regret buying it, but outside of trying to find different artist styles and identifying them, it's underwhelming. It would have been nice to have seen some Sinnott work here, but I know the circumstances made that nearly impossible.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Well, I read Fantastic Four: Life Story #3 on Tuesday night (morning US) as soon as it was available on Unlimited.

And it hit me hard. As hard as when, 10 years ago, Johnny also sacrificed himself to save others. But while I felt an overwhelming sense of loss in 2001, this time I felt aside from the loss, a swell of pride in Johnny's character. His action was so noble, and it contrasted with the style of his narration, that I was glad he rose to the occasion. That I read it three months after it was released in print did not diminish my enjoyment, because I was in a particular state of mind on Tuesday that made it a perfect read before going to sleep and pondering about mortality.

There's so much I want to write about it, and compare it not only to Johnny's sacrifice under Hickman, but also with his near death experience in Strange Tales #112 by Stan Lee where, you guessed it, he also absorbed a nuclear blast. But on my Tumblr.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/...7679277690903/

Gorgeous new @THEBRYANHITCH variant cover to RECKONING WAR ALPHA released today!

This is where the Reckoning War kicks off! Can't wait for you all to see this!!!

So which race are they?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    G.I. Joe.

They look a lot like Skrulls

February solicits.

FANTASTIC FOUR: RECKONING WAR ALPHA #1
    DAN SLOTT (W) • CARLOS PACHECO (A/C)
    Variant Cover by BRYAN HITCH • Variant Cover by STEFANO CASELLI
    FIFTEEN YEARS IN THE MAKING — AND IT ALL KICKS OFF HERE!
    In a time before the Kree, Skrull or Shi'ar Empires. Before the emergence of Galactus. Before the birth of Asgard.
    There was the First War. The greatest war to ever rage across the Multiverse.
    Today, it is re-ignited. This is the Day of Reckoning.
    And all that stands between all of reality and revenge from the dawn of time are the heroes of Earth, the Fantastic Four and the mind of Mister Fantastic.
    Starring the FF, She-Hulk, Jack of Hearts, the Unseen, the Silver Surfer and everyone in the whole damn Marvel Universe.
    40 PGS./ONE-SHOT/Rated T+ …$4.99

FANTASTIC FOUR #40
    DAN SLOTT (W) • RACHAEL STOTT (A) • Cover by CARLOS PACHECO
    VARIANT COVER BY PHIL JIMENEZ • CONCEPT ART VARIANT COVER BY R.B. SILVA
    THE RECKONING WAR!
    The opening shot of the Reckoning War has left the Earth in complete and utter chaos.
    And it turns out that we are not alone. The entire universe is on fire.
    The enemy has had eons to prepare for this attack – Reed Richards has had two hours to mount a defense. Johnny Storm has gone full supernova. Sue Storm has become completely invisible – even the Watchers can't see her. And Colonel Ben Grimm, for the first time in a long time, is ready to go to war!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    G.I. Joe.

Hope this event is worth all the build up.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Did anyone pick up the 60th anniversary tribute with the redrawn pages of FF 1 and Annual 3? I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed with the artistic variety, but that I think that's due to my unfamiliarity with many of those artists. I don't quite regret buying it, but outside of trying to find different artist styles and identifying them, it's underwhelming. It would have been nice to have seen some Sinnott work here, but I know the circumstances made that nearly impossible.
    I did and I was disappointed too. The Porcupine appeared way back in Annual 3 briefly. Like you could see his back and that was it. Every other character was at least shown during the fight. This time he wasn’t even there. I was hoping he would be re-imagined and at least a part of the fight this time. The last page was very underwhelming. Like it was drawn quickly and just turned in. Did any of the artists know he appeared in Annual #3? I just wanted one good panel showing him like he was there.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I did pick this up and got the Jim Chueng variant cover which for my purposes was worth most of the price. I've already seen the Dynamic Forces web site asking $49.99 for it but then I think they are known for their high prices on things. I doubt I would sell my copy anyway. I would love for Marvel to make this into a poster someday.

As for the comic itself, I agree it was a mixed bag. IMO It was great to see Fantastic Four artists of the past like Walt Simonson, Carlos Pacheco and Steve Epting along with more recent artists like Aaron Kuder (not sure why he left Slott's run) revisit the title for a page or two. Also it's cool to see artists who haven't worked on the title like CAFU, ACO or Patrick Zircher do the Fantastic Four. Zircher is the current artist on Savage Avengers and would be great on the FF as regular artist IMO. The same goes with CAFU who is currently on Iron Man. I know there were quite a few more than that but those that I mention stand out a bit to me because IMO they are currently some of my favorites. Of course Zircher goes back to the original Thunderbolts run and back into the 1990s. One forgets how long he's been working in the industry.

I thought it was also interesting to see how many of the artists stuck pretty close to Jack Kirby's panel layout, like in the page where the rocket ship gets bombarded with cosmic rays. This is done by Chris Sprouse, an artist I am not familiar with and he does something different by stacking the first 3 panels as opposed to the 6 panel grid that Kirby chose. I think it was a good choice to allow the artists to vary from the original because it some cases may be a better layout. Of course, your mileage may vary

I think Fantastic Four Annual #3 was the first Fantastic Four annual I read many years ago when our father bought it off the newstand. It's still one of my favorites. It is just so packed with different characters, some of which aren't even used much anymore although at least the real Nick Fury is no longer sitting up there on the Moon these days. There are always those that say Vince Coletta ruined a lot of Kirby's work by erasing things for the sake of meeting a deadline. Here we do see Kirby's layouts tinkered with a bit. Kirby seemed tireless in those days and it wasn't a big deal for him to pack his panels with a lot of people. Jim Chueng took on the challenge of recreating his cover and does a stellar job. But one can imagine Kirby did his cover in less time since he was so fast. One thing that is a noticeably different is the quality of the coloring. The technology just wasn't there in Kirby's days.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-23-2021 at 06:10 PM.

I was wondering about this FF #1 Tribute book. Glad I didn't get it, sounds interesting at best. And that overbearing coloring! I like Chis Sprouse, but the coloring here overwhelms his art. And I am sure it is too dark in print. As too many modern comics are.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I was wondering about this FF #1 Tribute book. Glad I didn't get it, sounds interesting at best. And that overbearing coloring! I like Chis Sprouse, but the coloring here overwhelms his art. And I am sure it is too dark in print. As too many modern comics are.
    "Interesting at best" is an assessment I'd agree with. I haven't gone so far as to lay the stories out side by side to compare, but that would be the optimal way to read this. And seeing pages meant to be actual copies as opposed to homages where there's at least some updating and character replacement, works best when it's an artist that can show something new in the page. And considering Jack Kirby is the source, that's a tall order.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?