Page 31 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I am bit worried about that guy if he sees Doom's mask in a cathedral

For the curious and those who didn't follow this mini series, here's what went down in Maestro: War & Pax #5

****************************** SPOILERS AHEAD ************************************************** ***************

First off, I think most of the time a mini series runs 6 issues but in this case we only get 5. Perhaps PAD didn't have enough story to stretch into one more issue.

The concluding chapter reveals that Maestro and Doom had formed a covert alliance with the plan being that all the obstacles that were in their way would be eliminated. This was all accomplished by the Maestro in the previous issues. Former allies like the Pantheon were killed along with this Earth's A.I.M. One would expect that Doom would then dispose of this temporary ally and take all the marbles himself. And Maestro expected this too. Apparently Doom had hoped that the Pantheon or AIM would eliminate the Maestro and clear the way for Doom to rule all and he wouldn't have to worry about maintaining an alliance with the Maestro. That turns out to be a near fatal miscalculation.

One thing I did like is that we get yet another in a long history of Doom sitting down to a fine meal with a friend, foe or some other interested party. But once the meal begins, Maestro reveals he has poisoned the wine that Doom is drinking. Turns out Doom had suspected that Maestro had no interest in sharing power and had taken an antitoxin to thwart the poisoning attempt. Never mind that there is never a time when Maestro would have had the opportunity to poison anything since he just finishing off the Pantheon and A.I.M. in the previous issue. I find these little loopholes annoying and a little too convenient. .

After a brief battle Maestro and Doom pretty seem evenly matched. Maestro is able to lure Doom into a pair of large electromagnets which rips the armor from his body. Now in the panel prior to this Doom was scanning the floors of the deserted Alchemax building to find Maestro. Seems to me his armor would have detected two over-sized electromagnets. But I digress. After that Maestro just uses his fists to give Doom a severe beating. Luckily for him he still has his mystical powers and is able to teleport away to avoid any further injuries. Or maybe there was a matter transmitter embedded in his mask. Doesn't matter.

I don't know why I expected more from PAD and this series but found it to be a bit of a letdown.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-28-2021 at 08:55 PM.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Agreed with the criticisms 100%. Plus, the bulk of the book was two unrelated story pages behind the main story, one was back story I think. However, the opening sequence of Doom calmly sitting his throne, then inviting Maestro to eat was pure Doom panache. Golden. I was surprised how easily Doom gained an upper hand until Maestro was able to angle his descent (fly? Hulk can't fly) into the Alchemax building. That was convenient. Doom could have launched him into space at that point. Lost opportunities.
    Oh well.

At least there is a God Emperor Doom figure coming out in August!
    Marvel Legends Super Villains God Emperor Dr. Doom 3.jpg
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

BTW ... that the figure comes with a Thanos skull and spine is *PRICELESS*
    Marvel Legends Super Villains God Emperor Dr. Doom 6.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

I should be getting mine soon from Gamestop where I pre-ordered. I saw Christopher Cantwell's tweet and he has his already!

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Agreed with the criticisms 100%. Plus, the bulk of the book was two unrelated story pages behind the main story, one was back story I think. However, the opening sequence of Doom calmly sitting his throne, then inviting Maestro to eat was pure Doom panache. Golden. I was surprised how easily Doom gained an upper hand until Maestro was able to angle his descent (fly? Hulk can't fly) into the Alchemax building. That was convenient. Doom could have launched him into space at that point. Lost opportunities.
    Yeah, I thought those 2 interludes or whatever they were at the end were just filler. I can't see any reason why they were needed for this story. Why not have an extended scene with their dinner or their final conflict?

Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    At least there is a God Emperor Doom figure coming out in August!
    Marvel Legends Super Villains God Emperor Dr. Doom 3.jpg
    So it's August now? for some reason I thought it would be sooner.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-28-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I should be getting mine soon from Gamestop where I pre-ordered. I saw Christopher Cantwell's tweet and he has his already!

Yeah, I thought those 2 interludes or whatever they were at the end were just filler. I can't see any reason why they were needed for this story. Why not have an extended scene with their dinner or their final conflict?

Oh well.

So it's August now? for some reason I thought it would be sooner.
    Certain retailers already have em, mine arrived from Entertainment Earth earlier this week!

Quote Originally Posted by spike1228 View Post
    Certain retailers already have em, mine arrived from Entertainment Earth earlier this week!
    Thanks.....I guess mine could come just about anytime, depending on when Gamestop gets their consignment.

BANNED

Doctor Doom fans should check out MARAUDERS #21. Doom shows up at the Hellfire Gala and he's a total delight in the issue. I am not gonna spoil it but this panel presented without context shows you all you need to expect.

Marauders Hellfire Gala 1 Doom.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Doctor Doom fans should check out MARAUDERS #21. Doom shows up at the Hellfire Gala and he's a total delight in the issue. I am not gonna spoil it but this panel presented without context shows you all you need to expect.

Marauders Hellfire Gala 1 Doom.jpg
    Thanks! I didn't put it on my list at the LCS but will be going there soon. I will be sure to look for it!

BANNED

Thanks! I didn't put it on my list at the LCS but will be going there soon. I will be sure to look for it!
    There's also a small cameo by Doom in the background in a splash page of X-Force #20.

It's kind of funny, it has Doom holding a flagon (with a D on it) while Strange portals some mead into it.

X-Force Hellfire Gala - Doom cameo.jpg

I'll follow Doom through the Hellfire Gala and talk about sightings but his presence in Marauders (and also FF) is a lot more substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    There's also a small cameo by Doom in the background in a splash page of X-Force #20.

It's kind of funny, it has Doom holding a flagon (with a D on it) while Strange portals some mead into it.

X-Force Hellfire Gala - Doom cameo.jpg

I'll follow Doom through the Hellfire Gala and talk about sightings but his presence in Marauders (and also FF) is a lot more substantial.
    I could always get the X-Force one later when it pops up on Marvel Unlimited. Thanks for that panel though. I love to see Victor and Stephen together again on better terms...the last time was in Cantwell's series. I can't keep up with alll these X-titles! I will be getting Hickman's (last?) X-Men issue next week.

Okay now I don't think any of this post will be a spoiler. It does look like Doom is having his version of a good time. I like how unimpressed he was with the musical number. I also think he has good reason to be suspicious of Krakoa and the intentions of the inner circle there (forgot the name they call it)

But.....when did Henry Gyrich work for Latveria??

And who is this guy next to Doom? I am so out of touch with the X-titles I don't know who most of these characters are in their formal wear. I guess that's Kitty in the red dress and eye makeup??

And who is this guy next to Doom?

That's Colossus I think. Is that Conon O'brine on the right?

spoilers:
    I never expected to see Doom laugh hysterically like in this issue. I love it.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Okay now I don't think any of this post will be a spoiler. It does look like Doom is having his version of a good time. I like how unimpressed he was with the musical number. I also think he has good reason to be suspicious of Krakoa and the intentions of the inner circle there (forgot the name they call it)

But.....when did Henry Gyrich work for Latveria??
    If you are talking about Gyrich bantering with Cap about Latverian dinners, that's basically a reference to invites to Latverian diplomatic summits where US delegates are invited to banquets and so on. Gyrich is currently working for Orchis, which is the major anti-mutant organization though it's not clear if Doom is involved with that.

The Hellfire Gala is kind of a diplomatic state visit of the kind many nations throw and also (because Emma Frost) a kind of fashion show modeled on the Met Gala.

And who is this guy next to Doom? I am so out of touch with the X-titles I don't know who most of these characters are in their formal wear. I guess that's Kitty in the red dress and eye makeup??
    Yeah Kitty's in red, and the guy with the beard is Colossus.

There are also celebrity cameos, i.e. real-world celebrities. And creator cameos as well. Like in HELLIONS (where Doom isn't there) you have Zeb Wells cameo (alongside his wife, SNL star Heidi Gardner, which is a really cool move by him).

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Yeah that's Conan.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Doom in this issue is 100% that guy in parties or functions, and at some point we have known that guy or been that guy, so he's quite relatable, and infectious in this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Me too. If Doom drinks a little too much things might get really wacky

About the red headed guy in the white tux, I was also thinking it was Conan.

I was hoping that Doom would wear something more flashy and ornate for this. But maybe this is his way showing his low opinion of the gala and he just wore just the standard version of his armor.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-02-2021 at 03:38 PM.