Page 39 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    He sort of disappears now and then. But I really liked the look artist Kris Anka gave him. Very stylish! Issue #100 is coming up (from combining all previous volumes) and it looks like the series might be coming to an end unfortunately. I hope Doombot doesn't become
    an orphaned character that never appears again.

That is a sharp dressed Doombot!

I have Marvel U. I need to read that run. I remember reading the first issues of Avengers AI and liking it. But I didn't follow him over into Runaways.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    That is a sharp dressed Doombot!

I have Marvel U. I need to read that run. I remember reading the first issues of Avengers AI and liking it. But I didn't follow him over into Runaways.
    Like I said to Ray, Doombot doesn't appear in all the issues but it's still an entertaining series to read. Writer Rainbow Rowell really masters his unique voice. He makes his grand entrance in issue #8

spoilers:
    Storm was way too aggressive in todays issue of SWORD. I think the "Voice of Sol" should be more diplomatic than that. While Doom was egotistical he was by far the more civilized person in this dinner.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Doom'nGloom; 07-28-2021 at 08:04 AM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Al Ewing also addressed the issue of when is it Doom himself or Doombot in his Loki - Agent of Asgard series when Loki asks Doom why do all the Doombots look him. So here you have Doom saying he allowed Arcade to strike the match on his armor. So now I am curious how Ewing handles the rest of this conversation goes with Storm about him sending a Doombot in his place. Will Ewing have Storm will call him out on that or will she just ignore it?
    after reading today's issue I see it as him just being facetious and demeaning. they both know it was he who was foul during their initial meeting and not a doombot. he was trying to play storm for a fool which is why she responded the way she did after his condescending tone he had with her.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    after reading today's issue I see it as him just being facetious and demeaning. they both know it was he who was foul during their initial meeting and not a doombot. he was trying to play storm for a fool which is why she responded the way she did after his condescending tone he had with her.
    I don't agree. I think he does have some regard for Storm. And they did leave they left on good terms in that story. He was being a bit contrite and probably would have never brought it up if she hadn't gone there. And then he brings up her marriage to BP as a bit if payback. Probably both of them would rather forget those respective events. And I think she should take his warnings seriously since they may be getting into something that will be over their heads. He has far more knowledge and experience than most of the X-Men, Sorcerer Supreme level skills.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-28-2021 at 03:25 PM.

I don't agree. I think he does have some regard for Storm. And they did leave they left on good terms in that story. He was being a bit contrite and probably would have never brought it up if she hadn't gone there. And then he brings up her marriage to BP as a bit if payback. Probably both of them would rather forget those respective events. And I think she should take his warnings seriously since they may be getting into something that will be over their heads. He has far more knowledge and experience that most of the X-Men, Sorcerer Supreme level skills.
    I won't get into is more wise. if he was as wise as you've said certainly he would have known lying about past aggressions including doomwar and the arcade events, talking to her in a condescending manner and as a child wouldn't go over well. doom was doom but any regard he has wouldn't excuse the tone he has led this issue. that said, I do think he had some advice that was worth adhering to. the delivery was just awful.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I won't get into is more wise. if he was as wise as you've said certainly he would have known lying about past aggressions including doomwar and the arcade events, talking to her in a condescending manner and as a child wouldn't go over well. doom was doom but any regard he has wouldn't excuse the tone he has led this issue. that said, I do think he had some advice that was worth adhering to. the delivery was just awful.

I really don't see where is tone any different to how Doom talks to just about everyone. In fact it is more courteous than how he talks to the FF. That he offered her some of his knowledge and advice shows a lot more respect and is not being condescending. I think the jury is still out about the Doombot in that story. Sure, Ewing changed it many years later but usually the events that are accepted are those that happened in Fantastic Four are higher up in canon. And Byrne is considered one of the best FF runs after Stan and Jack.

I don't think in the grand scheme it was that big of a deal. Obviously Doom was lying about the Doombot/Chrome thing which is why he didn't even expect dinner and such a nice setting but once he was in it he played it up and tried to act like it was a doombot and course correct. At no point do i think Ororo was overly aggressive, Doom knew he was having dinner with a living Storm and Storm knew she was having dinner with Doctor Doom. It was a great scene and it was what it was. We don't need to apply negative connotations to either character here for being in character.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I don't think in the grand scheme it was that big of a deal. Obviously Doom was lying about the Doombot/Chrome thing which is why he didn't even expect dinner and such a nice setting but once he was in it he played it up and tried to act like it was a doombot and course correct. At no point do i think Ororo was overly aggressive, Doom knew he was having dinner with a living Storm and Storm knew she was having dinner with Doctor Doom. It was a great scene and it was what it was. We don't need to apply negative connotations to either character here for being in character.
    I do think she was being a bit less courteous lets say. Usually when Doom has guests for dinner there is a sort of a truce. And he does have a kind of roguish charm at times. Haven't you ever wondered though why do so many accept his invitations? You'd think they'd be worried about getting poisoned or something.

After all he provided the FF and the X-Men a nice buffet when Kitty was cured. I think the heroes just like to get the free food and drinks

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-28-2021 at 04:30 PM.

I really don't see where is tone any different to how Doom talks to just about everyone. In fact it is more courteous than how he talks to the FF. That he offered her some of his knowledge and advice shows a lot more respect and is not being condescending. I think the jury is still out about the Doombot in that story. Sure, Ewing changed it many years later but usually the events that are accepted are those that happened in Fantastic Four are higher up in canon. And Byrne is considered one of the best FF runs after Stan and Jack.
    I'm not saying the tone was different with storm. that's why I said doom was doom; he was being himself which in this case was showcased by his condescending and arrogant tone.

ewing retconned the retcon so for me the verdict is in. I think Bryne had issue with how doom was portrayed by Claremont. however, Ewing handled their interaction similarly with this encounter so what Byrne was looking to correct Ewing cemented with this issue. nevertheless, if doom really wanted her to heed his words and truly receive them his approach should have been different especially considering their history.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    spoilers:
    Storm was way too aggressive in todays issue of SWORD. I think the "Voice of Sol" should be more diplomatic than that. While Doom was egotistical he was by far the more civilized person in this dinner.
    end of spoilers
    Doom is right!! Just asks Namor about it

I'm not saying the tone was different with storm. that's why I said doom was doom; he was being himself which in this case was showcased by his condescending and arrogant tone.

ewing retconned the retcon so for me the verdict is in. I think Bryne had issue with how doom was portrayed by Claremont. however, Ewing handled their interaction similarly with this encounter so what Byrne was looking to correct Ewing cemented with this issue. nevertheless, if doom really wanted her to heed his words and truly receive them his approach should have been different especially considering their history.
    I actually get it though. Even if you reference the first story for all intents and purposes to Doctor Doom despite attraction, despite status, despite the respect he has for Ororo she is still a child in his eyes. If we move on the time scale of story that rogue storm story couldn't have been more than five years in world at the most so in a lot of ways i get where Doom was coming from but Storm isn't the one. It's been said many times her soul is older than time itself. Doom doesn't understand that and the man in the iron mask gave way to what he saw before him. I loved it personally.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Storm is talking to a true, if corrupt, genius in the MU. Ewing is giving the reader (and Storm) a very important info dump about what they may be facing. She should listen and learn. Few people have Doom's level and scope of knowledge. He is master of science and sorcery. He's probably even holding some stuff back from her.

This is his library of arcana.......what does she have to match that?

As for John Byrne, he much is higher up in the hierarchy of Marvel writers. His Fantastic Four run is considered a classic. Ewing story in that Loki series is fairly obscure by comparison. And it's always possible that someone else will retcon the retcons.

Are you sad that Doom didn't get married?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

No not sad.

In the meantime, in the absence of a CBR article about dining with Doom, I found this post from The Peerless Power of Comics blog, a site I sometimes visit.

Come Dine With Doom
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES