Page 20 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Most of my comic book fandom has been invested in the action figure lately or the Funko Pops. There will be another C2E2, which is tentatively schedule for December. Of course that depends on the status of the pandemic. I doubt I will attend. The last one I went to was in 2019 and it was last time I briefly chatted with Hickman. The buzz going around the convention was that the announcement about what his new project would be was going to be announce at 1pm IIRC. That was when the news broke that he would be taking over the X-Men. Now that Hickman has gone on to masterminding the X-Men's corner of the MU, he will be very busy if he goes to the convention. I first met him at the April 2011 convention when he was into his 2nd year on the Fantastic Four. I mentioned to him how the John Byrne characters like Nathaniel Richards and Kristoff have been very neglected. I brought it up because Hickman brought back Nathaniel earlier in his run in issue #581. If you recall later on we did see Kristoff become regent for a time in Hickman's Fantastic Four I doubt that I can take credit for getting Kristoff back in the Fantastic Four knowing how far in advance Hickman makes his plans. ;-)
    Great to meet him several times!.....i don't believe he would visit Holland (but You never know) and i don't think i would go to England,if he ever attended a con over there.
    Well,the use of Kristoff is a nice coincidence...and talking about Nathaniel and Kristoff with Hickman himself sounds like a great experience!

Amazing Member

Yeah,i noticed that article too....it is nice if parts of an event have more "meat" on them.....we'll have to wait,if it will make it any better.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

If Jason Aaron is putting this together than I don't have very much confidence. I dropped his Avengers when we kept getting the dumbed down She-Hulk. He did have a fun Doom story in his Incredible Hulk where he does brain surgery at the Hulk's request because he wants to be separated from anything of Banner in him. Doom also creates a clone body to house everything of Banner's part of their shared brain. But that was about 10 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Mist@doom View Post
    Great to meet him several times!.....i don't believe he would visit Holland (but You never know) and i don't think i would go to England,if he ever attended a con over there.
    Well,the use of Kristoff is a nice coincidence...and talking about Nathaniel and Kristoff with Hickman himself sounds like a great experience!
    I don't know if Marvel does any of the conventions in Europe. I am never sure if it is up to the comic book professionals to pay for their own expenses or if the convention pays some of it to entice guests. Do they have any big conventions on the continent or perhaps in Great Britain?
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-05-2021 at 10:00 AM.

There were a couple of Doom appearances so far this month, well one of the is the Doombot from Runaways. Nothing much there, just a couple of panels just to show that he is still with them in the Hostel. Moving on the the second issue of PAD's Maestro: War and Pax #2 Doom does have a small bit in this but I'm sure he will play a larger role soon. He gets inside the Pantheons HQ using his time platform in a creative way. They won't let him when he appears at their doorstep but he simply transports himself in. It's a bit weird but I suppose not beyond Doom to use it for transport for both time and space. I will stick with this until the final issue because I've always found PAD to be an interesting writer. Also, I did enjoy his "Old Man Doom" in X-Factor some years back. Naturally Doom is being a bit cagey here and I'm sure before too long he will take over this group or at the very least run roughshod over them.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-05-2021 at 03:37 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    If Jason Aaron is putting this together than I don't have very much confidence. I dropped his Avengers when we kept getting the dumbed down She-Hulk. He did have a fun Doom story in his Incredible Hulk where he does brain surgery at the Hulk's request because he wants to be separated from anything of Banner in him. Doom also creates a clone body to house everything of Banner's part of their shared brain. But that was about 10 years ago

I don't know if Marvel does any of the conventions in Europe. I am never sure if it is up to the comic book professionals to pay for their own expenses or if the convention pays some of it to entice guests. Do they have any big conventions on the continent or perhaps in Great Britain?
    Ah yes!...the Doctor operating with a chainsaw....i bought the most issues of that story-line,when i was shopping in Belgium around 9 years ago.
    I'm not sure...the con's in europe aren't Marvel-centric,i think,but in Holland we had (some) comic related talent,
    Last edited by Mist@doom; 03-05-2021 at 11:29 AM.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Doctor Doom from Skottie Young.jpg

This little guy arrived today, designed by Skottie Young. From Diamond's Gentle Giant Ltd. group. I'd actually forgotten I'd ordered it. A bit smaller than I expected. But, it's ok. Not my favorite Doom design.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DoomScribe; 03-12-2021 at 05:49 PM.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Never Gonna Give You Up by Doom! (Courtesy Dan Slott)

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1370743738931277830
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Never Gonna Give You Up by Doom! (Courtesy Dan Slott)

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/1370743738931277830
    That is both fascinating and horrifying. But you can't look away.
    "Because ... I am Doom

It's like the visual equivalent of an ear worm!

In other news, for those of you that were perhaps trade waiting, the second volume of the Doctor Doom series collection is available. I got mine shipped on Friday. Tony crashed the book arrival party

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

As usual, LOVE your displays of DOOOOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post

This little guy arrived today, designed by Skottie Young. From Diamond's Gentle Giant Ltd. group. I'd actually forgotten I'd ordered it. A bit smaller than I expected. But, it's ok. Not my favorite Doom design.
    Oh my. That's adorable! I may have to track that one down.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Two new Dooms arrived today. One my LCS ordered for me, and I'm glad they did because I didn't know it existed. Both are from Heroclix (the game playing figures - I don't play, but I do collect the Dooms of which there have been lots!).
    The first one is from a set of six - the Heroclix Future Foundation Fast Forces set -
    Heroclix Fantastic Four Future Foundation Fast Forces six pack box 2021.jpg
    An interesting choice of blue for Doom's tunic
    Heroclix Fantastic Four Future Foundation Dr Doom 2021.jpg

The other one is a paintable version - and a slightly different sculpt from the FF one, so a nice treat. This is the one my local shop held for me. They had two so I bought both, one to paint the other to preserve. I will share once I've painted it if I don't muck it up (it is very small!).
    Heroclix paintable Dr Doom 005.jpg
    "Because ... I am Doom

That Hero Click Doom might be a coloring mistake or something. The only time I can think of when he wore blue was during the Claremont FF run but I think even that was just on the cover.

In other news, several days ago Marvel made a press release about Doom's upcoming marriage. I never really saw it pop up on a news alert except yesterday it appeared on the Bleeding Cool and Screen Rants site.

From Marvel's press release:

Reed Richards and Sue Storm. Scott Summers and Jean Grey. These iconic Marvel Comics weddings will pale in comparison to the Wedding of Doctor Doom!

This June, writer Dan Slott and artist R.B. Silva invite readers to attend the nuptials of Victor Von Doom and his most devoted and noble subject, Victorious, in FANTASTIC FOUR #33. The second chapter in the upcoming “BRIDE OF DOOM” arc, FANTASTIC FOUR #33 will feature guest stars galore such as Prince Namor and Black Panther and pack a gut punch of an ending that no one will see coming. Check out Mark Brooks’ cover below!

Fantastic Four #33
    FANTASTIC FOUR (2018) #33
    Just in time for the 60th anniversary of Marvel’s First Family, “THE BRIDE OF DOOM” arc is just the latest thrill ride in Slott and Silva’s masterful run on FANTASTIC FOUR and promises to be the next iconic story in the Fantastic Four mythos.

Don’t dare to miss FANTASTIC FOUR #33 when it hits stands on Wednesday, June 2!

For the latest news about all upcoming comics, stay tuned to Marvel.com!

Here's the cover by Mark Brooks. At least Doom looks a little less like a Nazi general in this one. Why in the world are Ben, Reed and Johnny dressed like they've been cast for the remake of The Prisoner of Zenda??

I don't think I'm the only one that isn't surprised and feels underwhelmed by this announcement. She would have been the betting favorite I think among the readers on this forum. There's got to be a pretty significant age gap here. In the Doctor Doom series we had Doom writing in his journal that Zora is like the daughter he never had. Now he wants her for his wife. Sheesh. Can Slott get any more cliched?

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-21-2021 at 09:15 AM.

Yeah, the marriage to Victorious is gag-worthy. Hardly qualifies for a "masterful run". Maybe it's the hyperbole that makes me gag.

Anyway, onto more fun things, like the Heroclix Dr Doom that I just finished painting:
    2021-03-20 13.37.23.jpg

The "power" thing was really hard to paint, because you want it to be translucent but really can't do that with paint, and I didn't have a proper purple to begin with. Well, it was a pleasant distraction for a cloudy Saturday morning at least.
    "Because ... I am Doom

Yeah, the marriage to Victorious is gag-worthy. Hardly qualifies for a "masterful run". Maybe it's the hyperbole that makes me gag.
    Whoever wrote that press release comes across as so amateurish, it's veers into the direction of wretched excess. And can we make a prediction right up front and say this "wedding" will be either a fake or nullified in some way pretty quickly. Maybe it will turn out to be a Doombot.

Anyway, onto more fun things, like the Heroclix Dr Doom that I just finished painting:
    2021-03-20 13.37.23.jpg[/URL]

The "power" thing was really hard to paint, because you want it to be translucent but really can't do that with paint, and I didn't have a proper purple to begin with. Well, it was a pleasant distraction for a cloudy Saturday morning at least.
    You have a more steady hand then I do to paint something that small! I think the only way to have carried off that power effect would be to get something from fluorescent paint range, like on this British model paint company site. They do have their products available on Amazon Maybe Testors has something along those lines. I don't know how much blending you can do with model paint. My oldest brother used to do a lot of work with lead soldiers and the like, some from the Napoleonic era. That was a big thing for a while. IIRC they were about the size of the Hero Clicks, maybe a bit smaller

I forgot to comment on this. I also debated on getting this one and passed. I am getting the Doctor Doom mini bust which IIRC ships April 30th from Diamond Select. I'm sure you're getting this one too.

But that Scottie Young figure always reminded me of something and then I finally found it. It's from a Skottie Young variant cover for Avengers & X-Men: Axis #1. One of the C2E2 cons I went to had a bunch of prints of this at the Marvel both as free giveaways. I scooped up the Secret Wars variant he did and the Axis one he did. One day I want to find a frame for both of them because they are cute but they are an odd size....6 1/2 X 10 inches. Thought you might like to know the background on this figure. If I ever seen one at a good price on eBay or something I just might get this one.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-22-2021 at 05:30 PM.