Page 38 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Due to a recommendation I recently read F4 The Master of Doom and while it has some cool Doom showings it's just weird that someone like Doom is calling another master. Are there other appearances of this Marquis of Death guy or is he created just for this story? Overall I don't think I like the story.
    And you'd be right for not liking it. I have to confess I've never been a fan of Mark Millar and his success in getting films produced is a bit baffling to me. But maybe it's mostly due to Matthew Vaughn. Perhaps with Millar I don't get the sense that he had a great interest in the MU and preferred the DC stuff anyway.

Let me ask you one thing. Would the same Doom who challenged the Beyonder throw a big reception and bow down to the Marquis of Death? And wait for permission to get up again? BTW the Marquis of Death is the adult version of a brain damaged comic book fan from Millar's 1985 mini series. He was a powerful mutant and frightened his mother when he brought his father back from the dead with his powers. So she hit him in the head with a candlestick.

On a side note, I thought it was sad how the Marquis of Death kills Ben's Aunt Petunia as an afterthought.....and then it is never mentioned again. She just recently popped up in Slott's FF IIRC.

Yeah. If there is one character trait that defined Doom since his inception it's the fact that he won't bow to anyone which is why I don't understand what Millar was going for. Is he known for misrepresenting characters. It was the same with Ironman and Reed in Civil War.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    And you'd be right for not liking it. I have to confess I've never been a fan of Mark Millar and his success in getting films produced is a bit baffling to me. But maybe it's mostly due to Matthew Vaughn. Perhaps with Millar I don't get the sense that he had a great interest in the MU and preferred the DC stuff anyway.

Let me ask you one thing. Would the same Doom who challenged the Beyonder throw a big reception and bow down to the Marquis of Death? And wait for permission to get up again? BTW the Marquis of Death is the adult version of a brain damaged comic book fan from Millar's 1985 mini series. He was a powerful mutant and frightened his mother when he brought his father back from the dead with his powers. So she hit him in the head with a candlestick.

On a side note, I thought it was sad how the Marquis of Death kills Ben's Aunt Petunia as an afterthought.....and then it is never mentioned again. She just recently popped up in Slott's FF IIRC.

Oh dear god. I was just forgetting how awful that Millar run was.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Yeah. If there is one character trait that defined Doom since his inception it's the fact that he won't bow to anyone which is why I don't understand what Millar was going for. Is he known for misrepresenting characters. It was the same with Ironman and Reed in Civil War.
    Yes, that is another good example. I like Tony Stark as a character but there is no way that Reed would say he looks up to him. Of course Millar and Bendis ignored it but during Walt Simonson's run the entire FF testified in a congressional hearing to voice their objections to a superhero registration act.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Oh dear god. I was just forgetting how awful that Millar run was.
    There were some terrible covers which he probably captioned. I know there is more awful stuff but I don't feel like revisiting it.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-24-2021 at 12:07 PM.

Preview pages from the conclusion to the Bride of Doom..... the art is the only good thing about this.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

So, Doom is on the "Leave No Witness Alive" trope to speak of the dishonor. Talk about overkill.

Javier Rodriguez tweeted this variant cover:

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

AIPT has the preview of S.W.O.R.D. #7 with the latest iteration of "My dinner with Doom" starring Ororo. Balls for her to mention the chrome statue fiasco. But a diplomatic response from Doom.

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    G.I. Joe.

And Doombots in Kang the Conqueror #1!

"一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    G.I. Joe.

Thanks for posting those previews Ravin' Ray

I'd seen the Sword #7 Preview with the dialog added and I did get a kick out of Doom mentioning him encasing her in chrome. I emailed to Brian Cronin to suggest that he revisit this incident since he had an "Abandoned and Forsaken" column about it

It all starts out with X-Men #145. In this story, Doom's castle in upstate New York, which he had pretty much abandoned since FF#5, had been turned into a sinister "amusement park" by Arcade Doom is not to thrilled with the idea and had Arcade as his captive. So the X-Men show up to rescue Arcade for reasons I forget...probably they just want to take Arcade prisoner for some other transgression. Doom and Storm sit down to dinner to discuss the issue and only to be surprised by Arcades's appearance. Turns out he and Doom are temporary allies (Doom turns him over to the X-Men at the conclusion of the story)

One panel in the Chris Claremont's story catches the attention of John Byrne who is currently working on the Fantastic Four.

John Byrne decides to answer this affront to Doom's personage in Fantastic Four #259. But things don't end there....

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-26-2021 at 03:04 PM.

Al Ewing also addressed the issue of when is it Doom himself or Doombot in his Loki - Agent of Asgard series when Loki asks Doom why do all the Doombots look him. So here you have Doom saying he allowed Arcade to strike the match on his armor. So now I am curious how Ewing handles the rest of this conversation goes with Storm about him sending a Doombot in his place. Will Ewing have Storm will call him out on that or will she just ignore it?

I prefer it not being a Doombot as Doom letting Arcade strike a match on him just to keep the whole is-it-doom-or-just-a-doombot thing going is hilarious to me. I think Doom is similarly messing with Ororo though I won't object it being a Doombot as Doom says.

Amazing Member

I prefer it not being a Doombot as Doom letting Arcade strike a match on him just to keep the whole is-it-doom-or-just-a-doombot thing going is hilarious to me. I think Doom is similarly messing with Ororo though I won't object it being a Doombot as Doom says.
    I like that it was a Doombot that Arcade interacted with to avoid contradicting Byrne's later story (and excellent characterization IMO), plus part of Doom's character is he never directly lies. One way to reconcile all this is that he was telling the truth to Loki, in that he allowed a match to be struck on "me" but in that context, Doom considered "me" to really refer to the larger community of Doombots that he programs to have some element of randomness or autonomy so they cannot be easily identified as robots and will even do weird stuff on purpose.

The issue with Loki was interesting in that Doom explained how the story of Doom effectively made him like a god, plus he had transferred his mind so many times there was no way to know what actions were/weren't his. He even said that if he was a Doombot right then, he wouldn't even know it! Very hilarious at a meta level.

Quote Originally Posted by megatillo View Post
    I like that it was a Doombot that Arcade interacted with to avoid contradicting Byrne's later story (and excellent characterization IMO), plus part of Doom's character is he never directly lies. One way to reconcile all this is that he was telling the truth to Loki, in that he allowed a match to be struck on "me" but in that context, Doom considered "me" to really refer to the larger community of Doombots that he programs to have some element of randomness or autonomy so they cannot be easily identified as robots and will even do weird stuff on purpose.

The issue with Loki was interesting in that Doom explained how the story of Doom effectively made him like a god, plus he had transferred his mind so many times there was no way to know what actions were/weren't his. He even said that if he was a Doombot right then, he wouldn't even know it! Very hilarious at a meta level.
    I really liked that part of Ewing's work on that too, particularly the part about Doom's story and the strength of it. I should post about my favorite Doombots. There are a couple of them that have led lives of their own and developed a self-awareness, like Doombot in Runaways
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-26-2021 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    There are a couple of them that have lead lives of their own and developed a self-awareness, like Doombot in Runaways
    I haven't kept up much with Doombot post Avengers A.I. except for spoilers for that future Avengers story. So I just read this ScreenRant story where he is the guardian/chaperone for the Runaways! I gotta read that on Unlimited.
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    G.I. Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I haven't kept up much with Doombot post Avengers A.I. except for spoilers for that future Avengers story. So I just read this ScreenRant story where he is the guardian/chaperone for the Runaways! I gotta read that on Unlimited.
    He sort of disappears now and then. But I really liked the look artist Kris Anka gave him. Very stylish! Issue #100 is coming up (from combining all previous volumes) and it looks like the series might be coming to an end unfortunately. I hope Doombot doesn't become
    an orphaned character that never appears again.