Page 13 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Seeing Doom in GOTG just made me get caught up in this run on comixology and binge it.... This book is really good!! I can’t wait for Doom to arrive!

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

The previous Doom vs the Guardians was somewhat underwhelming - GOTG issues 34 to 39, the last issue being the wolverine adamantium skeleton reveal.

GOTG 39.jpg
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Happy Valentine's Day!

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Awwww....I like these valentines you guys found the one with Wanda and Victor is so cute! And what can you say about Doom and Namor....we need these 2 in a story together again!

Fantastic Member

Gotg or not, it's difficult to get enthusiastic about a character who killed a Universe, including a betterversion of his own self. That's too much 'nuance' and 'character development' for my taste.

I'll pass.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xcoijoi View Post
    Gotg or not, it's difficult to get enthusiastic about a character who killed a Universe, including a betterversion of his own self. That's too much 'nuance' and 'character development' for my taste.

I'll pass.
    I honestly think Ewing will address it in some way to make Doom more palatable. It's either that, or he'll frame the plot in a way that even working with someone as reprehensible and vile as a mass murder is necessary to save far more lives.

Obviously, I'm not the biggest Doom fan, but I wouldn't want this level of atrocity hanging over Doom's head. If Thanos wipes out a universe that's fine, but not Doom. At least not for such simplistic reasons as not being able to countenance his own shortcomings during the briefest of exchanges. Reed may have primed him, and Good Doom may have acted as an accelerant, but an adult, let alone a ruling monarch, has to have better restraint than that.

I almost feel like Cantwell was going for a Michael Corleone rise to Godfather unveiling with various sequences of violent and, in his eyes, necessarily despicable acts proving to be Doom's crowning moment. But he went too far in wiping out the "Good Mirror" universe.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

A day late but I found a few Doom Valentines on tumblr that I wanted to share!

Nothing says love like a chainsaw I suppose! The caption on this fanart wished everyone a happy valentines day.

Also Doom and Namor!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Awwww....I like these valentines you guys found the one with Wanda and Victor is so cute! And what can you say about Doom and Namor....we need these 2 in a story together again!
    We definitely do! It's been far too long since their last meeting. (Not counting Enter the Phoenix because that comic is trash)
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Thanks for adding some more Valentines, IW! I can't understand why Marvel has kept them apart so long. I wish Marvel would revive their team up titles, maybe one for the heroes like the original and one for the bad guys or even not so bad guys

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I honestly think Ewing will address it in some way to make Doom more palatable. It's either that, or he'll frame the plot in a way that even working with someone as reprehensible and vile as a mass murder is necessary to save far more lives.

Obviously, I'm not the biggest Doom fan, but I wouldn't want this level of atrocity hanging over Doom's head. If Thanos wipes out a universe that's fine, but not Doom. At least not for such simplistic reasons as not being able to countenance his own shortcomings during the briefest of exchanges. Reed may have primed him, and Good Doom may have acted as an accelerant, but an adult, let alone a ruling monarch, has to have better restraint than that.

I almost feel like Cantwell was going for a Michael Corleone rise to Godfather unveiling with various sequences of violent and, in his eyes, necessarily despicable acts proving to be Doom's crowning moment. But he went too far in wiping out the "Good Mirror" universe.
    I agree....I was not real happy with that facet of the conclusion. Cantwell has gone on Twitter saying it was a "crime of passion". While it is true that it was hinted at with the early appearance of Mistress Death I still sometimes wonder if part of the editorial input was to make sure Doom makes a heel turn at some point. The only saving grace is that they were essentially fictional cannon fodder, just a prop. We can go back and look at how the Reed and the Illuminati were part of mass destruction during the lead up to Secret Wars. Even when they bailed, Thanos just took up the slack during the ongoing incursions. I think that is a dangerous device to use in storytelling. Even if the characters that get killed are just props, it still has a lingering effect.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I agree....I was not real happy with that facet of the conclusion. Cantwell has gone on Twitter saying it was a "crime of passion". While it is true that it was hinted at with the early appearance of Mistress Death I still sometimes wonder if part of the editorial input was to make sure Doom makes a heel turn at some point. The only saving grace is that they were essentially fictional cannon fodder, just a prop. We can go back and look at how the Reed and the Illuminati were part of mass destruction during the lead up to Secret Wars. Even when they bailed, Thanos just took up the slack during the ongoing incursions. I think that is a dangerous device to use in storytelling. Even if the characters that get killed are just props, it still has a lingering effect.
    Oddly enough, as horrible as the act was, I'd be disappointed if this was the only event that Mistress Death foresaw. She can't be done with Doom so easily. After all, in the grand scheme of things, Thanos delivered to her more than half the souls across the multiverse. One is a feast. The other is a grain of microbial salt for a meal. For Doom to be Death's avatar, witting or not, willing or not, he'll need to have a direct hand in many more deaths... and maybe in the future we'll see that come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Oddly enough, as horrible as the act was, I'd be disappointed if this was the only event that Mistress Death foresaw. She can't be done with Doom so easily. After all, in the grand scheme of things, Thanos delivered to her more than half the souls across the multiverse. One is a feast. The other is a grain of microbial salt for a meal. For Doom to be Death's avatar, witting or not, willing or not, he'll need to have a direct hand in many more deaths... and maybe in the future we'll see that come to fruition.
    Thanos only killed half of everything in 616, not the whole multiverse. The Infinity Gems can't affect any universes outside of their native ones.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’m hoping Cantwell has a story lined up between the two monarchs soon.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

As much as I want that SVTU reunion to happen, I was more intrigued with what Cantwell was considering for a second arc to the Doom series..

I would've loved to have done a second arc. No **** my idea for a second arc was: Doom has a stroke in the first issue, and becomes somewhat incapacitated for a while, leaving his rule vulnerable again.
    But, and I kid you not, as Doom reflects on his own mortality, he was going to hire / kidnap the greatest living Latverian music composer and force her to write an opera that was to be the history of Latveria's (and thusly his) glory. But as it gets written Doom begins to reflect on (actual) things he did in his past that weren't so great. So at times he rewrites them to make himself look better and at others he lays it all bare and raw.

It was going to be written entirely from the perspective of the composer. The structure of it came from the film Amadeus, where Salieri is desperately trying to keep up with a dying Mozart as he writes the Requiem.