Page 29 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I am loving doom in Guardians. lol. This last issue was great, i'm all in now. lol
    Yeah, this issue was a lot of fun playing around with the mind transfer thing. I just knew Doom would end up in Rocket's body somehow. I wonder how long Ewing will get to keep Doom in the series? I imagine he will at least finish out the current arc before Ewing has to let him go.

FYI: Doom....I mean Doctor Juggernaut did not appear in this week's issue of Heroes Reborn if you want to save your money for something more worthwhile
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-12-2021 at 08:52 PM.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I should have gotten the Kirby one but picked the Ron Lim one. I wonder if I go back to the LCS if they will have the Kirby one still there. I'm not seeing a difference in the Skottie Young covers except the color pink being darker. Is there something I'm missing?
    The actual covers don't have the 60 years logo. The non-variant cover does though. None of the variant covers have it.

Also, every variant cover features Doom, which is cool as beans. My LCS said some stores are charging upwards of $60 for the Kirby variant - which is odd since that art has appeared on multiple covers before. I like it, but it's not that special.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    The actual covers don't have the 60 years logo. The non-variant cover does though. None of the variant covers have it.

Also, every variant cover features Doom, which is cool as beans. My LCS said some stores are charging upwards of $60 for the Kirby variant - which is odd since that art has appeared on multiple covers before. I like it, but it's not that special.
    Wow.....that is insane especially since IIRC Marvel dropped that practice of making the LCS order more of the original cover to get just one variant. I just simply check off the issue I want on the Previews check list which a take to the LCS with me. I asked for the one with just Doom and his mystery bride by Ron Lim.

I don't recall that Kirby one being on other covers....which ones? Was it a variant on the Doom series that I missed?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post

Wow.....that is insane especially since IIRC Marvel dropped that practice of making the LCS order more of the original cover to get just one variant. I just simply check off the issue I want on the Previews check list which a take to the LCS with me. I asked for the one with just Doom and his mystery bride by Ron Lim.

I don't recall that Kirby one being on other covers....which ones? Was it a variant on the Doom series that I missed?
    Nope. Marvel hasn't dropped that practice. The Kirby cover is more expensive, since it's what they are calling "Hidden Gem" variants, i.e. old classic art, and the ratio is usually 1:100.

It is awesome to see all those covers. I do like the Peach Momoko one. I didn't realize it (at least the non-virgin, FF logo one) was one of the 'regular' variants or I would have asked for one.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Nope. Marvel hasn't dropped that practice. The Kirby cover is more expensive, since it's what they are calling "Hidden Gem" variants, i.e. old classic art, and the ratio is usually 1:100.

It is awesome to see all those covers. I do like the Peach Momoko one. I didn't realize it (at least the non-virgin, FF logo one) was one of the 'regular' variants or I would have asked for one.
    Thanks for the info. I suppose it's a good thing I didn't ask for the Kirby one or they probably would have charged more. I'm sure some collector probably did order the Jack Kirby cover and probably paid the extra. Doing a quick search the cheapest one I found so far is $54 at Midtown Comics website.

If you're lucky maybe an LCS in your area ordered some of the variants that were just the regular price or you can buy one online. I have 3 that are nearby.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

I know that the Kirby art featured in the World's Greatest Comic book series ... Or at least I thought it was. Can't find it now. I know the art was familiar, but now I can't find where I've seen it before. My bad, I guess.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

It's from Fantastic Four #84, the last great Doom arc by Stan and Jack. It mostly takes place in Latveria. I once read somewhere in one of my Jack Kirby Collector magazines that it took Joe Sinnott 2 hours just to ink the gun.

Prices for Kirby’s cover are insane (still going for 60$ on ebay). But I really understand the sellers’ point of view… having to order 100 regular issues for one variant cover is nonsensical. I will never understand this practice…
    Thankfully the price for Schiti wrap around cover dropped, so I managed to get one. In the end I’ve got all the variant covers except Kirby’s one. My favorite is Ron Lim’s.

And with all the money I’ve spent in variant covers, I haven’t bought the digital issue… that means I’m gonna wait two weeks before I can read it. Is it good? Tell me no one’s hurt Victor… I’m still afraid of Slott

Quote Originally Posted by FRC Coazze View Post
    Prices for Kirby’s cover are insane (still going for 60$ on ebay). But I really understand the sellers’ point of view… having to order 100 regular issues for one variant cover is nonsensical. I will never understand this practice…
    Thankfully the price for Schiti wrap around cover dropped, so I managed to get one. In the end I’ve got all the variant covers except Kirby’s one. My favorite is Ron Lim’s.

And with all the money I’ve spent in variant covers, I haven’t bought the digital issue… that means I’m gonna wait two weeks before I can read it. Is it good? Tell me no one’s hurt Victor… I’m still afraid of Slott
    The issue is divided into two segments and in the first Doom only appears as a holographic transmission. I am disappointed in Victorious in this issue and I will put a spoiler tag if you want to pass it up

If you have seen the preview you know that Zora has a very low opinion of Johnny

spoilers:
    TAfter the event at the Latverian Embassy is over you get a scene with Victorious and Johnny in bed together. Luckily she gets a warning that a transmission from Doom is on its' way. Johnny hides under the bed while Doom proposes/commandsher to be his Queen. She will act in his place while he goes off to handles some upcoming menace in Guardians of the Galaxy. She readily accepts this even while Johnny is there hiding. The more I thought about it it was like Doom played for a fool with her cheating on him with one of the FF
    end of spoilers

The second is a duel between Victor and Reed and it is the better part of the comic. I like that Doom didn't wear his armor for that.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I really disliked how Slott wrote Human Torch, he really made me angry this issue but I my guess was that Slott wrote that encounter with Zora because of the previous complains about Zore being considered Victorīs daughter and now heīs going to marry her so this sudden relationship with Johny looks to me like he wants to add some distance from that concept, even Victorīs proposal sounded more like a mission for Zora to be Latveriaīs Monarch and his Wife than an actual proposal based on romantic feelings. Both things are really unnecesary and I wish Victor married someone he loves at least but this is the impression Slott gave me with this scene. I think this whole marriage thing will be a short lived event made to justify Doomīs presence in Guardians of the Galaxy. All this could have been avoided if he left Cristoff like he always did before or Zora herself as his representant but I guess he have to have drama.

Loved Victorīs and Reed duel lol way to ask him to be his best man, Doom canīt just ask someone like a normal person, he has to make a ceremony of it, I really enjoyed the duel and for the first time they looked like kind of honorable freenemies to me
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 05-15-2021 at 03:09 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I really disliked how Slott wrote Human Torch, he really made me angry this issue but I my guess was that Slott wrote that encounter with Zora because of the previous complains about Zore being considered Victorīs daughter and now heīs going to marry her so this sudden relationship with Johny looks to me like he wants to add some distance from that concept, even Victorīs proposal sounded more like a mission for Zora to be Latveriaīs Monarch and his Wife than an actual proposal based on romantic feelings. Both things are really unnecesary and I wish Victor married someone he loves at least but this is the impression Slott gave me with this scene. I think this whole marriage thing will be a short lived event made to justify Doomīs presence in Guardians of the Galaxy. All this could have been avoided if he left Cristoff like he always did before or Zora herself as his representant but I guess he have to have drama.

Loved Victorīs and Reed duel lol way to ask him to be his best man, Doom canīt just ask someone like a normal person, he has to make a ceremony of it, I really enjoyed the duel and for the first time they looked like kind of honorable freenemies to me
    Yes that's the one thing I think Slott did right in this issue was the story with the duel.

I agree with you about Doom and his marriage proposal to Zora. Probably right after the ceremony he'll be off to save the universe....again!

And I am also fed up with how Johnny has been handled by writers these days. IMO only Hickman and then James Robinson made him more mature. I didn't like the way Lyja and Alicia were handled either. Alicia is starting to turn into her stepfather!

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Yes that's the one thing I think Slott did right in this issue was the story with the duel.

I agree with you about Doom and his marriage proposal to Zora. Probably right after the ceremony he'll be off to save the universe....again!
    Yes I think thatīs how marvel justifies him being with the GOTG and he looks like he has more idea than them about this new Anhiliation so I expect him to play a big role, Ewing said he would make war as "Only Doom can" so itīs going to be good, also canīt wait to read him on SWORD interacting with Mags and on the Gala. ;D

And I am also fed up with how Johnny has been handled by writers these days. IMO only Hickman and then James Robinson made him more mature. I didn't like the way Lyja and Alicia were handled either. Alicia is starting to turn into her stepfather!
    Johnny was kind of like this at the beggining of Hickmanīs run, didnīt read Robinsonīs, inviting that girl who ended openning the way to the negative zone but he learned better after it, at least when it comes to his responsibility as a superhero, I think he still has a way to go respecting peopleīs, especially women, feelings. The last truly serious relationship I remember from him was the one he had with Medusa and she left him to get back to Black Bolt, imo if Slott wants to make an exploration of this there are better ways to do it, he could write him learning to mature on the relationship side as well, loved Luna telling him off, totally deserved

I actually kind of liked Alicia scene, itīs left ambigous if itīs really her or her daughter but I think her motive behind it was that she wanted to protect her family but yes, sheīs dangerously getting into "pupped master territory" so lest hope Slott only has her do that at the moment.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 05-15-2021 at 04:43 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I think the only design that may beat Doom's classic look is 2099. I absolutely love it.

The blue caped 2099 armor is still my favorite along with the red caped version. Pat Broderick was great with Doom designs, in my opinion. I didn’t care for the yellow trimmed green caped version... and whatever artist took over took over that book near the end made everyone look like melting candles... (edit: googles it Jeff Lafferty)

The Simonson armor is my second favorite. There’s just something majestic and imposing about it that I loved. Maybe my opinion is skewed because it’s the first armor I saw when I became a regular reader of FF. Saw issue 350 on the spinner rack at Waldenbooks and thought it looked cool and I became a lifelong FF fan. Then I read the three part Excalibur origin of the armor (in another art disaster, IMO by Mark Badger) and we find out it’s Prometheum armor from Limbo (Magik).