Page 4 of 62 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Not familiar with this actor and I've seen this stuff around too. He looks too old to me! and not particularly good looking checked his bio.....for cryin' out loud...he's 62!!!

I really like Giancarlo Esposito but I don't think he is the right choice for Doom. He usually plays the smug, calm and collected villain and Doom should be a bit more intimidating and grandiose for me.

I don't think I've ever seen anything he's been in. Never heard of him before until a few months back when I saw some postings about him being a possible casting choice.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Not familiar with this actor and I've seen this stuff around too. He looks too old to me! and not particularly good looking checked his bio.....for cryin' out loud...he's 62!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I really like Giancarlo Esposito but I don't think he is the right choice for Doom. He usually plays the smug, calm and collected villain and Doom should be a bit more intimidating and grandiose for me.
    I think he's pretty intimidating. But not so sure about the grandiose / bombastic side. He's definitely got a cool, deadly persona in his more famous roles.

I don't think I've ever seen anything he's been in. Never heard of him before until a few months back when I saw some postings about him being a possible casting choice.
    Giancarlo has done tons of stuff over the years. But he was one the main villains in the last two seasons of the Mandalorian. He was Moff Gideon. And he was awesome. Especially the first season. He was also in Breaking Bad, as Gus Fring, the owner of Los Pollos Hermanos, but really a crime boss. He was awesome in that also, and very scary. I didn't realize he was that age, but he's a great actor. I think he's a bit short and not as big, for Doom, but the man has presence.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I think he's pretty intimidating. But not so sure about the grandiose / bombastic side. He's definitely got a cool, deadly persona in his more famous roles.

Giancarlo has done tons of stuff over the years. But he was one the main villains in the last two seasons of the Mandalorian. He was Moff Gideon. And he was awesome. Especially the first season. He was also in Breaking Bad, as Gus Fring, the owner of Los Pollos Hermanos, but really a crime boss. He was awesome in that also, and very scary. I didn't realize he was that age, but he's a great actor. I think he's a bit short and not as big, for Doom, but the man has presence.
    Needless to say, I've seen none of those that you've mentioned He's not done much lately but one young-ish actor that I've been advocating to play Victor as a young man would be British actor Aneurin Barnard. It would be a small part since it would be college age Doom if they ever decide to do a full blown origin. He played Richard of Gloucester later Richard III in the White Queen mini series (on the right). He was also in a mini series of War and Peace and a small part in Dunkirk. Later on, you would probably go the Darth Vader route anyway and just get a good voice actor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There's a new interview with Christopher Cantwell posted: Comic Watchers Show episode 112 Interview with Christopher Cantwell (January 14, 2021). The conversation starts with his Iron Man series and switches to a discussion of the Doctor Doom series at the 42 minute mark. There is also a viewer question about Boris and Kristoff at the that gets answered at the 59 minute mark. I am disappointed that there is no love for Kristoff although he does propose having a sibling rivalry between him and Victorious. As for Boris, he does talk about something that may have developed with Boris and the new character Petra had he continued with their story. It would be interesting to see how that worked out if Petra became a Doom zealot and if Boris would be on board with that.

He also goes into the idea about his second arc and Doom having an opera composed about his life. It sounds like it would be autobiographical like Books of Doom but told in a musical collaboration with a young Latverian composer. I think this is what I like about Cantwell....he has such an original approach to storytelling and IMO gave Doom a very distinct voice. I didn't always like everything about the series but I think like Books of Doom and other favorites of mine, it is one that I will go back and read again from time to time.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-16-2021 at 12:43 PM.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Iron Maiden if you haven't seen Breaking Bad you really should. It's amazingly good. Also a good look at a good man gone bad, for reasons that seem realistic and well thought out. It's also about redemption. Bryan Cranston plays a fantastic Walter White, and Giancarlo is a charming, cunning, thoroughly cutthroat mob boss with a coldness you can feel. The rest of the case is all kinds of good too, and the writing is superb.

Bryan Cranston was the voice of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3dpghfRBHE

Also Giancarlo was terrific in The Mandalorian too. He doesn't look as old as he is, but he would not be able to play a 30 or 40 year old Doom. Plus, he's not big enough. He has the body of a dancer. I've always felt like Doom should be physically intimidating, even without the armor. Few actors I've seen proposed fit the ideal for me - dark, big, eastern European vibe, gravitas, size, voice, eyes, but ... I'm not a casting director. So it will be interesting to see who they choose.

ds
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Iron Maiden if you haven't seen Breaking Bad you really should. It's amazingly good. Also a good look at a good man gone bad, for reasons that seem realistic and well thought out. It's also about redemption. Bryan Cranston plays a fantastic Walter White, and Giancarlo is a charming, cunning, thoroughly cutthroat mob boss with a coldness you can feel. The rest of the case is all kinds of good too, and the writing is superb.

Also Giancarlo was terrific in The Mandalorian too. He doesn't look as old as he is, but he would not be able to play a 30 or 40 year old Doom. Plus, he's not big enough. He has the body of a dancer. I've always felt like Doom should be physically intimidating, even without the armor. Few actors I've seen proposed fit the ideal for me - dark, big, eastern European vibe, gravitas, size, voice, eyes, but ... I'm not a casting director. So it will be interesting to see who they choose.

ds
    I don't know....I feel like I just don't want to dive into a show that ran that many episodes. Thanks for the suggestion though. I might get into it someday but not any time soon. I'm going to get into the Marvel stuff since I just started a DisneyPlus sub and will watch Wandavision tonight and will be checking out the Loki series.

As for casting Doom, I feel like they may go to a relative unknown and maybe get lucky as they did with Tom Hiddleston and Loki. It seems like they've had success going that route with casting like that and Chris Hemsworth as Thor. I think why Hiddleston works as Loki is his experience on the stage and having studied at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts. Actors today don't look down on acting in films like those in the MCU as they would have in the past.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-16-2021 at 12:52 PM.

I think Giancarlo absolutely has the chops to play Doom, but I think the issue lies in his age (unless they went just for voice, like James Earl Jones for Vader) and also the simple fact that he’s very typecast as the villain nowadays (Gus in BrBa, Moff Gideon in Mando, Stan Edgar in The Boys) which is why he’s such a popular choice for the normie crowd and thereby I think, a bit unimaginative lol. But as popular Doom fancasts go, I think he might BE one of the best of the bunch when it comes to raw talent and also honestly, the fact that he’s not white. Doom’s Romani heritage is absolutely crucial to depicting him and yet, I doubt they’ll cast accurately, which is going to sow the seeds of a subpar adaptation in my honest opinion. I think at least letting him be played by a man of color is a halfway compromise I wouldn’t love, but I would want to see.

WRT Cantwell’s recent interview, I always like hearing his perspective on Doom because I think he really really gets him, and even things that I disagree with, like the ending of #10, I can see the rationale in some form. I think his one blind spot is definitely Kristoff though, and I think he’s putting way too much weight into an original character dreamed up by Dan Slott just 2 years ago. Kristoff’s Romani like Doom is, Doom pledged to his mother that he would keep them safe and she died in front of him. He swore to take care of Kristoff and took him as an heir - that’s incredibly compelling on its own, to say nothing of how Kristoff grew into his own in Tom Defalco’s F4, pulled between loyalty to his adoptive father and his own moral compass. There’s a lot of potential with him and it’s a shame that CC doesn’t appreciate that. I also think making Victorious more a daughter figure is a mistake. She reads much more like a Lancer-type figure to me and she should stay that way. I like the idea of Doom taking women as his professional right-hands; that even extended into the Harrowing of Doom novel that came out recently.

I also liked hearing Cantwell’s POV on how Reed fit into the second arc he might’ve done. Between this interview and that GamesRadar one, I’ve consistently gotten the feeling he perceives the dynamic as less than platonic, which is interesting considering he has a really solid handle on Doom and their messy relationship. His take does feel informed by canon and subtextually comes across in issue #9 imo, with how easily Reed got under his skin.
    Last edited by connorhawkes; 01-16-2021 at 02:24 PM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post

ds
    Breaking Bad is such an excellent show. I would love an actual Romani actor for Doom but it's up to Marvel to cast them. They just need to get the character RIGHT. Why I love the 1994 Doom better than any other Doom was the actor went all in, and also they never took off the mask to show his face once it was donned on the character. If any of you watch The Mandalorian the title character has only taken his helm off for two episodes in 2 seasons of the show. the entire first season I was so surprised how they waited until the finale for that first reveal. They should do the same for Doom, not show his face at all for several movies if he is in a mutli movie deal. The way the actor moved and his voice acting was so excellent. If they plan on never showing Victor's face then they need an amazing voice actor. Doom's mask and look is iconic but seeing other FF movies treat his character like it was so easy for him to take off the mask is annoying.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Breaking Bad is such an excellent show. I would love an actual Romani actor for Doom but it's up to Marvel to cast them. They just need to get the character RIGHT. Why I love the 1994 Doom better than any other Doom was the actor went all in, and also they never took off the mask to show his face once it was donned on the character. If any of you watch The Mandalorian the title character has only taken his helm off for two episodes in 2 seasons of the show. the entire first season I was so surprised how they waited until the finale for that first reveal. They should do the same for Doom, not show his face at all for several movies if he is in a mutli movie deal. The way the actor moved and his voice acting was so excellent. If they plan on never showing Victor's face then they need an amazing voice actor. Doom's mask and look is iconic but seeing other FF movies treat his character like it was so easy for him to take off the mask is annoying.
    I like Julian McMahon in other things, like Cole in Charmed or the wildly libidinous Dr. Troy in Nip Tuck but I don't think a character like Doom was in his wheelhouse. And McMahon wasn't even full Doom until the very end of each movie. And in the second one they gave him an all black costume. I don't even know why he needed the mask since he got miraculously healed during the encounter with the Silver Surfer's cosmic blast IIRC. The scripts for Fox's FF movies didn't give McMahon very much help in any case. The Josh Trank film was just a mess although I did like some parts of Toby Kebbel's role in the very beginning. By the time Doom came back towards the end as the burned Crash Test dummy it was a lost cause.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I'd rather see Giancarlo Esposito portray Owen Reece, the Molecule Man. Complete with the lightning bolt tattoos on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'd rather see Giancarlo Esposito portray Owen Reece, the Molecule Man. Complete with the lightning bolt tattoos on his face.
    Now that sounds like an interesting casting. BTW, poor Molecule Man gets very little love in the merchandizing department. the only figure I've seen was from the lead figures that Eaglemoss made some years back. They had to stop making them after a while because there were issues importing them from the UK to the US. The had to change the materials they use when they create their figures.

He's in the back row of my display of Fantastic Four characters. I can't even remember if Owen has made any appearances lately.....I think he died again early in Slott's Fantastic Four run after SW but I'd have to go back and see. I started skipping reading his run a while back even though I had them on my pull list. I think it was early on in his first volume.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-18-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Things have been quiet lately with no Doom appearances on the horizon. Nothing in the April solicits.

Artist Cian Tormey posted this a little while ago on his Twitter.....I like the photo reference he is using

I wonder if this Darkhold event or whatever is being worked on again. I recall there was a cover with Doom on it but I don't know if this was something that got "lost" in the pandemic.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-21-2021 at 05:18 PM.

Talking

I'm deeply offended by the implications of this pic. Sure both are old of touch oligarchic politicians but everyone knows Doom is far more intelligent than Biden. Plus, Doom has a 100% approval rating in his country granted people have no option but to approve of his rule, still, that's an impressive number.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-21-2021 at 07:06 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."