Page 43 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    LOL it's one of those funny one off comic things that are just nice to have fun with. Also the Spidey Stories Doom is very funny. I think Doom has outgrown the "twirling mustached villain" of the 60s, I can't pinpoint exactly when that was dropped for the more serious Doom of today but hopefully I will see his growth as I read through more of his comics.
    It started it small increments and then sometimes was abandoned. I'd say the first Doom solo story that didn't have him coming up with some plot against the FF or a plan of world conquest was probably Astonishing Tales #8 by Gerry Conway. That story from the early 1970's was the seed that inspired Roger Stern's GN Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom : Triumph and Torment.

Conway would later write another Doom appearance in his Sub-Mariner run that may have been intended in the Astonishing Tales series. This was a time when Marvel has these shared titles. Astonishing Tales featured Doom and Ka-Zar but Doom's solo came to an abrupt stop after issue #8 and then it was just Ka-Zar. But issue #8's last page teased another Doom story that never appeared

Gerry Conway would become the writer of the Sub-Mariner solo title ( #40-49) for a while and perhaps only coincidentally he titles the first issue of a 3 part story "Deathmasque" with Doom and Namor teaming up. In this story Doom seeks the Cosmic Cube but not for the reason Sub-Mariner suspects. Doom does not want to use the Cube for world conquest but he saw it as a chance to transform himself so that he was no longer scarred. I have volume 6 of the Marvel Masterworks HC collection of the Sub-Mariner series which includes his 10 issue run from #40-49 (#39 was Roy Thomas's last issue and is included here). Conway wrote an interesting forward to this in which he describes going to the local candy story with his mother when he was 9 years old and the cover of Fantastic Four #4, which featured Sub-Mariner's debut into the MU caught his eye. Ten years later when he was 19 Stan hired him to write for Marvel Comics. Six months later, he would be writing the Sub-Mariner series. He describes this Sub-Mariner/Doom tale "a partially successful exploration of his (Namor's) ongoing friendship/rivalry with Marvel's other hero-villain Doctor Victor von Doom" So he would be one of the first of the new generation of Marvel writers to look at Doom that way, something we see in the earlier Astonishing Tales story.

Me and several other FF fans have been keeping a close eye on the FF official twitter but it hasn't posted anything except the director's name as of yet. https://twitter.com/FantasticFour
    Thanks! I didn't know they created that Twitter account.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It started it small increments and then sometimes was abandoned. I'd say the first Doom solo story that didn't have him coming up with some plot against the FF or a plan of world conquest was probably Astonishing Tales #8 by Gerry Conway. That story from the early 1970's was the seed that inspired Roger Stern's GN Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom : Triumph and Torment.

Conway would later write another Doom appearance in his Sub-Mariner run that may have been intended in the Astonishing Tales series. This was a time when Marvel has these shared titles. Astonishing Tales featured Doom and Ka-Zar but Doom's solo came to an abrupt stop after issue #8 and then it was just Ka-Zar. But issue #8's last page teased another Doom story that never appeared

Gerry Conway would become the writer of the Sub-Mariner solo title ( #40-49) for a while and perhaps only coincidentally he titles the first issue of a 3 part story "Deathmasque" with Doom and Namor teaming up. In this story Doom seeks the Cosmic Cube but not for the reason Sub-Mariner suspects. Doom does not want to use the Cube for world conquest but he saw it as a chance to transform himself so that he was no longer scarred. I have volume 6 of the Marvel Masterworks HC collection of the Sub-Mariner series which includes his 10 issue run from #40-49 (#39 was Roy Thomas's last issue and is included here). Conway wrote an interesting forward to this in which he describes going to the local candy story with his mother when he was 9 years old and the cover of Fantastic Four #4, which featured Sub-Mariner's debut into the MU caught his eye. Ten years later when he was 19 Stan hired him to write for Marvel Comics. Six months later, he would be writing the Sub-Mariner series. He describes this Sub-Mariner/Doom tale "a partially successful exploration of his (Namor's) ongoing friendship/rivalry with Marvel's other hero-villain Doctor Victor von Doom" So he would be one of the first of the new generation of Marvel writers to look at Doom that way, something we see in the earlier Astonishing Tales story.

Thanks! I didn't know they created that Twitter account.
    OH wow!!! I didn't know that Conway's Doom and Doom's time with Namor was basically the start of other writers seeing Doom as cool for more than just FF stories. I mean I knew that Victor & Namor were the first official Super Villain Team Up in FF #6. These two have to be my all time favorite characters so I love learning more about them. I had hoped we would see the two of them speak as frenemies or something in the last FF issue but I supposed I was asking too much of Slott

I love T&T and have you heard the rumors of it being adapted with Doctor Strange? It's all hearsay bc I can't find a single source for it. However to get a storyline like that would be my 3rd choice after a FF or Doom movie.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

OH wow!!! I didn't know that Conway's Doom and Doom's time with Namor was basically the start of other writers seeing Doom as cool for more than just FF stories. I mean I knew that Victor & Namor were the first official Super Villain Team Up in FF #6. These two have to be my all time favorite characters so I love learning more about them. I had hoped we would see the two of them speak as frenemies or something in the last FF issue but I supposed I was asking too much of Slott

I love T&T and have you heard the rumors of it being adapted with Doctor Strange? It's all hearsay bc I can't find a single source for it. However to get a storyline like that would be my 3rd choice after a FF or Doom movie.
    That would be a dream team up. Man even thinking about it gets me excited.

Yes, I've seen those rumors to and it's hard to figure out what may be true and what is just clickbait. Marvel-Disney has given out very little info or press releases about the FF and nothing about Doom. I do remember there being a statement or something in an interview that Roger Stern credits Gerry Conway as the source of his GN but I couldn't find it. I thought it might have been from the jacket cover of the hardback but that was done by John Byrne. But I think it's pretty obvious because he used the part about Doom's annual battle with the forces of the Netherworld to free his mother's soul. The only difference is that Mephisto came along after Conway's Astonishing Tales story. He makes his debut as Silver Surfer's main antagonist in Stan Lee's Silver Surfer series. BTW, I think Mephisto is one point in the case of Stan Lee creating a character after Jack Kirby has left Marvel. Many have asserted that Kirby did everything. think it was a collaboration. But that's another topic altogether.

As for Slott, I was hoping for a little something but I'm not surprised he didn't do anything for old times sake. I hope to see them meeting someday under better circumstances with better writers. I'd love to see a writer revisit their old SVTU relationship...Ewing would be good for that. but I lot of people are wondering if/when Hickman leaves the X-Men who would take over his role and the main architect of the line. Many are guessing he might be the candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    That would be a dream team up. Man even thinking about it gets me excited.
    Me too. But for now all we can go on is rumors. It seems like fate has been unkind and now we have the uncertainty of the pandemic that is delaying everything.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-17-2021 at 08:42 AM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Don't worry. You're English is great. I looked at the panel very quickly on first reading and really didn't "catch it" until I went back and looked again!

While scouting around tumblr I saw this custom (not sure if it's licensed or not) Doom figure. link to Instagram page

I haven't seen this one before. I'm guessing custom.

Not my cup of tea, but it appears Gentle Giant will be releasing a Zombie Doom bust.

Priced at $120, the NYCC 2021 Marvel Zombies Doctor Doom Bust is set to release in January 2022. Pre-orders are already live and can be found here, so be sure you get one before they sell out.
    https://bleedingcool.com/collectible...-giant-statue/
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Normally I'm not fond of the zombified Doom but this does look really cool. Thanks for posting that!

I finally got a Skottie Young Doom Pin! I love it

doompin.jpg

I finally got a Skottie Young Doom Pin! I love it

doompin.jpg
    Oh, that is so cool. I will have to find one. When I was at C2 E2 back around March of 2015, Marvel was promoting Hickman's Secret Wars that would be coming out in the summer. They had a bunch of Skottie Young's upcoming variant covers just laying on a table, free for the taking. I keep meaning to frame them. Then when I went again a couple years later they were giving out free prints of his variant cover from that year's event, Axis. That is the source of your pin.

axis-skottie-young-variant-102973.jpg

There was also a statue that came out back in March from the Diamond Select site
    Then last month they came out with a Secret Wars version in God Emperor Doom white outfit for SDCC. I am really tempted to get that too. I had a brake job done on my car that set me back so I may have to get that later.

For a while there was a drought of Doom merchandise, probably because of Fox still owning the IP and playing hardball about selling it back. Ike Perlmutter put a stop on doing any promo of FF and X-Men characters. Now in the past couple of years there's been so much coming out it's hard to keep up. Now I have 4 Marvel Legends figures, several Doom Funkos, a new Doctor Doom bust and that's just from 2020 -2021

I'm going to have to update this picture. I just got the Secret Wars Doctor Doom last month so it's not in this photo A few months back I took my Bowen Designs Doctor Doom out of the box where I keep it stored to take a picture. When I moved I ran out of space to put him.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-17-2021 at 09:07 PM.

Ahhh I love seeing Doom Merch. Forever jealous over that figure on the castle! Thanks for linking me to the source art of my pin! I never saw that cover.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I wish Marvel would license Doom to Japan's Banpresto (of Bandai) in its Q Posket Marvel line. It's more exclusive than Funko Pop. So far only a handful of MCU characters have figures. They're already available internationally.

https://www.banpresto.jp/qposket/item_marvel.html
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ahhh I love seeing Doom Merch. Forever jealous over that figure on the castle! Thanks for linking me to the source art of my pin! I never saw that cover.
    I know how that can happen. Sometimes I forget to check on the Diamond Previews site to see what variant covers are coming out. Sometimes they are going to be the same price as the usual cover. But other times the vendor/comic shop is notified when there will only be a limited number of a variant that will be printed. Then those can be really pricey.

I just looked at that new SW variant of Skottie Young's Doom and I see that it is sold out already. That could just mean that a bunch of vendors grabbed the for reselling. I hope the price doesn't get jacked up!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I wish Marvel would license Doom to Japan's Banpresto (of Bandai) in its Q Posket Marvel line. It's more exclusive than Funko Pop. So far only a handful of MCU characters have figures. They're already available internationally.

https://www.banpresto.jp/qposket/item_marvel.html
    Those look nice...and it doesn't look like they are bobble-heads. Sometimes I wish Funko would drop that feature. I did like their Rock Candy figures of female heroes. I had Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel and She Hulk. One of my nieces liked them so I gave them to her. I don't think they make them anymore at least I haven't seen any in the stores.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

I saw that announcement for the Zombie Doom bust too, but I'm not a fan. I probably will not get it, for $120 it is too ugly.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Congratulations on your win in this week's Cover Contest, Iron Maiden!

I'm sure that your subjects are truly pleased with the outcome!

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-19-2021 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Corrected Grammatical Errors.

Thanks! Went I went to sleep I didn't think I would win. In a few minutes I will be posting the thread for the new contest and it will feature Doom!