Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

If you all could pick 3 comics to share with a new Doom reader what would they be?
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    If you all could pick 3 comics to share with a new Doom reader what would they be?
    Here's My Top (3) Three choices...

1. Fantastic Four Annual #2 (1964)
    “Origin of Doctor Doom!” & “The Final Victory of Dr. Doom!”, both from Stan Lee/Jack Kirby!

2. Marvel Super Heroes: Secret Wars (1984)

3. Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment (1989)

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-07-2021 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Books of Doom from Ed Brubaker
    Marvel 2 in 1 Annual from Chip Zdarsky
    Doctor Doom series from Christopher Cantwell

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the Doom figure, IM. However, I'm not going to order it from Zavvi -

From a quick Google Search:

"Zavvi has a consumer rating of 1.1 stars from 170 reviews indicating that most customers are generally dissatisfied with their purchases. Consumers complaining about Zavvi most frequently mention customer service, live chat and release date problems. Zavvi ranks 103rd among DVD sites."

The Walmart site lists the figure as a Walmart exclusive and "sold out". Which explains why I've never seen it. But a search of Diamond Select Toys doesn't show the figure, it doesn't appear on any other retailer site that I usually buy from either. I'm not saying it's a scam, but I'm suspicious. Mostly because I've had my credit card numbers stolen a couple times after ordering from less than super web sites.

It is really a cool looking figure, and I'd love to have it. But I'll wait to see if it shows up on some other sites for now.
    Yes, I guess so. So far only Zavvi has a listing for it on eBay. I was not familiar with that Zavvi site either and would stick with a dealer I know. I may ask my LCS about it tomorrow but I have no Diamond listing to go by. I usually check their web sites catalog listing every month for comic books and the action figures and statues. I went back through them yesterday and never found it. I just find it odd that I never found a listing for it and no one had a write up about it at the usual comic book sites.

I find it hard to just limit it to three...but in no particular order

• Books of Doom This is an expansion of the brief origin in Fantastic Four annual #2 which begins from early childhood and ends with the deposing of the King of Latveria. I like how it goes into details concerning various events that were only briefly touched on in FF annual #2. For example it doesn't get to Doom's journey to Tibet after his accident in college until issue #4, which is quite a little adventure in itself.
    • Fantastic Four annual #2 Many fans call this the Doctor Doom annual since it is mostly about Doom! At this point in time it was highly unusual for a comic book title to have another character pretty much take over the title. And it is Doom's first meeting with his possible descendent Kang/Rama Tut.
    • Doctor Doom/Doctor Strange: Triumph and Torment At this point I think Marvel considers it a classic. It was out of print for many years but recently they have been issuing new editions. It's also going to be included in the upcoming Books of Doom omnibus that will be released in April 2022. Don't get confused by the title, it has 1336 pages for $125, which is a bargain. At that size, it will probably make you bookshelf sag!

Those would give you plenty of background but of the newer stuff, I'd also recommend Christopher Cantwell's Doctor Doom series and Infamous Iron Man by Bendis with art by Alex Maleev. This one takes place after Hickman's Secret Wars 2015, which I would also recommend. Speaking of Iron Man, I'd add the Iron Man team ups in Iron Man #149-150 and #249-250. Next to Doctor Strange, I like the team-ups they've had over the years. Cantwell had a funny that was a one shot that was loosely tied to the King in Black Event last December that featuring Doom and Iron Man teaming up against a Knullified Santa shortly after his Doom series ended.

[
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-07-2021 at 09:26 AM.

And we have a release date and cover for the Doctor Doom Book of Doom omnibus. The cover is by Greg Land and I hate to bring this up. But considering his reputation for swiping, the background looks very much like it comes from Pablo Raimondi's splash page scene of the interior of a cathedral from Books of Doom #6. I think there will be a variant cover and it might be John Byrne's cover from Champions, at least that is an image I saw linked to a listing for this book

Here is the splash page from Books of Doom and it is similar to this but it's more like Land is doing an homage with his cover. So "not guilty" on this one!

DOCTOR DOOM BOOK OF DOOM

Bow before the grandeur of Doctor Doom! The greatest villain of all is celebrated in a tome of tyranny six decades in the making! Featuring the Latverian ruler's first battle with the accursed Reed Richards and his Fantastic Four - and their most epic clashes since! Plus: Doom's unforgettable encounters with Spider-Man, Iron Man, the X-Men and the Avengers! A trip to hell with Doctor Strange! The power of the Beyonder! Victor von Doom's incredible life story contained in the Books of Doom! And more tales of the Lord of Latveria! Collecting FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #5-6, #39-40, #246-247, #258, #278-279, #350 and #352; AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963) #5; MARVEL SUPER-HEROES (1967) #20; GIANT-SIZE SUPER-VILLAIN TEAM-UP #1-2; SUPER-VILLAIN TEAM-UP #13-14; CHAMPIONS (1975) #16; AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL (1964) #14; UNCANNY X-MEN (1981) #145-147; IRON MAN (1968) #149-150; MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS #10-12; MARVEL GRAPHIC NOVEL: EMPEROR DOOM; MARVEL GRAPHIC NOVEL: DOCTOR STRANGE AND DOCTOR DOOM - TRIUMPH AND TORMENT; FANTASTIC FOUR (1998) #67-70 and #500; FANTASTIC FOUR SPECIAL and BOOKS OF DOOM #1-6 - plus material from FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #236, #358 and ANNUAL #2; ASTONISHING TALES (1970) #1-3 and #6-8 and MARVEL DOUBLE-SHOT #2.

In shops April 13 2022

Variant cover by Byrne

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-07-2021 at 09:59 AM.

Doomscribe, I was finally able to track down the announcement about that Walmart Exclusive Doom piece. It was announced on their Diamond Select Toys site, which is separate from their site for comics.

It was announced back on August 3rd on their Diamond Select Toys site, which is separate from the comics, during Collector Con (haven't heard about that one). They should be available soon because it just says Fall. I signed up on the Walmart site to be notified when it is in stock so I will have to see how that turns out. I hope you can pick it up at the store when they come in. So if anyone is interested, go to this page on Walmart and click on the "Get In-Stock Alert" button.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-08-2021 at 09:37 AM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Thank you all for the recs!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

The first three issues of Hellfire Gala are now on Unlimited and look who are having a grand time in X-Force #20:

Doom had his personal tankard with him mystically concealed I assume until he could bring it out for a proper opportunity. I wonder what drink Strange served him.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

While the latest issue of excalibur was hands down the best issue ever, i have to say howard get's all the bravado of doom but none of the subtly. It was a great issue for Doom but it kind of felt like a Doom bot turned up to HIGH no nonsense.

spoilers:
    also doom mentions while he would never think of getting married if he ever did, he would consider making Betsy his bride. Which seems like more for her status than anything else. The issue felt very final fantasy/meets black clover/meets xmen.
    end of spoilers
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    The first three issues of Hellfire Gala are now on Unlimited and look who are having a grand time in X-Force #20:

Doom had his personal tankard with him mystically concealed I assume until he could bring it out for a proper opportunity. I wonder what drink Strange served him.
    Thanks Ravin' Ray. I want to see more Doctor Doom and Doctor Strange tossing back a few together I think it's valid to say that Stephen is probably the closest thing to a friend/comrade that Victor has right now.

I figured it would be hard to track all the guest appearances at the Hellfire Gala. I try to only buy major guest appearances these days. But Unlimited sure does come in handy in case like this!

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Thank you all for the recs!
    You're welcome! And if you use the contents of that Doom omnibus, you'll find a lot of the major ( and some minor) stories there. Heck, it might be economical to order that or just subscribe to Marvel Unlimited if you haven't already. I see how it includes Marvel Double Shot #2, which touches upon the ill-fated romance between Victor and Valeria. Granted he messed that up or maybe I should say Mark Waid did. She hardly gets a mention these days so I was surprised when she did appear in Cantwell's Doom series but I will leave that to you if you want to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    While the latest issue of excalibur was hands down the best issue ever, i have to say howard get's all the bravado of doom but none of the subtly. It was a great issue for Doom but it kind of felt like a Doom bot turned up to HIGH no nonsense.

spoilers:
    also doom mentions while he would never think of getting married if he ever did, he would consider making Betsy his bride. Which seems like more for her status than anything else. The issue felt very final fantasy/meets black clover/meets xmen.
    end of spoilers
    Yes, I agree....Doom did protest too much...very cranky. spoilers:
    I guess he has decided to steer clear of any ideas about marriage for a while. I do wish this story had a little reunion with him and Morgan. At least they are still on good terms....I think
    end of spoilers

I was disappointed that there was no mention by Meggan about how Doom rescued her from Hell back in the annual for the Captain Britain and the MI 13 series.

BTW, were there some pages missing at the end of the comic? The ending seemed incomplete somehow. Then we got the JRjr story with Captain America and Spider-Man remembering 9/11. Boy and there's a Doom tie in to 9/11. I wonder if anyone here besides me remembers it. It was a bit controversial. And JRjr drew that too.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-08-2021 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    BTW, were there some pages missing at the end of the comic? The ending seemed incomplete somehow. Then we got the JRjr story with Captain America and Spider-Man remembering 9/11. Boy and there's a Doom tie in to 9/11. I wonder if anyone here besides me remembers it. It was a bit controversial. And JRjr drew that too.
    Definitely, I remember Doom being brought to tears during 9/11 (from Amazing Spider-Man, Vol.2 #36):

Last edited by K7P5V; 09-09-2021 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

I remember this was somewhat controversial at the time. Obviously, it would be only in the world of comic book fans since I can't recall any mention in the mainstream press about this. The story was published in December that year. There was an odd assortment of villains on that page. Kingpin is somewhat understandable since he is New Yorker and he likes the run things there. I believe Doctor Octopus is also a New Yorker, or at least he always appears there in Spider-Man comics. Juggernaut is a random choice IMO and many would say Doctor Doom is also.

There was a column about this story by long time contributor Brian Cronin (one of the few left from the days when the site was owned by Jonah Weiland) where he links to an interview where JRjr explains the origins of this page and why Doom is shown crying.

Call it symbolism or a metaphor.....any cliche will suffice, but my take was that all of us, good or bad, were shook up. ALL OF US!!So if this, issue #36, is beating anyone over the head with the symbolic hammer...so be it!If it was heavy-handed...fine! I was a part of it and I'm proud! It touched me and still does. It made a point and still does. It's being spoken about ...and still is! Taken literally, all comics are ridiculous. All of us suspend reality for a few hours everyday.... For enjoyment comics are wonderful. To get this point across to those who don't watch Dan Rather, it was effective. To be put under a microscope the way it has is ludicrous.

It was not Doc Doom and other villains at ground zero, just like it was not a young child crying for his fallen father. It was a representation...a symbol...a metaphor for real feelings and thoughts. It was, excuse the sugar-coating, JMS' and my heart and soul on those pages. I didn't ever cringe at the thought of those characters being in that spot. To me, it made sense. This kind of cowardly, unspeakable horror effects all of us...ALL OF US! I don't want to say..."Lighten Up"! I want everyone to concentrate on what happened on 9/11. Don't forget...Don't EVER forget!

I hope I don't trip getting down off this damn soap box!

I think JR jr explanation works. It was his way of capsulizing the horror of that day when a great evil failed to conquer us.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-11-2021 at 10:04 PM.