Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I recall posting about this interview on one of the earlier versions of this thread but I lost the link. I stumbled across it again quite by accident and anyone who is a fan of this GN or just a fan of Roger Stern will be interested this. I've not found very many recent interviews with the writer. I am also adding this to the intro page of this thread.

Interview with Roger Stern: Triumphs and Trials of the Writer by George Khoury . This link takes you to page 3 of the interview where Khoury asks Roger Stern about his work on the graphic novel Doctor Doom/Doctor Strange: Triumph and Torment
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-01-2021 at 07:57 PM.

This popped up on Marvels' Twitter account yesterday...There's been no other announcements about this AFAIK. For some reason, it does align in some ways with an idea I was thinking about after Doom appeared in Guardians of the Galaxy. And he has at times acted as a Guardian of the Galaxy, first against the Beyonder in Secret Wars 1985 and then again in Hickman's Fantastic Four/New Avengers/ Secret War 2015 arc. Now my thought is that many centuries into the future Doom would become somthing akin to the Guardian of Forever in TOS episode City on the Edge of Forever. I always loved Harlan Ellison's title for that script but his involvement in that is another story)

Scanning through Diamond's catalog for December, I did find a one-shot called Timeless and I haven't really paid much attention to it since Kang is on the cover and ever since the Loki series ended, Marvel Comics have been really pushing Kang. So I assume that Doom will be Kang's Big Bad in this, which means it will probably be another spot to promote Kang in the comics, who really hasn't had much of a presence up until now.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-03-2021 at 06:39 PM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Thanks for the link to that Stern interview!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    This popped up on Marvels' Twitter account yesterday...There's been no other announcements about this AFAIK. For some reason, it does align in some ways with an idea I was thinking about after Doom appeared in Guardians of the Galaxy. And he has at times acted as a Guardian of the Galaxy, first against the Beyonder in Secret Wars 1985 and then again in Hickman's Fantastic Four/New Avengers/ Secret War 2015 arc. Now my thought is that many centuries into the future Doom would become somthing akin to the Guardian of Forever in TOS episode City on the Edge of Forever. I always loved Harlan Ellison's title for that script but his involvement in that is another story)

Scanning through Diamond's catalog for December, I did find a one-shot called Timeless and I haven't really paid much attention to it since Kang is on the cover and ever since the Loki series ended, Marvel Comics have been really pushing Kang. So I assume that Doom will be Kang's Big Bad in this, which means it will probably be another spot to promote Kang in the comics, who really hasn't had much of a presence up until now.
    They've been revealing bits about TIMELESS since it was announced as one of Marvel's BIG upcoming projects. At first people thought it was an event, but it looks more like it is going to be a one-shot that probably will be like Marvel 1001, and will leave a bunch of hints / previews of future stories at Marvel. Maybe. LOL@

CBR posted a couple of articles about Timeless.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-teasing-k...r-doom-battle/

https://www.cbr.com/thanos-infinity-...marvel-teaser/

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-kang-time...iverse-teaser/

https://www.cbr.com/jed-mackay-marve...ess-interview/

One of them had this image, which I THOUGHT was Doom, but clearly, it's a very different Doom, with his tentacle self!

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    This is gorgeous! Where does it come from?
    Abe!!! Good to see you!

It's from the 90s Namor series, with art by Jae Lee. And yes, it was 90s EXTREME art, but it was pretty amazing.
    Please excuse the late response, had some issues to work out. But you're correct, Reviresco. Namor: the Sub-Mariner #33, to be exact.
    Many won't agree, but Jae Lee is an all-time fave (IMHO):

Last edited by K7P5V; 11-03-2021 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Please excuse the late response, had some issues to work out. But you're correct, Reviresco. Namor, the Sub-Mariner #33, to be exact.
    Many won't agree, but Jae Lee is an all-time fave (IMHO):

Jae Lee is great. His art in Fantastic Four: 1234 is one of my all time faves. I just love the moody aesthetic even if it may not be best suited to F4.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Jae Lee is great. His art in Fantastic Four: 1234 is one of my all time faves. I just love the moody aesthetic even if it may not be best suited to F4.
    I know, right?! He'd be excellent, if Doom ever got another ongoing...

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I know, right?! He'd be excellent, if Doom ever got another ongoing...

Damnit. Now I'm disappointed this isn't the reality.

Jae Lee is a favorite of mine and he hasn't really done much superhero work for Marvel lately. He was mostly working on one of their Stephen King comics but now I think he's freelancing and has done some variant covers.

The article has disappeared in the mists of time on the internet but I recall reading an article where Jae Lee's art for Fantastic Four 1234 was exhibited at a NYC museum for illustrative art. His website appears to be dormant so not much news there. Marvel released some preview art at the time, something which wasn't done very often back them. I saved them and over the years transferred them to whatever new PC I had. The quality is a bit fuzzy.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-04-2021 at 09:11 AM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I LOVE Jae Lee's art on that run. Gorgeous. And his early work on Namor was so atmospheric. Enjoyed it, and that story arc, immensely.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I LOVE Jae Lee's art on that run. Gorgeous. And his early work on Namor was so atmospheric. Enjoyed it, and that story arc, immensely.
    Me too. As you said, Jae Lee & dark fantasy really go together (XD)

Last edited by K7P5V; 11-04-2021 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

I missed this bit of news from earlier this week and did stumble across this announcement buried towards the bottom of Marvel's official site:
    Aconyte Reveals Four New Marvel Prose Novels arriving in Spring 2022

This is the same company and writer that published the prose novel The Harrowing of Doom about a year ago as part of their Marvel Untold novels. It is written by the same author, David Annandale. I'll post about the news about another novel called the Shadow Avengers where Doctor Strange is appearing in his thread here.

I read the first prose novel and I don't know if this will be a continuation of that. I may go back through it to pick up on some details but IIRC Prince Rodolpho appears in this and Doomscribe may correct me on that since I recall he bought this novel too. This would have placed the first novel outside of comics continuity since the former heir to the throne of Latveria died years ago in SVTU.

By David Annandale

The notorious Doctor Doom’s endless craving for power unleashes a soul-destroying plague on the world, in the latest devastating Marvel Untold novel

Victor von Doom saw his future for an instant, and now he cannot rest. His obsession with regaining those memories leads him into the arcane science of geomancy. As he delves into the ancient memories that lie beneath his land, Doom discovers a tremendous concentration of power… one that should never be explored. Doom’s excavations and necromancy fracture the prison of something awful: the Devourer of Souls.

Now free to roam Latveria, the Devourer spreads a plague of soul-hungry vampires. Doom must choose between seizing this power for himself or destroying it, before his realm is no more.

Link to product page at Aconyte with ordering information
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-05-2021 at 09:47 AM.

Artist Cian Tormey tweeted this preview of Victorious vs Wanda for the upcoming Darkhold Omega (December 22nd).

EDIT: My bad. This is actually from Darkhold Alpha. I assumed when Tormey posted it that is was a new piece. Oh well, it looks great anyway!

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-09-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I missed this bit of news from earlier this week and did stumble across this announcement buried towards the bottom of Marvel's official site:
    Aconyte Reveals Four New Marvel Prose Novels arriving in Spring 2022

This is the same company and writer that published the prose novel The Harrowing of Doom about a year ago as part of their Marvel Untold novels. It is written by the same author, David Annandale. I'll post about the news about another novel called the Shadow Avengers where Doctor Strange is appearing in his thread here.

I read the first prose novel and I don't know if this will be a continuation of that. I may go back through it to pick up on some details but IIRC Prince Rodolpho appears in this and Doomscribe may correct me on that since I recall he bought this novel too. This would have placed the first novel outside of comics continuity since the former heir to the throne of Latveria died years ago in SVTU.

By David Annandale

The notorious Doctor Doom’s endless craving for power unleashes a soul-destroying plague on the world, in the latest devastating Marvel Untold novel

Victor von Doom saw his future for an instant, and now he cannot rest. His obsession with regaining those memories leads him into the arcane science of geomancy. As he delves into the ancient memories that lie beneath his land, Doom discovers a tremendous concentration of power… one that should never be explored. Doom’s excavations and necromancy fracture the prison of something awful: the Devourer of Souls.

Now free to roam Latveria, the Devourer spreads a plague of soul-hungry vampires. Doom must choose between seizing this power for himself or destroying it, before his realm is no more.

Link to product page at Aconyte with ordering information
    Devourer of Souls, huh? I wonder if this Wrarrl from the old Conan comics. Porbably not, but Doom versus Wrarrl would be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Devourer of Souls, huh? I wonder if this Wrarrl from the old Conan comics. Porbably not, but Doom versus Wrarrl would be fun!
    It's been a long time since I read those classic Conan stories. I will have to look up that character. BTW, have you checked out the crazy trio of Doom, Conan of Doctor Strange in Savage Avengers? I'm not sure if it is in this week's issue or maybe next month but they will be reunited. Conan was given a set of Doom's armor to help him fight Kulan Gath but that didn't work out to well last month. The timeline jumps around a bit because at this point Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom are dead and this battle with Kulan Gath has been ongoing for most of the year. I imagine they must be finally coming to a conclusion.

Yeah, I've been hearing good things about Savage Avengers. I want to check it out but poverty.